Notices

What's The Point?

Old 03-10-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What's The Point?

This will probably be somewhat depressing, so if you're already depressed then I'd advise looking at a picture of a kitten or something.

I'll preface this by saying that I have been off booze for over 40 days now.

I am an intelligent person, but I don't have many of the things that people seem to take for granted, like friends, loved ones, money, dreams, drive, goals etc.

I have a low opinion of the world at large as well, with only 1% of the global population soon to own more than half of all the wealth in the world. People too stupid or apathetic to see that the people they elect in the western world have absolutely no desire to change the status-quo or to help those who elected them. How many teachers or war veterans or scientists or engineers are elected versus lawyers and career politicians? There are numerous examples of the government simply not giving a sh*t.

So screw that - perhaps all you can look for in life is to try and stay under the radar and have your own little happy life with friends and family.

It would be quite nice in my opinion, to have a wife and family to come home to, but I can't see that ever happening.

Between my debts, my lack of social contact, my lack of anyone who actually needs me and my good humour leaving me like water through a sieve, I just don't see the point in carrying on.

Sure I'm sober right now, but if it weren't for the antabuse I would be drunk by now. At least I don't have to think about anything. So what if it puts me in more debt. So what if I die? There is no point in being alive anyway. Even pictures of kittens and puppies no longer do the trick.

I don't believe in any deity, so that ain't going to stop me, and I have read that death by carbon monoxide poisoning is pretty painless, so what is there left?

When you feel like you have absolutely nothing, what keeps you going?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lost a lot through my drinking, DD.
It took me a little longer than 40 days to get some of the things I'd lost back.

It took me most of my first year to dig myself out the the financial hole I'd dug spending all my money on beer and not on my bills...

It took me a few months to learn to interact socially again sober and make friends where the common element wasn't drinking.

If you're not working, I recommend volunteering. It's a good way to meet people and do something productive. You can also make a difference, however small to other people's lives.

It took me a while to earn back the trust of people I loved. I had to show them I'd changed and I wasn't just talking BS.

It took me at least 3 months to lose the dark and pretty cynical view I had of the world.

That kind of worldview is great for a drinker - always something to get drunk at...but it's not so good for sober blokes. I see the world a lot more optimistically than I used to,

Anyone can list off the problems of the world, but sobriety gives me the opportunity to actually do something about the wrongs I see in the world.

Give yourself a little time DD. and maybe think about what you want your life to be like...maybe there's some small changes in your life that you can male that will make you happier or a little more content?

D
Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DrunkenDonuts I know where you are coming from but I don't quite agree. How can the world change if we dreamers don't initiate change?

Indeed if we accept our easy place (in the western world) in life then how will life change?

Gratitude helps me, so does action. Instead of focussing on what I don't have I focus on what I do have -- which is a lot.

I love puppies and kittens but my social action -- volunteering -- helps a lot more than looking at their pictures.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most of all the fact that I cared about stuff before, and believe I will again.

I get where you're coming from, and I've struggled with the same thoughts as you. What did you enjoy in childhood? What kind of person were you before life made you jaded?

I also read that to be happy we need purpose. One of the suggestions was to find something that gets you engaged and go all in. Whether it's animal rescue, world peace or the local craft fair.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It say your location is Perth? You sound like an American to me. Or actually you sound a lot like me in general. But as far as politics goes... sad indeed.

As far as not wanting to live... That is an entirely different issue. I've been there too many times to recount. What keeps me going? The thought that it isn't as bad as I think. I have been in the lowest of lows and I came out of it. Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Trust when I say I didn't care - f the light at the end of the tunnel, just send the train through. I WAS THERE! For some reason I stuck it out. And things got better. They just did without explanation. Time heals all wounds? Maybe.

As much as you hear about writing a gratitude list and scoff, I think it would be beneficial. Think of something you always wanted to do. If nothing matters and you have ties to no-one, why not begin a new journey in life? Something.

