Notices

High blood pressure and heart palpitations

Old 03-10-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Miami1962, I encourage you to see a doctor.
My blood pressure was 160/140 mm Hg when I finally stopped drinking and my blood glucose was also very high. I was overweight and had resting pulse of 90 bpm.
18 months later I've lost 60 pounds, blood levels are normal, resting pulse below 60 bpm, and blood pressure is below 120/80. I'm running a 10k race Saturday, my second one this winter.
You will be amazed at the improvement in your health when you stop drinking. I started running to fight cravings for alcohol and now running is my meditation.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Mine was like 160/90 or something after my last 4 day relapse binge. I had heart palpitations. Could hear my heart while trying to sleep. Horribly especially with the panic attacks and anxiety. It got better after a few days. My BP is now 110/70 almost 40 days later. The high BP was purely the alcohol (I exercise and am normal body weight). Scary, but you will recover!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Miami1962 View Post
Can anyone tell me how long this will last or if it will happen again? The heart palpitations that is. That's the worst!!! I really felt like I was going to die. Thank The Lord I didn't. I have too much to live for.
Hi Miami! I've been dealing with heart palpitations too. Before I quit drinking, they'd hit me about a half an hour after waking up. Withdrawal... but I didn't know it at the time. After quitting, the palpitations were really bad for about a week -- hitting me at different points in the day. (Thousands of PVCs a day. Really. Almost every beat was messed up.) It does indeed feel absolutely horrible. But they've slowly been getting better. And I'm not feeling them nearly as much. I'm sober now 11 days.

Definitely get checked out by your doctor. If anything, it'll help put your mind at ease.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

It's those damn palpitations and the stroke level BP that keeps me on the straight and narrow. I was 165/98 when hungover. And I felt every.single.heartbeat. Or should. Isay heart POUND. My doctor wanted to put me on meds. I asked if I could just have a few weeks to try to lower it myself before starting atenolol.

This morning, 2.5 months sober, it's 107/69.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had high blood pressure, swollen ankles, bad numbers and all. I quit drinking. Now I don't. It was the freaking alcohol all along.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I also have a 'rather' high BP and stopped drinking three weeks ago. 15 over 9. It didn't change in those three weeks and i excercise almost every day. But im still smoking so i guess that could be it.

Im gonne try to stop smoking as well in the near future. Hopefully my BP will be beter then.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

There is a solution. When you take care of the problem, you take care of YOU.