Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Did you live the party lifestyle when you drank? Share your drinking progression.

Notices

Did you live the party lifestyle when you drank? Share your drinking progression.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Did you live the party lifestyle when you drank? Share your drinking progression.

What type of drinking did you do?

Did you go to night clubs, chic lounges or bars?
Did you have one drinking buddy and just got wasted with them?
Did you have a significant other who drank just as heavily and you had to break up with them?

Just thought it would be an interesting discussion to bring up. As for me, my drinking started at 18/19 my freshman year of college and was not so heavy and just on par with everyone else. I did go out and get wasted Thursday, Friday and Saturday and feel perfectly fine! Oh the glory days.

Then when I got out out of school and became a young professional my drinking was still just weekends and I cut back consistently, but if I had a party night I'd be able to get through the day OK. Holiday parties, birthdays etc were messy. I went to clubs (nightclubs and lounges) a lot from age 23 to 27 maybe. I got tired of going to them because I found them boring. Then I just started drinking tons of wine by myself and never really stopped. Here i am early 30s trying to stop because I'm bloated and tired. Feel free to share.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drank alone, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh all by myself...

I had a few friends that we drank mucho when we got together over the years, I rarely went to bars, my job was such that I worked and came home - and drank for the past 24 years,
very few people knew how much I drank, and people were in disbelief when I told them...
Old 03-12-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started drinking socially when I first got divorced....then a couple bad relationships later it progressed to me isolating at home so I could drink without many people knowing how much I drank.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I drank all the time. Whether I was alone or at a party really didn't matter.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

My alcoholism progressed from normal drinking to to me being lost alone & scared drinking myself to an early grave in the end

it progressed to drinking a litre of vodka daily for at least 2.5 years if not a bit more but it then progressed to the point where i was just lost & had no alcohol but still wanted to drink

So glad i got sober i have no problem being one of the lucky ones
Old 03-12-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Who sang that song, Brain? I always turn it up when I hear it.

My drinking progressed from getting dressed up, going out to trendy bars/clubs to drinking at a local dive with other drunks and some days alone in my corner of the couch. All the "glamour" was gone....all that was left was me trying to make it to the bathroom before I puked.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

George Thorogood
Old 03-12-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Who sang that song, Brain? I always turn it up when I hear it.

My drinking progressed from getting dressed up, going out to trendy bars/clubs to drinking at a local dive with other drunks and some days alone in my corner of the couch. All the "glamour" was gone....all that was left was me trying to make it to the bathroom before I puked.
Minus the throwing up, this is exactly how I would describe my progression in the fact that it started out as glamorous. In my 20s, I would get all dressed up and make myself look pretty and go to the best places with friends. Then years passed and it just seemed like an illusion doing that living the socialite young professional lifestyle and I got bored going to bars, having dumb alcohol-riddled conversations with men and people I would never see again. So I moved the party to my home. Alone. I miss going out but it just seems so boring and shallow at this stage.

When I hit 30 days I just looked at bars and clubs and it just felt like some weird illusion that people stepped into... it's so freaking fake. You can't hear anyone talk, everyone is full of themselves, and the conversation can't get deeper than a kiddie pool because the music is too loud. Damn I sound like an OLD FART!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At the beginning of my drinking it would be done much more socially but by the end of my drinking I was drink all by myself.

See while I was alone I could get as drunk as I wanted. Didn't have to worry about causing a ruckus. That is all that mattered to me...being under the influence. Glad I don't have to be that person anymore. I am so happy to be living a sober life. <3
Old 03-12-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mine started off social, then as it progressed I would find myself drinking at home alone A LOT, mostly because I drank way more than any of my friends. Plus I knew if they knew how much I actually drank behind closed doors they would be concerned. In retrospect, I probably should have let someone know sooner.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Party lifestyle? That's a good one. The last few years of my drinking, the on,y invitations I ever got to do with parties were invitations to leave. As for work functions I was sometimes thanked for not turning up. Alcoholic drinking is not social to other people so much as sickening. They get tired of it real quick, at the same time I became tired sickened and fearful, but I couldn't leave it alone. The next one will be a party right? Never was, just another disaster.

Drank as much as I could whenever I could. Ended up with no friends, no money, no job, no family, no "buddy" even other alcoholics avoided me. No party lifestyle for me. In fact the last time I got into bar I actually sh1t myself while dancing. How glamorous is that?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I started off hating alcohol as my dad used to get aggressive when he drank when I was a kid/teen. But when my cousin started sneaking booze to my nan and grandads house on school holidays, I started to drink to get drunk! By the time I was doing my A'level exams, I was drinking every night alone at home. I then started my first full time job in a major retailer and got into the going out getting hammered every night with folk from work.

I then got another more responsible safety related job and whilst I couldn't drink as much, I used to binge drink when I was able to depending on shifts. It then got to me literally drinking anything with alcohol in when ever I could!

I would be a regular at local pubs and was known for how much I could put away!

So glad I am no longer that person!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I made a living as a DJ for ten years.

human traffic (promo) [the weekend has landed]: https://youtu.be/kz0qT6GULis

The party was up before I stopped drinking etc, but it was ten years of hedonistic mayhem that I have zero regrets over.

I drank and drugged to participate fully in life.

It was not all bad.

Just the bit where I couldn't stop, that sucked butt, for about 7 years.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

99% of my drinking was at home. Bars were too expensive and with how quickly I drank it was not only embarrassing to return to the bar within five minutes, I'd have to wait in line. And why spend $60 bucks on twelve drinks when I could but a fifth of vodka for $7.00.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Happy when drinking>>>Couldn't be happy unless I was drinking>>>Sad when I wasn't drinking>>>Miserable all the damn time.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

me? just a barfly, I traveled a lot in my work, so many times I was alone in a new place so I hit the bars
Old 03-13-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

It progressed in a very sad way. Started out as youthful frolic, graduated to years alone on the couch watching the world pass me by. And, thankfully, it's all over.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Pretty much the same for me... Started out drinking socially, progressed to binge drinking alone in my big empty house or with one or two close "friends" over who drank as much as I did.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
Did you go to night clubs, chic lounges or bars?
Did you have one drinking buddy and just got wasted with them?
Did you have a significant other who drank just as heavily and you had to break up with them?
All of these. And after these (well, initially overlapping), I became a solo drinker at home and extremely secretive.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

When younger I drank typically with others in party mode. As I got older if others were around, I would drink with them. If I were by myself I'd drink with me.......

The last few years I progressed into hide the bottle guy, cover up (as best I could) how much I drank. One day I awoke - did not like hide the bottle guy, and thought who the hell is this guy and how did he get here?!!?

So, with help he's been evicted.......Sometimes he lurks nearby in the shadows. If I keep the lights on I don't see him stalking much today. But I know he's there...........