Think of something you've always wanted to do. It can be simple, something just for your pleasure. Or it can be something on a grand scale. Maybe start a blog, become a writer and try to change the world? It doesn't matter. One thing I would suggest is to learn the serenity prayer. You don't have to believe in a god or many gods. You don't have to believe in anything. The serenity prayer is basically saying, please allow me - grant me - the ability to have common sense. It's nothing more. A person of higher intelligence can dissect it and analyze it or whatever. The most profound part of the serenity "prayer" is the last part. "The wisdom to know the difference." Once you get a grasp on that part of it, most of your angst with the world goes away.
For as long as the sun shines there will be conflicts between man over religion, land or just plain greed. Self-righteousness and greed are the two most evil of human characteristics. But until another million years pass and we are all gray beings, we must accept it as a truth of humanity.
So fawget about it already. Enjoy life with what you have and make the most out of it.
I suggest reading, "The Sacred Path of the Warrior" ---------- If everyone lived by the standard presented in that little book, greed and self-righteousness would disappear.

In the mean time, savor the sun, the moon, the ground and the sky. Sit on the beach and marvel at the ocean waves, count the grains of sand...

edit: no replies when I started typing. I agree with all previous comments, I could have gone on for pages with more thoughts on this...
Old 03-10-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Uncle Walt asked the same question. I rather like his answer, too.

Originally Posted by Walt Whitman
O ME! O life!... of the questions of these recurring;
Of the endless trains of the faithless—of cities fill’d with the foolish;
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light—of the objects mean—of the struggle ever renew’d;
Of the poor results of all—of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me;
Of the empty and useless years of the rest—with the rest me intertwined;
The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?

Answer.

That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DD,

Instead of focusing on how "stupid" people are, or being angry that a small majority of the world owning over half the wealth on Earth, etc., why don't you try to be more positive. It seems like you're giving up on any hope of obtaining a happy life. Instead of being critical of people who stay "under the radar and have their own little happy life with friends and family", I think this is something to strive for. You seem resigned to the idea that you will never have any meaningful relationships in your life, and as we know, thoughts become reality. Like attracts like. If you focus on darkness, you'll not only see darkness, but you'll attract more darkness into your life. There is more than just darkness, though.

No matter how hopeless and desperate you think your situation seems, the fact is there are so many people in far more "hopeless" and far more "desperate" situations that, with the correct attitude, elevate themselves from their current situation and move towards happiness. Why not focus on the positive things in your life, like, for one, you're sober and not drunk. There has to be some things you feel grateful for. You need to exchange your negative energy with some positive energy; maybe work out, go running or something. The world is a beautiful place if you look at it through the right set of eyes. Good luck on your journey.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to reconnect spiritually in order to recover. I had to learn to listen to my soul and to find a purpose in my life. Are you doing anything to change things in the world or in your life? Finding a sense of purpose could really help you.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

About the world, politics, money.

I used to think I would never be part of the "machine". I have learned how to play the game and doing well for myself. When I come home, I don't need to play the game, I just live my life.

So be smart, play the game, learn how to do well financially, you will then be positioned to change things. But no matter what, do not drink, you will loose the game before you get to play one round.

My 15 cents of the day ;-)
Old 03-10-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. Mine is a little belated because I took my parents dog for a walk around the block - Something to do I guess rather than dwelling on things.

Dee - It's not that I've lost a lot. Sure I've been through the embarrassment of losing my licence and lost years to being angry and bitter. I just never *gained* anything. Since I've been in my early 20's I have had no close friends. My family don't need me as they all have their own families and kids. I don't like myself, so I haven't even tried to find someone else who might see something in me. I know the words and I know what you're meant to do, but I just don't do those things. I feel myself to be such a reprehensible person that I'm not worth it. In the past I just drank because it was an easy way to not think.

I do have a job which I'm very good at. In fact that's what got me thinking down this gloomy path; Someone at work being inexplicably rude to me. Used to think they were nice, but I just don't understand why anyone would be nasty to another person for no reason. Makes me mad and sad.

I am not quite as depressed now. There are some who would say the exercise helped and they may be right.

