Notices

Going Out

Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going Out

Hi there everyone. I have posted here before and have received such lovely, supporting posts and I really thank you all for that.

I was wondering, however, if someone could give me some advice? I am going out with my friends tonight, and I am going to try, with all my heart and soul, to stick to soft drinks and not touch alcohol. Can anyone give me any tips on how to do this? How can I be around an environment with alcohol without giving in and ruining it again? This is only my 4th day sober, and I am going to try so hard to continue this.

Thank you in advance. This website and all you lovely people have given me hope in ways that I never knew I could have before, as I thought I was all alone.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add another comment. I was thinking about not going out tonight and staying home instead. However, I really really want to prove to myself that I can go out, not drink and have fun without alcohol, or feeling the need to drink away my social anxiety/ previous problems I've had.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Emma, I can relate to this post of yours. I'm on day 13. In the first week, I definitely would have found it very difficult to go out with friends where the atmosphere would be a drinking one.

Maybe give yourself some more time before you go swimming in that pool? But if you go, and do feel tempted to drink, remember it is easier not to order the drink, not to have that first sip, than it is to stop yourself part way through.

And, of course, you'll feel great the next morning if you make it through the night with your soft drinks! Good luck!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Emma - it's okay to avoid situations with alcohol in early recovery. You don't need to prove anything to yourself. There is a lot going on with our bodies and minds in early recovery, so it's okay to step away from your normal routines for awhile until things start to settle down. Congratulations on 4 days. Keep up the great work.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, staying sober is a given. There is no try--only do. That being said, if you are going out with friends you always drank with before what do you expect to do? Seriously, if it's to catch up on whatever then that will take a half hour--what next. One need always have a contingency plan for these things. Seeing a band or dancing? Totally do-able if that's exactly what you're going FOR. I always went out for the "whatever" that could happen--not anymore. Spontaneity CAN happen but not without FIRM resolve to NOT DRINK NO MATTER WHAT. You don't sound so firm.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would simply not go. It's way too early and I would find something else to do than hang around alcohol. Remember all the negative stuff it has caused you.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I wouldnt go the risk of relapse is extremly high at day 4

Keep building sober muscles instead and keep working your sobriety plan in time much is possible
Old 03-13-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Emma,

I would stay home, for sure. I know you will find lots of times to prove to yourself that you can stay sober, but it's a bit early to be doing that now.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I know I couldn't have done it. I have to own my sobriety. If I think I'm at risk I don't go
Old 03-13-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Emma, when I got Sober I needed to seriously think and make some difficult decisions about the activities I was going to get involved in and the people I was going to hang out with.

You can't simply remove alcohol from your life and continue on as normal, Sobriety is going to take some work, you have to make it happen with actions, and Day 4 going out with friends, to a location that serves alcohol, probably shouldn't be on the list this early on IMO!!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are making it a test, I would say go for it. I know it is against what most here have said, but it is all about how you approach it. Make sure you let everyone know in advance what you are doing. If you go be strong and pass!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by waywardson8260 View Post
If you are making it a test, I would say go for it. I know it is against what most here have said, but it is all about how you approach it. Make sure you let everyone know in advance what you are doing. If you go be strong and pass!
The problem is when we test ourselves with alcohol we can win 100 times and alcohol only has to win once
Old 03-13-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
I would simply not go. It's way too early and I would find something else to do than hang around alcohol. Remember all the negative stuff it has caused you.
Ditto
Old 03-13-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried going out early on in my sober journey and always failed. I became hermit for a while till my brain dried out and I was on solid ground. I do go out now but it's with my family and I don't drink around them so its been working. Friends and pubs are still a no no.

I wish you all the best. Stay strong and don't put yourself in bad situations