Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How are you traveling witj your sobriety? Howl long have you bee sober?

Notices

How are you traveling witj your sobriety? Howl long have you bee sober?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all,

3 Months 19 days sober today.

My sobriety has been and is a success. Adapting to a life sober is my challenge.

My physical symptoms have improved since the 3 month period. I had over awareness of heart beating, panic attacks, realy felt out of it and light headed, couldnt focuz properly at times and thought there was something wrong with my eyes, constant stress about my health etc. Had eye tests doc checkup and he said im fine.

Thankfully this has cleared up with time. Initially I just wanted to chill in bed playing a game or watchjng TV.

Im finding I need to take it easy with stressful situations and keep it low. My tolerance for people seems less. But im slowly working on these things. Im guessing this is what sober life is about, dealing with life raw, unfiltered, unencumbered by Alcohol.

How its meant to be!

So anyway slowly adjusting to sober life, havent been as social with friends and family as most of them drink.

My advice, it does get better and you get used to being sober but its painfully slow.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on almost four months sober! I've been sober over five years. I had twenty years at one point until I started drinking again on '07.

My biggest help in getting sober, and it happened around the three month mark, was being grateful every day. Each day I'd find something to be grateful for. It gave me a whole new attitude and a more positive mindset.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been sober about 19 months. I have a wonderful support system with friends, family, and AA members who love me very much and keep me sober. I am very fortunate to have so many people in my life.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety, glad you joined us ;-)
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cheers guys,

The hardest thing at the moment is im sick of family and friends asking how not drinkings going etc. I know its well intended but it feels so patronizing makes me feel lke a freak.

Im a bit worried people wont like the sober me, as I know I was fun when I drank.

Most friends dont phone me any more those that do the fiest thing they ask me is if i still drink. Then its amazing how they seem to all of a sudden have other plans.

I do feel a bit hurt by that to be honest, and although I have a loving family with my partner and kids, I do miss male friendship company, just talking **** over a beer. Bloke stuff...

All life's stresses just melt away I miss that.

Drinking sure was fun. I enjoyed it. But im very grateful im sober as I was fast losing my health both physically and emotionally. Plus the hangovers were getting unbearable. And it was sending us broke.

I remember scrounging through thdecar for lose change so I could buy a cheap bottle of wine. My partner crying because we needed bread and milk forvthe kids....

I feel bad about that still...

Lifes better than that, but with a different set of challenges
Old 03-13-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats MrJustin
Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Justin you'll find that as you get more into this sober life you'll make new friends where the commonality isn't alcohol and you'll also keep some of the old ones.

There are plenty of ways to have male-to-male friendships without a beer. Consider your interests: cars? sports? computers? woodwork? I'll bet there are some community groups around.

ETA Sorry I forgot to answer your question. I've been sober for two years, since I arrived at SR two years and one week ago, after four decades of drinking.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

1156 days according to my iPhone app which I have had since day 1 lol.

Hardly think about drinking only think about how much of my life I wasted doing it.

The further you get into sobriety the more you see the absurdity of drinking and the culture that goes with it.

I am a different person in every aspect , thank god I done this , greatest gift to myself ever.