Notices

Really need your help and support guys!!!

Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am paying a lawyer $12000 for this and he is telling me it looks very hard!!! ugh that sucks for the amount I am paying. I really hope I can do the thing were I can go to jail on weekends and come out to work on weekdays. Has anyone else heard of this or done it ? I know jupitars did .
Old 03-12-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
You can certainly be denied entry to Canada with a DUI on your record. You have to apply for "rehabilitation" at the Canadian consulate or embassy abroad, pay a hefty fee. I think it's like $1000. Even with that paper a Canadian border guard can deny you entry. After 9/11 Canada started running electronic checks on travelers.
Wow, I did some research, you are right. My family member must have gotten a waiver at some point. He goes to Canada quite a bit and his DUI was over 10 years ago.

I was in high school when it happened and he didn't want his co-workers to know. It was actually right around when I started experimenting with drinking and the time I know he felt having his nephew pick him up and drop him off at a McDonald's around the corner from his office was embarassing. That's always been a huge motivator for me not drinking and driving. I did once under intense peer pressure my senior year of high school, but in college I always took taxis (I'm fortunate enough to have had my parents cover 100% of my expenses in college, so taking cabs was basically free to me), and I live in NYC now and don't own a car.

I'd imagine if I'd lived in the suburbs, my drinking behavior likely would have led to a DUI. I'm happy that never happend, but still think I'd have the self control to stop it. Would just use Uber or pass out at a friends house.

Zoomi, that's a heck of a lot of money. Is there anything the lawyer has done that you wouldn't have been able to do? Unfortunately, it does seem like the 2nd DUI in Canada is going to lead to jail time and if this lawyer can't change that, is it possible to save some money that can be used on sober activities?
Old 03-13-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoomi View Post
I am paying a lawyer $12000 for this and he is telling me it looks very hard!!! ugh that sucks for the amount I am paying. I really hope I can do the thing were I can go to jail on weekends and come out to work on weekdays. Has anyone else heard of this or done it ? I know jupitars did .
yah my lawyer wanted 15k to fight this, with no guarantee. I just couldn't do it. Despite NOT driving when it happened, with the 1st one on my record, my lawyer was honest and said it was probable there was no way he was going to get me off. Our laws are strict.

As far as I know, once you know that you are indeed going to jail...your lawyer will ask you how you want to serve it. You will serve 20 of the 30 days. (2/3) Actually, 19 days b/c your court date will count as a day (it's a LONG day, they will take you that same day to process you at the jail you will be serving and release you later that day if you chose to not serve immediately, otherwise you will be processed and stay)
I chose weekend b/cI didn't want my employer knowing I was doing jail. I checked in Fridays at 8pm (and DO NOT SHOW UP LATE) and was released every Sunday at 5pm. 3 day weekends. I did 6. B/C that one day I had left (served 18 but had that one day left)...b/c it fell on a Friday, I was just required to go to the jail as normal, check in...then they released me an hour later and that counted as my last day. That will depend on how the days fall. Had my last day been a Saturday, I would have been required to stay the Friday night and released the Saturday morning.
I hope that helps
Old 03-13-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

fortunately I have my dad to help me out for now and I will pay him back in installments. Even if it means spending 15k for a 1% chance I MUST take because my career depends on this and I wont have a licence for 6 years. To put it in a way my life in Canada will be over for a bit. So I am going ahead and paying the lawyer what he wants AS LONG as he can at least try his best to do something even though I know nothing will happen from this. But hey I might as well take the chance and hope some heavenly miracle will make the judge give me a break. And I really don't want to go to the jail I will be going to its BRUTAL I just read everything online and talked to people in a.a and they say its a **** hole and they almost didn't survive 15 days. I am not the type of person to fight or even look at some one straight in the eye. so lets see I will use SR for support.

Thanks guys for the info
Old 03-14-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
You can certainly be denied entry to Canada with a DUI on your record. You have to apply for "rehabilitation" at the Canadian consulate or embassy abroad, pay a hefty fee. I think it's like $1000. Even with that paper a Canadian border guard can deny you entry. After 9/11 Canada started running electronic checks on travelers.
its 200 bucks. Just a fricking tax.