Notices

Dumped all of it down the drain....

Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Dumped all of it down the drain....

For about the fifteenth time in the last six months.

I have been kidding myself thinking I could drink in moderation, though, and am finally coming around to the idea of complete abstinence.

Any tips? About Day 3 is when I get really anxious and feel really crappy - any tips on how to get through it?

I'm a little scared, actually.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by usedtobepretty View Post
Any tips?
I would recommend getting to an AA meeting. If you have any questions about it, SoberRecovery is the place for answers.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good decision!

Day 3 is often a tough one, it was for me. What worked for me was making a plan to busy at the time of day when I would have been drinking (right after supper for me). So, I left the house and walked, a lot. It really helped to break the pattern and get through those early days. And, all these years later, I'm still walking.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nice work on dumping it out. As far as tips, there are a lot of things you could try. Initially, if you think physical withdrawals will be a problem seeing a doctor would be a good idea. Be very honest about your drinking past and your plan to quit, they can assess your potential for severe WD's and proceed accordingly. Unfortuantely, it's going to suck for a few days or so, there's really no way around the initial bad part of withdrawal.

Beyond the physical, what have you tried in the past to take care of the mental/spiritual side of things? There is always AA of course, which can be helpful even if you don't plan on being a long time AA person - the camaraderie of being physically among others with the same problems and goals can be very helpful. Joining a daily/monthly thread here can provide an online equivalent...bonding with a similar group of people that are going through the same thing as you are at the same time.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 3 was pretty bad for me. Anxiety ridden and short on sleep. Stick it out, my friend! Day 4, in my experience, was when I started to feel much better.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I am finally coming around to the idea of complete abstinence.

Any tips?
Don't just come around to the idea of abstinence, embrace it. Totally. Make a vow to never drink. That way, when you start feeling anxious and knowing a drink will make you feel better, you can tell yourself, "Sorry, drinking is not an option. I don't drink any more."
Old 03-11-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto what Carl said. Someone once commented "even if your pants are on fire, don't drink." That third day anxiety was painful to me but I shoved through it. Picking up a drink to make the pain go away was something I did too often and it only stretched things out, prolonging the inevitable. Make it now. Make it through, and days four, five and six will only be better.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on flushing it are you going mtns
Old 03-11-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Start saying to yourself . *I Will not drink TODAY and nothing will make me change that decision*

Funny but when i started saying this to myself every morning...The sober days started to pile up again.

Excellent work on getting rid of the poison...I remember those days all too well.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For about the fifteenth time in the last six months.

I have been kidding myself thinking I could drink in moderation, though, and am finally coming around to the idea of complete abstinence.

Any tips? About Day 3 is when I get really anxious and feel really crappy - any tips on how to get through it?

I'm a little scared, actually.
I've dumped so much alcohol down my sink that the pipes must be drunk by now.. sometimes 8-9 beer at a time. Then I feel stupid when I go and buy another case of beer the next time. I know what you're saying, believe me!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sat down and started a journal and wrote down some of the things I wanted to bring back into my life now that I was going to have so much more time.

And you will. You won't believe how much time drinking took up in your life.

For me, I started playing guitar again after 30 years away, cooked and ate excellent quality whole foods to rebuild my body, took walks in nature, joined a gym and replaced drinking flab with muscle, took a yoga class, checked out cool novels from the library to read when I couldn't sleep, spent extra quality time with my old dogs grooming them, petting them, and sitting in the sunshine, lots of hot showers with money spent on a bar or two of quality triple French-milled scented soap, started blending herbal teas and drinking them hot and cold, made home made fresh pickles from various veggies, herbs, and vinegar, planted a garden, listened to good music, got a cheap above ground pool and floated in it, took some extension classes at the local university, fed the birds, watched the birds eating, explored nature parks nearby, went swimming at the lake, and so on. . .

you get the picture--you truly can build the life you want with all the time you used to squander getting drunk and recovering from getting drunk and thinking about getting drunk and feeling bad about what you did (that you can remember anyway) when you were actually drunk

Life is a gift and you are worthy of it and deserve to enjoy it to the fullest.
So get a beautiful journal and start listing what dreams first. . .
Old 03-11-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 3 is fantastic!! Great job on pushing through!!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi usedtobepretty, I don't know that there is necessarily an easy way to get through the withdrawals, but you only HAVE to do it once. If you break, as someone else said, it prolongs the inevitable. Get it over with and get on with the rest of your life. I had a friend come over last weekend that I don't see that often and I knew he wanted to have a few drinks. And we did. But in the morning I threw the bottle half full in the trash. I'm a weekender trying to quit that crap. You can do it.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Picking up a drink to make the pain go away was something I did too often
Ruby, these words hit home, because you nailed it, that's why I drink.... to make the pain go away. So, when that hour creeps up, when you would normally would drink, what did you do? Some have suggested reading, finding a hobby, walking, whatever, but it simply doesn't take the pain away, like alcohol did. I am doing ok, drinking way less, but there are still days when I just have nothing left in my "to do list" that can take my mind off the pain. Any suggestions are so very welcomed
Old 03-11-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I started playing guitar again after 30 years away, cooked and ate excellent quality whole foods to rebuild my body, took walks in nature, joined a gym and replaced drinking flab with muscle, took a yoga class, checked out cool novels from the library to read when I couldn't sleep, spent extra quality time with my old dogs grooming them, petting them, and sitting in the sunshine, lots of hot showers with money spent on a bar or two of quality triple French-milled scented soap, started blending herbal teas and drinking them hot and cold, made home made fresh pickles from various veggies, herbs, and vinegar, planted a garden, listened to good music, got a cheap above ground pool and floated in it, took some extension classes at the local university, fed the birds, watched the birds eating, explored nature parks nearby, went swimming at the lake, and so on. . .
Your list is amazing! and I will definitely try some of your suggestions, thank you!!!! It's true, life is sooo much better sober. I am just glad SA is here to remind me of that, because I don't have anyone sober in my life who cares enough to share this information with me. You are awesome!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay close to SR - you can get through day 3 and you will

D