Difference between Abstinence and Recovery? - Page 2 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
non-drinker

I've seen this saying (or something very similar) here before and I really like it:

Abstinence is not drinking and being sad about it.

Recovery is not drinking and being happy about it.
FormerBeerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FormerBeerLover For This Useful Post:
Axiom (04-03-2015), HeartsAfire (04-03-2015), MesaMan (04-03-2015), Ninjaturtle (04-03-2015), Nowsthetime (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Court jester

Abstinence is simply not drinking.

Recovery is changing who you are so that you can live life successfully without drinking. Recovery is a spiritual endeavor IMO.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
When I saw people that had what I wanted I started to recover. When I started working the steps of AA. I was in recovery.
Ditto :-)
Serenidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowsthetime View Post
abstaining is turmoil. Recovering is inner peace. Abstaining is "i can't". Recovery is "i don't want to, av wants to". Abstaining is quiting and not knowing... Recovery is quitting and working on yourself. I really like this thread. Love reading people's responses. Thanks!!!
love this!
Serenidad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Serenidad For This Useful Post:
Ninjaturtle (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #25 (permalink)

I had more fun swimming with my kids yesterday than I did drinking for the last 5 years. I don't even want a drink. I know there will be times my brain will tell me I do but I feel so happy that I don't have to drink anymore. Not a straight answer but I feel like I'm on the right track.

Last edited by Ninjaturtle; 04-03-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added stuff
Ninjaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Abstaining alone was almost an act of controlling drinking, tense white knuckle stuff with no real point to it other than not drinking. I could never sustain it for long.

Recovery on the other hand has been about a complete change of personality sufficient to make drinking redundant. Replacing the old life with something much better where drinking has no place and is no threat.
Yes Gottalife, your post is essentially framed as it's written in The Doctor's Opinion from the text Alcoholics Anonymous re: an ENTIRE PSYCHIC CHANGE ....IT READS....

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an ENTIRE PSYCHIC CHANGE there is very little hope of his recovery."
Iconoclastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iconoclastic For This Useful Post:
alphaomega (04-03-2015)

Tags
abstinence , alcohol abuse , alcohol addiction , nonsensical , recovery