Notices

15 Days In

Old 03-12-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 Days In

Hey All,
So glad I found this site. I am 15 days sober. My abstaining has come as a result of some lab results I received when I tried to get additional life insurance which quite honestly, scared the crap out of me. My liver enzymes led to a decline from the insurance company. I have been drinking for going on 25 years now and always kidded myself that I'm not an alcoholic because I do exercise and watch what I eat most of the time. I also convinced myself that since I held a job and provided for my family throughout the years I can't possibly have a problem. I know now what b.s. that was. Anyway, I went to the hospital today for an ultrasound of my liver and I know it will be a long weekend waiting for the results so I will spend the time reading the many inspirational stories I have found on this website. Thanks again. This site is awesome.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome jeresy this thread should be in newcomers bud try this link Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

(this thread is for ppl with a year or more)

Welcome to the site its nice to meet you
Old 03-12-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, jersey15; glad you found SR.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome jersey!

Great job on 15 days.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done Jersey..15 days!!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventurer

15 days is good, that means your not going to get the DT's
Old 03-12-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you, Jersey! Your story is how mine began. Perhaps ignorance is bliss, but I never considered I had a real problem with alcohol until the same exam for life insurance. I was approved, but couldn't quit staring at my ALT # next to my husbands. His was on the low end of "normal", and mine was on the last number left in the normal range. From there, the education set in, and the obsession with alcohol hile trying to cut it out/cut it back/control it became a large part, unfortunately, of my world. I had never drank to blackout, never drank before work, never in the AM, never to cure a hangover, no DUIs, no job problems, but I had crossed the invisible line somewhere along the way where you are no longer leading the dance with alcohol. Glad you are here. Read as much as you can. These folks are the bomb-diggity of angels in recovery. It's humbling how much time some folks here will dedicate to rounding up lost lambs.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I learnt soooo much from reading on here, it's really really helped me. Go easy on yourself this weekend, and best of luck with your test results.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on the 15 days!!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey! You and I are at about the same point. Congrats to you.

I just had my blood drawn today and will be visiting my doctor in an hour. I've had some abdominal pain so I won't be shocked if my numbers suck.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jeresy!!
Old 03-14-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Still sober

This forum and its people truly do rock....still no alcohol. Friday night was relatively easy because I was so exhausted from the day prior and getting up so early for the ultrasound. Its going to be a long weekend waiting for the results and I also have a surprise birthday for a co-worker that I have to attend. Not looking forward to watching everyone else get loaded. I know this thread is for us "newbies" but has anyone else been sober 2-3 weeks and that initial "elation" of just being sober has worn off some? If so, how are you handling it? I already feel myself bartering with my mind about what decisions to make, and it is exhausting.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome and great job! every day will present a new challenge.the only known-variable i used to have in my life was i was going to get loaded every day. it takes courage to change your patterns and beat this addiction.

when the newness of sobriety tapers off i would always just try to be occupied with something... spending a ton more quality time with the kids, got into hobby grade remote control trucks with my son which takes a ton of focus for me when we are working on the truck, started eating better... anything to help you be sober today.

it does get easier with time. you just cant get complacent, never let your guard down. those were the times i would relapse. i have learned from every one of my past mistakes.

great job and stay strong!!