Marcher - I wish I could believe that the world will change for the better in my lifetime, but I'm still pessimistic on that front

Stella - I've always been somewhat introverted and thoughtful, with a sense of humour which could easily get me into trouble anywhere. Not quite the "sensible chuckle" type of humour widely accepted. I used to really love computer games and electronics, but can't really get back into those things due to my poor concentration and lack of staying power. Am getting an assessment for adult ADHD done in a few weeks so perhaps I'll find an answer there.

LBrain - I am in Australia, but we're just copying the USA in most things. Our government is horrible and we have a two party system as well.
After my short walk around the block I do feel somewhat better. I guess waiting it out does work. As long as there is a distraction. Probably would have just spiraled into a deeper hole if I hadn't written on the site.

I do enjoy writing, so perhaps I'll write a humour site. May even link you if you'd like :P

I have been to a number of AA meetings and repeated whatever they all chant. I never really felt like a part of it and didn't learn too much of their scripture. I will accept that the serenity prayer might help me come to my senses when I am sailing through choppy emotional seas. I feel that the thought behind it - stop, think, take a breath - might help me as well. I appreciate your thoughts

Again - thanks all.

Edit -- Only a few replies when I wrote this. Thanks to the others who posted as well.

Last edited by DrunkenDonuts; 03-10-2015 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Only a few replies when I wrote this. Thanks to the others who posted as well.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

we get more of what we focus on....

from the tone of your post I think one thing that would be really good for you is a total media fast.

I stopped watching the news or reading newspapers or paying attention to media reports several years ago and it had an almost immediate positive impact on my outlook.

Then - when you stop paying attention to all the contstant barrage of the negative, try playing a game I like to call "One Good Thing".

It's where you find One Good Thing in your life, your immediate surrounding or your moment and you focus on that and you offer a little gratitude for it. It can be as small as a pool of sunshine to sit in quietly or as large as a newfound friend.... whatever. Just find SOMETHING good and take a moment to say to yourself or aloud "I'm grateful for that".

Then a little later.... play "One Good Thing" again.

If you do this, you will begin to find - as I did and as so many people I know have done - that One Good Thing Leads To Another.

We truly DO magnify and create more of that which we focus on. Looking at all the things we DON'T have, lamenting all the things we WISHED we had, honing in on all that is WRONG with the world - virtually gurantees our own misery.

It's not easy, especially at first. Sometimes it will even feel 'fake'. But don't let that stop you. Do it anyway, even if it feel forced. Keep doing it. Stop watching the news and instead if you MUST look at media, google "positive news".

Start doing something new... no matter what it is. Just go DO something different that puts you outside of your routine.

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL... it really is. We can get so caught in the cycles of the negative, especially in early sobriety. But I promise you; if you do the work, shift your focus, commit yourself to finding the positives no matter how small they may seem right now..... before you know it you will start to see a change in your whole world.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the world of people is not sane or pleasant as a whole. i choose to rebel.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
So be smart, play the game, learn how to do well financially, you will then be positioned to change things. But no matter what, do not drink, you will loose the game before you get to play one round.

My 15 cents of the day ;-)
If I knew how to play the game I would do exactly as you have said, but I just don't understand people or why they act the way they do.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey DD, I feel you brother. Life is unfair, and perhaps utterly meaningless. But if one can detach a bit and try to just be mindful of events as they tick by, it can be somewhat interesting. I find it difficult when I just sit and ponder how much life sucks. I try to remember that it could always be worse, and that most of humanity have it so much worse than I do. I don't have a point really... This is just a part of the human condition.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I had to reconnect spiritually in order to recover. I had to learn to listen to my soul and to find a purpose in my life. Are you doing anything to change things in the world or in your life? Finding a sense of purpose could really help you.
I guess I'm not a very spiritual person... I don't understand what it means to be spiritual without believing in something like a god.

I am trying to ignore other people and do what I think is right for me at the moment. I have always cared a little too much what other people thought anyway. Perhaps that will help.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkenDonuts View Post
Thank you all for the replies. Mine is a little belated because I took my parents dog for a walk around the block - Something to do I guess rather than dwelling on things.
PERFECT!!!!!!

