Notices

High blood pressure and heart palpitations

Old 03-10-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High blood pressure and heart palpitations

Hi....I'm new here & just started on the road to recovery. It's been 3 days since my last drink. Yesterday, I had heart palpitations come out of nowhere & high blood pressure. Can anybody please tell me how long this will last? Is reversing alcohol induced blood pressure possible?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine has gone down enough since I quit to go off meds. Good luck! A checkup would probably be good to get a handle on where you are at with it.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Miami its nice to meet you youl find lots of support here
Old 03-10-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I really want & need to make this happen. I can see the effects of it on my body. I've always been a social drinker but for about the past 1 1/2 years started drinking very heavily. Sometimes binge drinking. My blood sugar has elevated also.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is fairly common in early recovery, and also serious stuff. I would see a doctor just to be safe.

Glad you made the decision to stop!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine was too. I totally blame alcohol before I drank I always had very low sugar and blood pressure. 2 months in and both are down
Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you are only three days sober, you are still in physical withdrawal. If you feel worse, get to the ER or a doctor/walk in clinic. Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to mess around with. My BP went down after I got sober for good. Stay sober and get a thorough checkup from a doctor to put your mind at ease.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can anyone tell me how long this will last or if it will happen again? The heart palpitations that is. That's the worst!!! I really felt like I was going to die. Thank The Lord I didn't. I have too much to live for.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

We cannot offer any kind of medical advice. It's against our rules.

Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous, so please talk to your dr or go to an ER.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

^^^^ Ditto to what Anna said. Detoxing is something you don't want to mess with. BP can spike to dangerous levels. You need to see a Dr or go to the ER asap.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I believe the symptoms you have described are common when going through alcohol withdrawal and will likely stabilize over time. As others have said, if you are concerned a trip to the doc is a great idea. Congrats on quitting, best of luck to you.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had heart palpitations daily for the last two years of my drinking. I remember googling if it was possible for a 29 year old to have a heart attack. When I begrudgingly went to the doctor she took my blood pressure. I knew it would be high but boy was I in for a surprise.

It was 187/something. I forget the bottom number but I'll never forget two things she said. She was visibly flustered/shocked. She said:

Your blood pressure should NOT BE THIS HIGH for someone your age!

This is "stroke level." You can "stroke out" and die.

She wanted to give me a shot of some kind of benzo to calm my body down but they were out that day at her office. There was a hospital across the street and she considered going across herself and picking up the shot bringing it back and giving it to me.

As I sat there I told her that I actually felt like this almost every day and I knew that I would calm down. The way my body felt in the doctors office was how I often felt every day because I drank 12-14 units every night and was going through daily withdrawals.

I did not get a shot that day. I went home and laid down and calmed myself and I think it went down. She sent me home with a sheet to keep track of my blood pressure daily at the grocery store. I also stopped drinking that day. It was never as high as 187 but it would have her around 175 and go down to about 155 depending on how stressed out I felt.

I am happy to save my blood pressure has gone way down to like 130 now. Still high, but WAY down from my drinking days.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had the exact same thing happen to me Miami. I know in some cases it really didn't stabilize for about a week. I found that every time I drank to excess this was happening and, in my case, this was almost every time I picked up the bottle. I can't give medical advice, but I found that the only way to get my pressure and heart rate to be stable was to avoid drinking altogether. I have seen a world of difference in my overall health and quality of life in general. You definitely don't need the stress that high blood pressure puts on your heart and since you said yourself that you have too much to live for why not give an alcohol free lifestyle a try and see what happens to your life as a whole?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Miami!!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Miami - so glad to have you here.

I do hope you'll check with a doctor. My blood pressure spiked dangerously when I quit on my own. I had palps too. We put our bodies in a state of confusion.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! All of you! I'm glad I found this place to share my thoughts, concerns, etc. so far today has actually been a pretty decent day. I've taken medicine for nerves & my blood pressure though. But tomorrow is my birthday. So I'm hoping to have a really great day. And drinking water! Lots of it! Thank you again for all of y'all's life experiences. It really helps knowing that others have gone through it too. I appreciate the support.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday, tomorrow!

Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome and best wishes on your sobriety! You're doing your body good. I too had really high BP and palpitations. Scary, yes. A doctor visit may be in order.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking is the best birthday present you could give yourself.

Happy Days ahead..............
Old 03-10-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, Welcome!!

Doctor's visit sounds in order, friend!