Notices

When will I stop thinking about alcohol.. if ever

Old 03-08-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will I stop thinking about alcohol.. if ever

I have been sober 6 days. Big deal, I know. But I made it through the weekend, and actually, didn't even want it. I know I need to quit, and I'm determined, and I'm sure the first weekend is the easiest.

But walking through the store, I see alcohol and I'm uncomfortable. Not that I necessarily WANT it, but it just makes me feel awkward. And I think about it. About how I'm going to react when my husband drinks around me at the next family party. Or how I'm going to feel when someone brings wine to my house.

More so, when I am going to stop counting the days as "days that I have been sober", and not thinking about "not drinking", if that makes sense.

I know there is not one answer, but what was it for the veterans around here?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Buckley, welcome to SR.
You know,6 days is a big deal. As a matter of fact it's awesome.
I wouldn't say I'm a veteran, but I have been sober for a year and a half now.

As time goes by you will notice that seeing booze, other folks drinking or even the smell wont be that appealing to you. It's all about time, and everybody's body reacts differently to sobriety. But, I can't think of anything more worth while than staying sober. It has been the biggest game changer in my life and I'm sure it will be in yours.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Bob.
Just reading what you said, that 6 days is a big deal, and it's awesome, has me getting choked up.

Not many people in my life understand what I'm going through. That this is a change I must make if I am going to be a good mother and a happy person. I was such an embarrassing mess, and so ashamed. I wish my husband would be a bit more understanding and keep booze out of the house for the time being, but it almost makes me more determined to beat this. Thank you for your words.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They say it takes 28 days to break a habit. I think it took me a couple of months to stop thinking about it so much. I still think about it, but not much and it doesn't bother me so much. Just hang in there. ..time flies and it gets easier. Congratulations on 6 days!!!! That's quite an accomplishment.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Buckley...you are doing great. It is hard. But you no longer have to be embarrassed or ashamed anymore. You can hold your head up high and be proud of yourself. Keep going!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Buckley - congrats on 6 days. Those early days of sobriety can be pretty raw. It isn't always easy. You are doing a great job. One of the alcohol recovery programs sees problem drinking as an obsession of the mind, so the way you a feeling now is normal. It slowly changes over time, so hang in there. :-)
Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Buckley, something happened to me a few months into sobriety that helped me immensely.

I had no support systems in place and the focus of my life was extremely narrow at the time I entered sobriety; I was white-knuckling it with the belief that true healing would come at some far and distant point when I had accumulated a significant amount of sober time.

I had what I call a Grace of God Moment; I became truly thankful for, appreciative of and joyful in, every single sober moment; when it comes right down to it - what else do we have, or can we truly possess and experience, except for each given moment.

Congratulations on 6 days; well done.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Buckley, congrats on Day 6, you are doing great.

I find that I think about alcohol often, but what I think about it has changed over time. I no longer get urges to drink and don't miss alcohol. I think it took several months for my thinking to gradually change.

Stay focused on staying sober as it requires considerable effort at the beginning. My wife drinks 2-3 glasses of wine per week and I don't even notice now. Likewise, when we entertain we serve alcohol but it's just something I don't do.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 6 have you got a sober plan bud ?
Old 03-08-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Revolutionising a lifestyle is going to take more than weeks or even months, as we become accustomed to a "non drinker" life our old life will be pushed to the side, and with it thoughts of drinking will fade!!

It's going to take time, but it will get easier!!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started thinking less about drinking at around 3 months sober. That is the time when I started practicing gratitude every day. I found something to be grateful for every day. And that's when my sobriety got more comfortable and secure.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe you won't ever stop thinking about alcohol....but your perspective on it will change, eventually.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Around 90 days is when I didn't think about it. I wasn't focused on 'not drinking' anymore.

But it took about 9 months when I started to not even think about it.
Aside from the occasional thought, drinking is vary far from my mind. Hang in there. In time you won't even think about it.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

At eight months I rarely think about it. This is from someone ho used to drink obsessively every single day. Give it time.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

6 days is a big deal Buckley, don't minimize it. I am at 7 days myself--that is the most days I've gone without any booze in over 6 years. So I am proud of that.

I hear you about going to the store, always seeing the ads on TV, etc...As soon as I walked in the store last night, there was a huge display of the beer I used to drink all the time right by the front entrance. But I was able to walk past it.

There is really no way of avoiding it--we live in a culture where alcohol is constantly bombarding our senses--displays at the store, billboards, TV and radio ads, big signs at the ballpark or arena. In fact, I am listening to a baseball game on my computer as I type this and an ad just came on with the sound effects of beer being poured into a glass.

But you know what?--I'm not going to live my life in a cave just to avoid these things. All I can do is work on myself and utilize my strength and resources (like this SR group) to help me. The stories I've read on here are amazing and inspire me.

I went to a used bookstore today and bought a copy of 'Living Sober' and will look through it tonight. I feel like I have to be the one taking action so the cravings and desire to drink don't overtake me.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

6 days is a big deal

as for when do you stop thinking about alcohol - longer than 6 days...

I drank for years...& all day everyday by the end....

it was always going to take a few months for me...but progressively I thought about drinking less and less - you will too

D
Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 8.

Sober plan...

Well, for starters, I told my husband that there is to be no wine in the house.

Any plans that we may have for the time being in which we were invited to go somewhere where there will be alcohol will be cancelled, or I will not go.

I am going to continue therapy and be completely honest with my therapist.

My best friend is very, very supportive, and also sober. I will call her if I am struggling.

But so far, so good. This is my first attempt at sobriety where the end was not "well, maybe SOMEDAY I can drink". It's "I will never drink again. EVER."

Any other suggestions for a sober plan?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Buckley, great work on eight days! That's terrific. And so hard. But you're doing it. You are laying down some good foundations. Setting boundaries about no wine at home. No events including alcohol. A supportive sober friend. All really great things. Have you considered attending AA meetings? I go periodically and I've made friends with two women that I can call, text, see for support but also just for daily friendship. Maybe consider that?

I also read and post on SR. It makes me think about my own sobriety and recovery when I write responses. You are doing well. Eight days. I couldn't even get two days for the longest time.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good of you to realize that social events that include alcohol will have to be put on hold. A lot of people aren't willing to make that change, and suffer for it.

Originally Posted by Buckley View Post
Any other suggestions for a sober plan?
Perhaps a strategy for dealing with overwhelming urges to drink. What activities you can engage in to distract you? Perhaps thinking about rekindling old interests or discovering new ones so that your "drinking times" are filled with something else to do. And perhaps stock your bookshelf (literal or virtual) with recovery reading material.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 8 Buckley good plan