Notices

I'm pissed (can I say that here?)

Old 03-11-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

back to the OP

Just a vent here...

I have been digging into the scientific literature about addiction. Many views, theories etc. But not ONE answer! It just angers me. They (the doctors, scientists, etc. ) know how to treat so many other illnesses. Yet, addiction remains a mystery. Is it biological? Is is psychological? Is it social? Is it all the above?

I am angry because it causes so much pain in people's lives, including my own.
I'd much rather Drs and scientists worked on stuff like cancer or SIDS, to be honest, cos we already have a management protocol for alcoholism that works great....

Don't drink.

D
Old 03-11-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Yesterday, Bill Gates posted a video on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's FB page noting they believe that, within the next 15 years, life will improve for the poorest among our fellow humans through the eradication of four diseases. That's four times the amount of disease eradication than humankind has seen in all its history. So far, only smalllpox has been wiped out.

(BTW, the four diseases they're looking at for eradication are guinea worm river blindness, elephantiasis, blinding trachoma and polio, the paralytic disease. All maladies that beleaguer those who came out in a tougher place in the genetic lottery than folks like yours truly.)

Alcoholism isn't on the list. I suspect it's not on many lists. But what if it was? What if someone said "we think that in 15 years we're going to have a vaccine/pill/implant/whatever that will stop alcoholism." Would I want to spend the next 15 years mired in the living hell of alcoholism waiting for the miracle cure?

Heck no. I wouldn't want to spend the next 15 hours back there. So I do what is in the realm of the possible for me: I don't drink. I work on my life -- the good, the hard, the everything. Lots of good stuff here, ArtFriend. Take some time to let it sink in.

I'll try posting the video. Don't know if it'll work but it is brief and very worthwhile. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 03-11-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
EndGame

If alcohol weren't a problem for me, then it wouldn't be important to me either.

I believe that genetic engineering in broader use and in a more refined way is inevitable. Human beings at first turned to religion and then science to cure all ills. It's what we do. Evidence-based treatment is the new religion, with a man-made god that is practiced in a church that knows no geographical, spiritual or intellectual boundaries.

Who gets to decide what is "abnormal?" Or do we simply impose the normal curve to define our humanity? Though genetic engineering may well indeed eradicate all types of illnesses and what we consider to be abnormalities, I shudder to think of the consequences of using it for selfish or destructive purposes. Again, that's what we do.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Just a vent here...

I have been digging into the scientific literature about addiction. Many views, theories etc. But not ONE answer! It just angers me. They (the doctors, scientists, etc. ) know how to treat so many other illnesses. Yet, addiction remains a mystery. Is it biological? Is is psychological? Is it social? Is it all the above?

I am angry because it causes so much pain in people's lives, including my own.

When I complicated everything and went on a spree of studying, thinking knowledge would make me some sort of super sober egomaniac, all I got was, well, a super sober egomaniac complex.
You already have the answer. There are many different theories.
Chose one. Move on.