Notices

scared to be sober.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared to be sober.

I've been a drunk for so long I'm kind of scared to get sober. I don't know why I'm scared. I guess I just can't imagine life without it. Now what will my life revolve around. I must relearn how to live sober.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, it's amazing, but it takes time to work through the kinks. Make sure you avail yourself of support and know that it mostly gets easier as you go. Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! I had that same thought- that I couldn't live without alcohol, just could not imagine my life without it. But I really like being sober.

Keep posting. It gets so much easier.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will figure it out! Most of us drink for a long time out of fear. Fear of quitting, of trying to face life without the crutch of booze that we learned to lean on over the years.

But it gets a lot better.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a sober plan ?
Old 03-11-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HI and welcome to a chance of sobriety.

Many compare alcohol to being our best friend. Well it sort of was for awhile, then it turned on us and is trying to suck our life away along with the misery of an alcoholic. It will only get worse unless we stop drinking it one day at a time in a row.

There are helpful hands to guide and support us here and at AA meetingS.

BE WELL
Old 03-11-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh man, I hear you. Being scared of getting sober kept me drunk for years.
I got to the point that not just the thought, but actually being on a binge and being afraid to stop drinking terrified me.
I drank like that for a long time.

It does get better when you stop. I can tell you, you have nothing to be afraid of except any withdrawal problems.
Now, after four years sober, the thought of drinking scares me.
Cash in your misery and fear for sobriety. Everyone is different, but soon you will discover a new life. Here's hoping you find it.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by laxd44 View Post
I've been a drunk for so long I'm kind of scared to get sober. I don't know why I'm scared. I guess I just can't imagine life without it. Now what will my life revolve around. I must relearn how to live sober.
Boy I can relate to this. Scared drunk, scared sober. There was a good reason to be scared of being sober. In my experience, every time I was sober, life was horrible. My longest spell of sobriety, maybe three months ended with me to scared to even get out of bed. I basically ceased to function. So that is what being sober looked like to me, not the least bit attractive.

But then the drink got so bad I had to get help. I met this guy who had found a way out, and his life looked ok. He introduced me to others and I picked up a little bit of hope. They were willing to show me how to be happily sober. It wasn't easy, it took some work, and some time, and some big changes happened in my outlook, but within a few weeks this sobriety thinglooked like the thing I wanted most in the world, not something to be scared of. I never looked back.

There was a better life out there, it just took a while to see it. It's there for you too my friend.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

How are you today lax
Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anything new or unfamiliar in life is going to take time to get used to, so it's natural to feel those things!!

Hang in there, it gets better with time!!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by laxd44 View Post
I've been a drunk for so long I'm kind of scared to get sober. I don't know why I'm scared.
Fear of sobriety is a hallmark of addiction. There's no rational reason for it, but it is very very real. I had it in spades.

Give yourself time and have faith in the people who have already done this when they say - it gets better and it is totally worth it!

Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think that it is natural to fear sobriety in the beginning, especially because so many of us use alcohol as a temporary solution to some other, larger underlying issues. I also found that I was using it as an excuse to stay drunk too. I was afraid that I would fail at being sober and that helped me to start this self-fulfilling prophecy where I would relapse and then drink because "I am just a worthless drunk and this proves I will never get sober". Don't let the fear control you and make an attempt to really live a sober life, what do you really have to lose?
Old 03-11-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Think of it as an adventure
Old 03-11-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To me alcohol was like an abusive lover. She would always treat me like sh!t, cheat on me, beat me, and all the rest. But I kept remembering that one time that she was sweet and kind so I kept going back hoping to repeat that, but usually she'd just give me the clap.

Ok... That was kind of fun writing that.

You are scared because you don't remember what life was like before you started drinking. Believe me when I say my life is so much better sober. Yours will be too.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi lax. That's what kept me drinking for decades - the fear of letting go, or missing out on something. I can't believe I ever felt that way. In the end, I lived to drink - I was completely trapped in a never ending cycle of misery. It was no longer fun in any way, just something I did so I wouldn't shake. I wanted to live again, to experience things with a clear head. I did it, and so will you.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was afraid to be sober. What would I do with myself if I didn't drink? It took a while and some discomfort, but it did get better. Now I do anything I damn well please, and do it better, to boot.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

^^^^^ totally this. It was like hell on earth.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was scared before I quit for good, I wanted to quit for years before I actually stopped. I kept putting it off, tomorrow I'll quit, I'll cut down, I'll quit after (fill in the blank) event. Looking back now it was the fear of failing to quit and what life would be with out alcohol my crutch. Today I am soo grateful to be sober, it will take time and some work but you can do it!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm on day two now and the fear is slowly going away. I've started to think about all the things I gain for quitting. Like today instead of walking 15 minutes to the left to head to the bar. I took a nice 45 minutes walk to the right. I'm claiming every small victory as a big one right now.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good idea Lax & congrats on day 2