Notices

I surrender!!!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I surrender!!!

I wanted to check in and say that I feel that I have finally surrendered to this monster disease! I've been trying to stay sober with SR alone, Rational Recovery, AVRT, books, exercise, journaling, etc. etc. and for me those things "all by themselves" don't work for me. They ARE great tools though.

I stayed sober for 5 & 1/2 years with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous & the 12 Steps from 2008-2013. I relapsed last year because I stopped going to meetings and stopped working the program and forgot "what I am".

Soooo....I am NOT saying AA is right for everyone, but for THIS alcoholic....I really can't stay sober without it. I need the face to face support of the amazing people in the rooms, the steps etc...the structure.

I know I've been wishy-washy about what program to use for many months. I have FINALLY surrendered and am going back to AA...a program that works for me! If I don't throw myself back in the middle of the program, I fear I will die of alcoholism. I've watched several people die and it's such a torturous way to go. :-(

Hope you are all doing well! I will keep you up to date & continue to use SR as a recovery "tool". You guys are awesome!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good that you found what helps you.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If AA is what works for you then by all means get back there! I'm rooting for you too.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

AA is apart of my social life, Since I cant go out with my drinking friends- that's what they do, I go to AA. I understand how face to face is what some people need.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that this works well for you, Serenidad.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I first got sober in 2003 and stayed sober for 5 1/2 years. I didn't use a formal program, I just stopped. Looking back, I'm not really sure how I managed that. Then I thought I was ok and could drink again like a normal person. Wrong.

I spent most of the next year trying to get sober by myself again. Typically it was a 3 day binge followed by a couple of sober weeks, then another binge and and a few weeks of sobriety. This want on for about a year, I just couldn't do it by myself. I finally gave up and went to AA because I was desperate.

Although I'm not a hardcore AA person, the program and the fellowship of others made a huge difference for me. Now I'm approaching 5 years again, and I feel more solid in in my sobriety this time.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this Serenidad!!

Make Sobriety happen and be happy, you deserve that!!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just posted about going to AA reluctantly, and about my struggles getting into rehab and so forth. I have no problem with AA, but I will say your sobriety was supported and helped with AA. Getting a sponsor, working the steps, feel better all great.

However, you got sober on your own, AA made you do nothing. Nope you did it, they supported you, but you made those decisions. You made the choice to attend, you made the choice to get support a sponsor what ever, you did it all. They were there for support, but I am about empowering the person, you chose to be sober and can do it again. .

Not a popular opinion around these parts, but really you did with there help, but you did it.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you are very courageous Serenidad! Great job making great steps in your recovery!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If I've learned anything from reading here it's that sobriety is as personal and unique to each of us as our spiritual and moral beliefs. I used to say no AA for me but with some time I'm pretty sure I would do anything rather than ride the Anxiety I once endured. I now say whatever I find works is what I'm doing no matter what. So use AA and give it all your devotion and things will be better by the day
Old 03-10-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Serenidad you can do this
Old 03-10-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Serenidad,

Whatever it takes Work it! Congrats on finding more help and support. I try to avail myself of all the tools I can.

I need the discipline and avail myself of it from God, AA, SR, fellowship, friends and church.

Best wishes!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Serenidad - Good to hear you're getting the extra help you need to get yourself healthy. We are with you.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the kind words guys. I just want my life back. I am willing to do whatever it takes.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What does it take, how are you feeling tonight my friend, what is the next step.?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
What does it take, how are you feeling tonight my friend, what is the next step.?
It takes:

1. Calling my AA sponsor to check in every day. She's great and was on her death bed 5 years ago but with the help of AA & working the 12 steps has been sober for 5 years, is happy & is helping me now.

2. Praying to my higher power (which for me is God) each morning to help me stay sober that day and thanking him each night

3. Going to 1 AA meeting every day. That's 1 hour per day and I always feel better when I leave.

4. Reading the big book of AA & working the 12 Steps

5. Most importantly...I must not drink alcohol no matter what! One day, one hour, one minute at a time...

How are you TDG? Have you ever thought about giving AA a try?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I think it's wonderful! Not everyone gets the same result from the same diet when they try to lose weight...same with sobriety. The fact that you see what works for you and are positive about returning to it is awesome!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on making a wise decision, Serenidad! And having a "whatever it takes attitude" will bring success! Good luck!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Serenidad; glad you are taking this great step.

I look forward to celebrating your successes.