Notices

Why Can't I Figure Out "God"?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

The concept of a higher power can be applied to anything I feel. I don't personally believe in God but I believe in a force beyond human comprehension. All I have to do to feel small is look up at the stars and think about what I am looking at and instantly I feel like a powerless speck of dust.

But ultimately for me, you either believe or you don't. I've endured and continue to endure many challenges in my life and many people have tried to convince me to "find God". My response is usually a flat out statement that I don't believe in such a being and that I can not force myself to simply start believing in it. I also remind them that it is not their job to impose what they believe on me or anyone else.

As far as whether you need a higher power to be sober, I don't think that is necessarily true. I have overcome a lot in life without believing in God. So no one can tell me that I need anything other than my own will and desire to get through life. But it does help to acknowledge that, in the grand scheme of things, we really are tiny in comparison.

Just my take on the issue.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Maybe accept that you can find sobriety without believing in a god?

Believe in yourself?
Old 03-09-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be great if, just once, we have a thread where we don't express opinions as facts.

Someone else's 'BS' just may be my cherished belief.

Let's have a little communal respect, all round, please.

Please Read! The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Dee
SR
Old 03-09-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
First 3 steps are becoming willing. Steps 4-9 are how you do it. Steps 10,11 and 12 are how you keep it done. Turning up to AA and trying to figure out God and sending up the odd prayer won't do it. Read the instructions (book)
Ohhhh...

Just had an "aha" moment.

Jennifer
Old 03-09-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by HeyStoopid View Post
I've seen two counselors on a weekly basis outside of AA, one for 2 months and another for almost 7 months. Neither was all that helpful, because I already know my issues, I just have refused to deal with them (at least without the aid of meds).

I've known for quite some time why I land on my ass, and I continue to fark up anyway. I think only certain drinks, like hard liquor, get me in trouble. I think I can easily "taper" on beer (which is true until I seriously take a flying leap off the wagon). Basically, I still think I can "control" things, until I drink for 4-5 days at a stretch, and start sweating and panicking.

I'm sort of "lucky" to have an employer who doesn't notice much.
I don't know if I would call that lucky. Enablers like that almost killed me.

I got some kinda handle on the God thing through taking the steps and removing the blockages. But you see I had crossed a line where there was no return through human aid, and the majority of problem drinkers never cross that line. They don't need the God thing, they don't need to take the steps, they can solve their problems in other ways.

Of course I tried all other ways available to me at the time, but I concluded in the end, that the only way out was through a relationship with a power greater than me who would solve my problem. Oddly, that is exactly what AA was about.

My journey in AA was less about not drinking, I lost that battle, and more about finding this father of light guy. As I pursued that through the steps, the drink problem seemed to disappear, almost as a side benefit.

I say again, the majority of problem drinkers will get well without all that stuff, and man how I tried to prove I was in that majority, but I wasnt. It saved my life.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My relationship with God is an extremely important in how I continue to recover and to grow, I hope in His image and likeness (from time to time).

To me, AA is an instrument of God.

I don't entirely understand everything there is to know about God, but I know that I have been sober since I reached out to him in prayer a couple of months before I wound up in the treatment center.

I also don't understand physics, electricity, medicine, or a considerable amount of other topics, but they, nonetheless, work and function quit well.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I am working on the 12 steps, I have figured out god, when I have been going to AA meetings. The god that people are known that u do something sin then u are going to hell, this isn't what the god is in AA, its a god u find in yourself. You need to work on you first before anything going to work. The first step you came in here cause u have a problem drinking that you are powerfulness over alcohol. The 2nd step u need to find yourself and find the higher power then you. Meaning it can be the people who are helping u thru this, it can be AA meetings, can be your sponsor... The next step is give 100 percent of your willing to your sobriety or higher power to do the rest. You have be patient and say the prayer it helps. But you have to willing to stop drinking or it wont work. Its 35 days for me and believe me its hard but I take 1 day at a time and call my sponsor or tell my husband or in here I am not drinking tonight .
Old 03-09-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful

The only thing I have figured out for sure about God is that I'm not him. My concept of a HP seems to change over time, but knowing I'm not the one running things has allowed me to "cease fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol". That quote is from the Step 10 promises and one that came true for me. When I let my HP run the show (whatever he/she/it is) life just seems to run smoother as it takes a big load off of my shoulders by not having to run the show myself.