Notices

Legalized Marijuana

Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Legalized Marijuana

They just legalized pot in DC and ever since a small thought has crept up in my mind about getting high one day. I literally have not had a day where I haven't been able to smell it on someone since it was legalized. I don't want to go out and get some today but think that maybe one day... if it's around... I mean, I only smoked it every so often...

I am really not sure how I feel about this. I am enjoying being sober. I feel so much better everyday. I am past the urges and my mind is slowly leaving thoughts of alcohol out. I am a happy non-drinker.

Right now, I am leaving the weed bridge to crossed when I get there. I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with these thoughts. Is it my AV looking for a loophole or am I not stressing about it because I don't need to?

I guess this gives me something new to bring up in therapy.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not really sure as I don't see anything wrong with pot. I occasionally smoke and it never inhibits me from doing anything I want or need to do. Alcohol, on the other hand, it poison and is dangerous IMO. I grew up around my family smoking pot and it's never gotten out of control. Different stokes for different folks.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is just me. I never developed the overwhelming craving for pot as I did booze. I only smoked now and then, probably averaging about once/month at the most. It improved my outlook on things in general (I'm diagnosed with moderate to severe depression), as opposed to booze, which took me down into the depths.

Honestly, I have no issue with it being legalized. And I know it won't hook me like booze has done.

But again, that's just me.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Alcohol is legal too - but i'm not going to run out and buy any today just because it is.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

PEOPLE KNOCK KNOCK HELLO are the lights on in your BRAIN..

I worked Child protection for 9 years.. did most of my heavy drinking then.. why .. most little kids are harmed by so much and that smoking is the start of it all.. why do anything when you can relax and smoke shut the ******* brat up cryin agian what the hell for now.. hey buddy take the kid for a little so the wife and I can get high.. and the child is molested from birth to 7 years of age . and I had the first body bag in a week of the job.. have seen what this does to children and then children having the babies of being harmed and smoking.. drink drugs or smoke.. you are killing your life and so much around you.. me have I smoked... when going thro divorce back in the 1980's did it harm my kids.. Yes I was not a good Mom provider or companion to my grade schoolers... we did not eat much and the house lost its heat and elec acouple of time.. have they yes they have in college and saw it kill several of their friends.. do they now NO NO NO .. for they have seen how it destories and does not help a family a couple or a job... get high and smoke walk into your doctors office one day and everyone is high and you are sick as a dog who will care about anything .. not one damn soul.. get high and forget your problems.... pay the bills eat eat eat money money money and problems problems problems... not sorry for my rant.. PEOPLE WAKE UP AND REALIZE THIS IS NOT A GOOD ANYTHING.....
Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I was going to say what ScottfromWI said- the legalization doesn't really matter to me. I live in Denver, weed has been legal here for a while. I think it's just a brain trip (the legalization- the newness of it, the novelty), and I get it. It's "allowed"!! It's demystified in some weird way now that it's legal. It's accessible. But, weed, alcohol and other mind altering substances have absolutely no place my recovery or my sober life. It's good that you're thinking it through, and I think normal to have a few "what if" thoughts floating around.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I quit smoking weed habitually a long time ago for several reasons, but the big one was that I was starting to get really paranoid and anxious when I would smoke. I've smoked a handful of times since then and it has reinforced my realization that weed is not for me. The last time I smoked (a couple of years ago, and just a couple of puffs) I got so bad that I "had to" chug a bunch of vodka to calm myself down.

I too have had passing thoughts about maybe being able to smoke up occasionally, but if it goes badly like it has in the past I'm afraid that I just might do ANYTHING to try and calm down.

Also, with my history of daily smoking (albeit 20 years ago) if I actually was able to enjoy it there's a pretty good chance that I'd be right back on the stoner train. Wouldn't be a good idea for me.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I definitely think that regulations and restrictions on drugs limit use, although the law will never prevent anyone who really wants to use. I had personal experience with this, although not weed. I lived in London during an era when Psilocybe mushrooms were legal there. And then I started using them quite regularly for a while, not as a habit or in abusive ways, but lots of experiments. Never used them with that frequency in other places where they were illegal. I now have thoughts about using again sometimes (mushrooms or other psychedelics) but I don't act on it.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Alcohol is legal too - but i'm not going to run out and buy any today just because it is.
I love this quote but in all seriousness i think weed/marijuana is going to be legal in most places in the next 10 years

I know the argument is split but at the end of the day i dont smoke and wont just because it becomes legal
Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried the marijuana maintenance method a few times, didn't work for me. I have no self control when it comes to mood altering substances.

That said, I sobered up in my teens, I've never had a "legal" drink. It didn't mean a thing when I turned 21.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have no problem moderating my smoking, and smoking has caused no issues in my life. For a bit, I tried to supplant drinking with smoking (usually getting buzzed with booze, then just smoking), but that didn't work.

