Notices

Need confirmation

Old 03-12-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need confirmation

Hi all New here, probably with a familiar story. Been drinking around 10 years. Built up to 12 beer's a night, every night with no nights off. Started to think I might have a problem so I did some research as everyone does. So quit cold turkey and went about a month then talked myself back into drinking again with all the usual justification I have a good job, my mates drink, it's not affecting anyone etc. 6 month's more guilt in the morning and research on the net quit again for around 4 months. But in crept back in with complacency and thoughts that I was fine. Since then it's about 8 months which I have kept it generally to the weekends but I think about it every single day, weather I drink or not. It's taking up so much time energy and brain power. Weekend drinking is between 8 beers (and I'm congratulating myself on hardly drinking at all) to 15 16 17 beers I can seem to keep going (til I fall asleep). I get massive mood swings on the days I don't drink. In the 4 month break I got some bad depression which I believe is paws, never been depressed in my life. Now every day at around 4pm I have this huge conversation with myself trying to justify that it's not that bad it's only weekends. If I quit doing my gym workout every morning I'm sure I could convince myself to go back to daily drinking. These workouts stopped me drinking for the 4 month period. I devote several hours a day with this argument with myself. My question is in anyone here s opinion is this a problem? I know very well the answer but I need to hear it from people who understand the problem so I can stop arguing with my own brain every afternoon.
Thanks for reading
Old 03-12-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Daz its nice to meet you

If it helps im alcoholic & in recovery only you can say if you have a problem or not but if you have to think about it, it should answer your question

think about joining the class of march class and exploring the site as its full of support advice and good ppl

spk soon bud
Old 03-12-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you daz135! The obsession is a killer for me, and arguing with yourself is exhausting. I was a 2-3 bottles of wine a week drinker with none of the rock bottom stories. No DUIs, no job loss, no upset spouse. But I just turned 40 and my soul and my body were begging me to stop. And yet every time I stopped/moderated, I would spend hours fighting with myself with the same arguments. Usually comparing myself to convince myself 2 bottles of wine a week does not make you an alcoholic! I wish I had more answers. I'm trying to find my perfect path as well. Lots of helpful folks here, keep reading and hanging around. Peace!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

no, you're fine, everything seems normal to me...

it's too bad I don't get paid for being a funny guy... that was a good $100 joke right there.

Try looking into AVRT, look at the secular connections forum and the explanation part of it. It may be something up your alley. Have you tried going to an aa meeting or anything like that? It is not healthy to be constantly 'arguing' with yourself over drinking. Usually the drink wins that argument.
What other things have you tried to get over this?

Welcome to the forum.

try this link daz...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 03-12-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us daz. I'm glad you're taking a hard look at what alcohol does to your life. We're here to help.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Daz,

I am going through what you are right now, I started drinking after a longish period of sobriety. I am, even to this day, when I know I cannot drink anymore, talking to myself and trying to rationalize why I should just 'moderate.' My friends drink, I make good money, all of that. However, the more I have tried to rationalize, the worse my problem has grown. I will be dead if I don't stop.

It is nice to read about people who are going through the same thing when life gets especially tough. Keep strong and thanks for sharing.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! If alcohol is causing you problems, it's best to stop drinking. Very simple but not easy. Do you have any support in real life? I saw a counselor for five years and made daily visits to this site. It helped me a lot. I hope our support can help you live a better, sober life.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! For me, the beginning of trying to get sober was wondering if I had a problem with my drinking. I told myself I wasn't drinking that much and everything was okay in my life, why not have some fun, relax and keep drinking? Who's it hurting? But something deep inside kept saying something is wrong, this isn't healthy and every morning I would wake up with regret and anxiety that pretty soon, I thought maybe there are more negatives to drinking, than positives.

I'm 7 nights sober and it's not easy and it's not fun. I miss it. But I feel better and I know I'm doing the right thing for me. That's what you have to decide.

Good luck. Hope you stick around.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Each day sober gets easier and easier -- though by no means is it easy in the early days, which I'm still in. The longer I go without drinking, the more I realize how deep in trouble I was. Physically and emotionally.

Welcome to SR, Daz!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by daz135 View Post
I know very well the answer but I need to hear it from people who understand the problem so I can stop arguing with my own brain every afternoon.
It isn't us who has to convince you. It's you who has to believe yourself, you who has to commit to quitting.

Yes, we understand the problem. But our power to convince you is negligible. Every day there's a thread about moderating one's drinking, or tapering, or resuming normal drinking after a period of sobriety and there will be a score of replies, all with a resounding "No" and yet the person is determined to try. That's why alcoholism is so baffling.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Daz!!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are the one who has to believe you have a problem or not.

We cannot convince you that you are an alcoholic.