Notices

Time to take action.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey Mark,

It's good to hear that you are feeling better but I would caution you against rationalizing drinking any specific type of alcohol because of its health benefits. Just about every type has been shown to provide health benefits, but like all research, it must be taken with a grain of salt.

In the end, if you feel the need to drink sake (or anything alcoholic for that matter) every night, that is a red flag. If you find it even slightly challenging to go without it, that is a red flag.

Ultimately, total abstinence is the best way to take total control of your life back. I encourage you to do so!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Mark I was an evening drinker too, I'd start with a "decent" white then fill up on boxed booze. It helped me to change everything about my evenings -- we ate earlier (and I ate a bit more to feel satiated which I didn't before), I found a non-alcoholic drink I liked and I poured it early, I took up handwork and I lived on SR in the evenings for the first few months. That was two years ago, you can do it too.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

welcome!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"Here are some of the methods we have tried: drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums - we could increase the list ad infinitum.

For one who is unable to drink moderately, the question is how to stop altogether - assuming, of course, he desires to stop. Whether such a person can quit on a non spiritual basis, depends upon the extent to which he has already lost the power to choose whether he will drink or not. Many of us felt that we had plenty of character. There was a tremendous urge to cease forever. Yet we found it impossible. This is the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it: this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish.

But there was always the curious mental phenomenon that parallel with our sound reasoning there inevitably ran some insanely trivial excuse for taking that first drink. Our sound reasoning failed to hold us in check. The insane idea won out. The next day we would ask ourselves, in all earnestness and sincerity, how it could have happened."

Sake, vodka, whiskey, beer, wine.... maybe just schnapps??

Been there, done that.....

Moderation may work for a while - but for me it always turned out to just be a trap door right back to the oblivion.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What have been some of your experiences with just going cold turkey? If I even think about not having even one drink, I start having the equivalent of anxiety attacks. I know it's mostly mental, but I'm just curious of others experiences.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Mark. I started having hallucinations when I tried cold turkey. Woke up in the middle of the night and yelled out loud to my husband, "Oh Sh%t i'm hallucinating! ". Not cool. Ended up tapering successfully. A doctors help I believe would have been a lot easier. IMO.