For the time being, I'm steering clear of pot since I do associate it with drinking, but it's not something I plan to cut out of my life entirely. With that said, if you told me today that I'll never get the chance to smoke pot again, I wouldn't get too worried about it. Thinking about not ever drinking again is driving me nuts. So it's pretty clear which substance I have the problem with.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think that marijuana is a dangerous drug.

But I think that it should be legal.

We can make choices and accept the consequences.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I think that marijuana is a dangerous drug. But I think that it should be legal. We can make choices and accept the consequences.
I can't help but add that it's not just individual consequences. I live in a country with a public healthcare system, so personal choices that add a burden to the healthcare system feel very much like a consequence to me too as a payer into the system. I'm not necessarily against the legalization of marijuana, but I think that's a whole other conversation that needs to rely heavily on scientific research and the social and economic effects of legalization versus prohibition.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, only you can answer that question. Myself? I tried it a couple months into sobriety and it just made me stupid and found I wanted it all the time-too expensive and I have 3 kids so going for multiple store runs (to smoke) for....nothing...got old. Totally sober is me. Ayahusca?...well, a shamanic re-birthing thing is still in the back of my mind. The brothers McKenna are like.. explorers right? Maybe in my next youth....
Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Weed is legal in my State and I have quite a few friends and coworkers who smoke. I chose not to even though pot was never a problem for me because it tends to lower inhibitions and who knows?
I might think that having >just one LOL yeah right< beer is not such a bad idea once I am stoned.
Just the same way I decline the offer of an alcoholic drink, when someone offers me a toke I smile and I say:
no thank you.
I do not play Russian roulette with my sobriety.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Temptation is everywhere, if you going to smoke pot because its legalized, I don't think that is a good reason. I don't have a problem with weed because I have family uses it for medical reasons. I think that is good a reason, but if u abuse it then that is a wrong way of using it.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ardy View Post
PEOPLE KNOCK KNOCK HELLO are the lights on in your BRAIN..

I worked Child protection for 9 years.. did most of my heavy drinking then.. why .. most little kids are harmed by so much and that smoking is the start of it all.. why do anything when you can relax and smoke shut the ******* brat up cryin agian what the hell for now.. hey buddy take the kid for a little so the wife and I can get high.. and the child is molested from birth to 7 years of age . and I had the first body bag in a week of the job.. have seen what this does to children and then children having the babies of being harmed and smoking.. drink drugs or smoke.. you are killing your life and so much around you.. me have I smoked... when going thro divorce back in the 1980's did it harm my kids.. Yes I was not a good Mom provider or companion to my grade schoolers... we did not eat much and the house lost its heat and elec acouple of time.. have they yes they have in college and saw it kill several of their friends.. do they now NO NO NO .. for they have seen how it destories and does not help a family a couple or a job... get high and smoke walk into your doctors office one day and everyone is high and you are sick as a dog who will care about anything .. not one damn soul.. get high and forget your problems.... pay the bills eat eat eat money money money and problems problems problems... not sorry for my rant.. PEOPLE WAKE UP AND REALIZE THIS IS NOT A GOOD ANYTHING.....
I think your life experience is clouding your opinion. Just because you saw the worst case scenario doesn't make it fair to paint everyone with the same brush. The last 3 presidents of the United States smoked pot. They didn't turn into degenerates. I'm sure people will debate that. Haha. I don't even smoke anymore btw. So I don't really care. Reminds me of thar Reffer Madness movie from the 50s. Hysterical over reaction.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I don't judge - but I know for me I cannot smoke ganga. It leads me to the same lousy behavior it's sister booze took me to.....

I will say that the pot I smoked in recent years gone by is a hell of a lot more potent than what I was weened on. Wow...

I have a bro that considers himself sober, but still smokes pot daily. To each his own, but I know I cannot - legal or otherwise.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave36 View Post
I think your life experience is clouding your opinion. Just because you saw the worst case scenario doesn't make it fair to paint everyone with the same brush. The last 3 presidents of the United States smoked pot. They didn't turn into degenerates. I'm sure people will debate that. Haha. I don't even smoke anymore btw. So I don't really care. Reminds me of thar Reffer Madness movie from the 50s. Hysterical over reaction.
Agreed. 1000%. Not saying I want irresponsible use of anything. But I do know a bunch of cannabis users that are super responsible productive members of society. I cannot grasp the legality or illegality of this plant in our society when alcohol is practically glorified at times.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I always thought it was odd that there was always a crowd outside the AA doors with people puffing away waiting for a meeting to start that dealt with addiction.

So where is the limit of our abstinence: pot? nicotine? caffeine? Benadryl? aspirin?

I don't smoke pot and never had an issue with it, my issue WAS booze.