Notices

Hello & introduction

Old 03-10-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello & introduction

Hello. This is my first post here on SR. I've been sober now for 122 days (since November 8). I'm not sure what else to say or reveal here.

The truth is, I have boatloads of willingness, I have nearly as much honesty, but my open-mindedness is trailing in a distant third, and I'm finding that's bad for recovery. I have too much to lose if I don't remain sober. That's not so much the problem, the not taking a drink part. It's the recovery part that I'm flailing at, because in the last four months I've come to learn that if I don't identify with and start practicing some kind of recovery program, I'm going to continue with the white-knuckling, dry-drunking days.

Anyhow. I hope to find some type of connection or fellowship here. Thanks for making the space available. A good evening to all.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, EchosMyron!

I certainly had a lot of questions when I started working on recovery. I found SoberRecovery to be a great source of experience, strength, and hope. Read around and post often!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! There is a lot of support here.

By saying you are not "open-minded", I assume you have struggled with finding recovery groups that fit for you. There are several programs, depending on where you live. SMART Recovery, LifeRing, Refuge Recovery, Women for Sobriety, Rational Recovery, AA, NA, SOS Secular Sobriety

Sometimes I have attended several different programs at the same time. It helped me to get different perspectives on recovery. But obviously, lots of people stay sober with SR alone. I just like face to face groups.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Welcome EM. If you're white-knuckling despite a willingness to be sober, I'd agree you need some additional support. You could start with AA maybe, because there are lots of meetings, or even see an addiction counsellor.

Try not to get too hungry, tired or stressed and make sure you're eating a nutritious diet. If there's a NA drink you like, you could build a relaxation ritual around sitting down and drinking it.

You may need to think about your life-style and make a few modifications to keep yourself on track. Of course stay around SR which is a very supportive community.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Echomyron its nice to meet you
Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.

I can identify with you and am not willing to ever go through those feelings again.
I’ve been in AA many years without a drink because I let go of old beliefs ingrained in my head like I don’t need these people, I’ll do it myself and on and on.

Call it ego, pride or whatever it wasn’t working until I really started taking baby steps like going to a lot of meetings and stopped comparing and start to identifying. Becoming active was a big + for me for years.

The big things was the willingness to work and change the person I was carrying around, one day at a time in a row.

The result? Being comfortable in my own skin and all the benefits that came with that.

BE WELL
Old 03-11-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! This forum has been an inspiration for me. Sober is the only way to go for me now. I'm tired of those hangover mornings and feeling bad about myself. Congratulations on 122 days and I wish you the best as you continue your recovery.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum EchosMyron!!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!

SR is a great place for resources and support.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, EchosMyron, to SR. Glad you found us.

No need to white-knuckle your way. There is an abundance of support here.