Notices

Dentist and prescription painkillers

Old 03-08-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dentist and prescription painkillers

I have a dentist appointment Tuesday and I'm nervous I will be losing a tooth. I already plan on telling him ahead of time that I am in recovery but I'm nervous about the pain. Do I take the script just in case or will higher ibuprofen type stuff work just as well? I am a big baby when it comes to mouth pain but I don't know if this is a new sneaky way of my AV trying to get me sucked into something else. It doesn't seem like AV but who knows, I have never had 5 months clean and sober. If the ibuproferin or whatever non addictive stuff they give you works, I'll take it. How bad is this going to be?

Jennifer
Old 03-08-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had two extractions. Very little in the way of pain. I've had a lot of other procedures too, and even at it's worst, over the counter pain relief was more than adequate Jen

D
Old 03-08-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I have had a ton of dental work done lately. I told my dentist I was concerned because I had lost control of my drinking. The stuff she gave me didn't really do anything besides help with the pain. They didn't give me that many anyway. Use it sparingly and if you are getting concerned throw it out and go to straight advil. It did not trigger an AV attack on me.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out in college, I got a script for Vicodin (I think). It made me extremely nauseous and I puked it up. Wasn't a huge deal as I wasnt in any real pain, but two days later, I woke up with dry socket which was horrendously painful. The doctor had to go in and remove some tissue and did that with just minimal local anesthesia.

I'm HORRIBLE with medical treatments (flu shot makes me nauseous), so that was horrible.

Anyway, since I'd reacted badly to the Vicodin, the doc gave me super extra stength Tylenol. While it certainly was uncomfortable, it wasn't really all that bad.

Sorry for the longish story, but basically, I think you can get through it without the prescription meds.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said
Old 03-08-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I'd steer clear of Vicodin, which they gave me after oral surgery. Seems like they hand them out like party favors. After taking several in one day as prescribed I was puking the next day, I felt like a Junkie. Threw the rest of the bottle away and was fine with Tylenol.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi Countrygirl!

I just had a tooth pulled a week ago! No pain meds were needed! Get you some of the Peroxyl Mouth Sore Rinse! Your antibiotics will also help to clear up any infection that causes the pain!

And if you're a smoker? Do NOT smoke with that hole uncovered! You'll end up with a dry socket and those are very painful! A friend had two teeth pulled right before I did and he's still dealing with a dry socket because he didn't keep it covered while he was smoking! I knew to cover the hole!

You'll do fine! I had the fear too, but it all turned out just fine!

TOD
Old 03-08-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Simple, are you going to be addictive and abusive. Do you want to be abusive, regardless of pain. If you are going to abuse, don't bother with it, suffer and be happy with sobriety.

If you are in pain, the pain is more than you can handle and need help, take the medication, but once the script is done, go on being sober.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi countrygirl, I've had a lot of problems with mouth pain since I was a kid, and just wanted to add my suggestion that you talk with the dentist about ALL the non-narcotic options that are available. There are many more options than I ever thought there were. My own personal experience is that in addition to painkillers like Advil, there are over-the-counter and prescription mouthwashes and gels that numb mouth pain that have been enormously helpful to me, and also other options that aren't narcotics. Once you have all the information you and your dentist can make the best decision for you. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had ZERO problems with taking pain medications, as prescribed, for a day or two following serious dental work.

On a scale of 0-100 of "waking the addictive voice/waking the beast" it was a zero.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I realize it's not the same for everyone. Take as little as needed.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice guys. It can't be any worse than the constant toothache I have right now. Grrrr. One more day. This sucks. I can't take Alleve anymore, which worked the best, because it started tearing up my stomach. I can't wait for this to be over.

Jennifer
Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi.
This is a great opportunity to be honest with ourselves regarding addictive painkillers. We have separate experiences and are not here to invoke medical advice.

With tooth work/extractions I will first try a over the counter pain relief med which most times don’t work for me. I will also have a prescription for pain med which I’ll cut the pills in ½ and the pain usually is gone by the 3rd day. JMO

BE WELL