Taking the dog for a walk is One Good Thing!!!!!

"I got the dog out for a walk, focused on something brighter, got some fresh air, I'm thankful for that".

Another game I used to play that helped me through hard times was exactly this; I'd take the dog out for a walk and along the walk I would practice NOTICING. It was basically mindfulness but practically what I did was just walk at a nice easy pace and wherever my gaze shifted, I would focus on that for a moment and just really NOTICE it. A boat... it's colors, lines and textures. A flower, it's intricacy. A hummingbird, how it floated and flitted as if by magic. As random thoughts entered to try and drag me into the stories in my mind and the chatter of a modern-day head.... I would refocus and let that noise go; A cat on a fence, watching us.... a pine tree, swaying in the breeze, birds on a wire that resembled music notes....

This really does help. Do it daily. Practice these things. They will seem like work at first but they really are powerful, simple tools for discovering Joy.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
DD,

Instead of focusing on how "stupid" people are, or being angry that a small majority of the world owning over half the wealth on Earth, etc., why don't you try to be more positive. It seems like you're giving up on any hope of obtaining a happy life. Instead of being critical of people who stay "under the radar and have their own little happy life with friends and family", I think this is something to strive for. You seem resigned to the idea that you will never have any meaningful relationships in your life, and as we know, thoughts become reality. Like attracts like. If you focus on darkness, you'll not only see darkness, but you'll attract more darkness into your life. There is more than just darkness, though.
I think you misread me a bit. I am resigned to the fact that the world is the way that it is. I am in no way critical of people who have their own little lives and are happy - I want to be one of them.

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
No matter how hopeless and desperate you think your situation seems, the fact is there are so many people in far more "hopeless" and far more "desperate" situations that, with the correct attitude, elevate themselves from their current situation and move towards happiness. Why not focus on the positive things in your life, like, for one, you're sober and not drunk. There has to be some things you feel grateful for. You need to exchange your negative energy with some positive energy; maybe work out, go running or something. The world is a beautiful place if you look at it through the right set of eyes. Good luck on your journey.
I do understand that there are many people who have it worse than myself. If I had been paid for the number of times I've heard people say "Cheer up! There are people who have it worse" I would be a wealthy man. There is nothing wrong with that statement, but it doesn't make my feelings any less real.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I will try to be more positive and not let other people irritate me as easily.

Thanks mate.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling better. I understand - in early sobriety it's very common to experience some deep depression. I dealt with a lot of the things you are dealing with also. I started to think about how the universe is this huge place and we are just floating on a speck of dust, and what we do here really doesn't matter on the grand scale, etc, etc. And that might be true.

But remember that our existence and consciousness is quite a gift! We have the ability to ponder such things, which is itself amazing. The bottom line is that we must play the cards we're dealt. There is no re-shuffling of the deck. And it could be worse - you're in a warm climate with a beautiful ocean nearby, you can appreciate and enjoy such things.

What about travel? That might perk you up. Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Africa...there's a lot to see out there! I traveled solo to many of these places - you don't need friends, just your sobriety and an open mind. Sometimes a change of scenery does wonders and opens up new possibilities. In the meantime, just take it one day at a time. Stay sober, and start to think about something that will excite you. All the best to you, congrats on 40 days!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Another game I used to play that helped me through hard times was exactly this; I'd take the dog out for a walk and along the walk I would practice NOTICING. It was basically mindfulness but practically what I did was just walk at a nice easy pace and wherever my gaze shifted, I would focus on that for a moment and just really NOTICE it. A boat... it's colors, lines and textures. A flower, it's intricacy. A hummingbird, how it floated and flitted as if by magic. As random thoughts entered to try and drag me into the stories in my mind and the chatter of a modern-day head.... I would refocus and let that noise go; A cat on a fence, watching us.... a pine tree, swaying in the breeze, birds on a wire that resembled music notes....
Thanks This sounds like something which I'd like to do. I'll give it a crack when I'm taking the woofer out for a walk.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ya**!

"I am what hope I have and give." - E. E.