Notices

Lots of reading! Beware! 26 days away from one year

Old 03-07-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Lots of reading! Beware! 26 days away from one year

It's been a while since I've told anyone all this all at once but here it goes I hope your ready to read. As I approach one year of my soberity I would like to start from the beginning when I was 14 years old. My childhood friend who I had rode the bus with for years and lived only a mile down the road from me finally convinced me to save my lunch money to buy weed. I got 2$ a day for lunch and by the end of the week we each had 10$ and bought a gram of weed. I held on to it and smoked it with my older brother and for the first time I was high they say you don't get high the first time but I did. Next just a short few months later my brother had a get together at the house and offered me a few beers if I didn't tell on him that he was having a party in the garage. I accepted and drank 2 beers and liked the buzz I had and wanted more but he said that was it. Those were my first experiences of getting high and then getting drunk it was pretty much downhill from 14 on. My dad was always away on business working in aerospace and my mom working a part time job left me with not much parenting through my teenage years. I got into lots of trouble at school trying to be the cool kid and outside of school vandalizing and sneaking out late at night with friends and bragging about it online.

Not knowing that my dad had a software to read instant messages. Boy were me and my older brother in for it. One Sunday my dad who usually was dressed and ready to make us do yard work was sitting in front of the computer all day which was a bit awkward. Me and my brother didn't have the slightest clue what was going on until he snapped. Kicking my brother out for him bragging about doing drugs and partying and me for vandalizing and throwing things at cars and sneaking out at night. My brother drove off in his car as I wondered if I were to ever see him again. Then it was just me and my little sister. My dad paced around the house yelling at me and screaming about how stupid I was. Then he picked me up and slammed me into the cabinet with my head bouncing off the cabinet knob and splitting open. Then he picked me up and threw me against the glass door and I looked up and saw blood on the glass and my sister punched him and told him to stop.

As he was bandaging my head he told me it was my fault that he did this to me. I didn't know what to think as I tried to stop crying while looking in the mirror. He then called my friends parents and had them come over and I had to tell them what we did. This pretty much ****** me up for quite sometime after. My mom was pretty upset with what happened and I remember them yelling and screaming at eachother. My dads dream was to open a restaurant and eventually have my brothers and me run it. So after living in CT for most of my childhood half way through my freshman year we moved to NH. I went from a graduating class of maybe 100 kids to 500 in a week. Let's just say dad wasn't around and I didn't make the best of friends being the new kid. My weekends were always full of errands and chores. Then we finally opened up the restaurant and I was working for tips. My dad invested so much time in his money and work and restaurant that I could see the decline in his relationship with my mom. The day I finished 9th grade I went dirt biking all day with my friend and came home and passed out. To be awakened by my little sister screaming and dogs barking. My dad punched my mom then tried to strangle her while fighting about custody over us after their divorce. The cops told me to comfort my sister and make sure she stayed in the room with me. This was the last time I saw my dad for a long time.

With him out of the picture I took advantage of my mom and did whatever I wanted by 18 I graduated early and went to Orlando Florida for a 4 month personal training course and shoyld have stayed their and got a internship. I decided to come back to graduate with my friends. By then I had gotten countless tickets for speeding and what knot, got arrested got a underage DWI and went to jail for resisting arrest and disordly conduct after trying to move back into my moms house after being kicked out due to fighting with her now husband. Man did I **** up big time and more than once.

I got out of jail and my brothers which are from my dads side of the marriage took me in and got me a job at their restaurant I worked for them for 3 years until deciding at 22 years old to take my current gf and me at the time had been saving up to move to key west and live with her dad who is a contractor down their. I was sick of working for my brothers for 10$ a hour watching them drive BMWs to work. So we took her dads offer and saved our money for 8 months and drove down to key west and lived their for 2 years and had some fun and worked a lot to be able to afford the cost of living in key west.

We decided to move back home in August of 2013. Living with my mom for a few weeks till we got jobs and found a place. Now I'm back home and doing ok, my story is a little crazy but whose isn't. Basically no matter what you go through it's never to late to change for years I thought that smoking lots of weed and binge drinking was a way to mask my problems till I went to a high school friends funeral last April and realized you can only put on so many masks before your not even yourself anymore. Thank you for reading my story their are some in betweens but most of it is their.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're on the recovery road now Brad. Thanks for sharing your story with us

D
Old 03-08-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice work on sharing brad. So happy for you that you figured all of this out at such a young age. WIsh I had. Keep it up.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

I'm pleased that's the past for you, Brad.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good work Brad thanks for sharing
Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks for sharing this Brad. It's very inspirational to me that you've managed to turn your life around.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the posts. It felt good the get that out I try not to think about the past to much and try to just move on and improve my life on a day to day basis but sometimes it pops up from time to time. I hope everyone is doing well, thanks again!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing with us! Glad you are in recovery with us! Sounds like you have strong will and determination!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also congrats on the upcoming one year! Mao awesome! I can't wait to be there! I'll wish ya congrats again in 26 days!
Old 03-08-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fantastic Brad!!