Notices

Can adults go to young person AA meetings?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can adults go to young person AA meetings?

I need a meeting today. Bad situation with my home life and I really feel I need to go. However, the ONLY meeting that I could possibly attend is a late night meeting, and it's listed as a "Young AA" meetings. It doesn't specify if there are age restrictions or whatnot.

Has anyone ever been to one of these? Are they just for teenagers and young adults? I am a mid-30s woman -- would I be completely out of place here? Would I even be ALLOWED here?

I don't believe most meetings turn anyone away who has a desire to stop drinking and who is desperately in need of a meeting. However, I don't want to go if it's going to be awkward or if the other attendees would feel uncomfortable having a 30-something there.

I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this? I'm in a bad way, and I really don't want to go straight home after I leave work tonight. I really need a meeting, and I need one almost worse than I ever have before (or else I wouldn't be considering going to this).

If I skip this meeting, I won't be able to get to a meeting until tomorrow. I mean, I could go first thing in the morning and hit a meeting (which I probably will, regardless of whether or not I go to the Young AA meeting tonight).

Sorry for the rambling post. I'm a basket case right now, and the only thing getting me through the rest of my work day is the thought that I could hit a meeting as soon as a leave.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm 63 so think mid thirties is young. I'd say, go and introduce yourself as someone desperate for a meeting.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

According to AA, a person with a problem with alcohol is always welcome and not out of place at an AA meeting!!

So go for it!!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would go for it. If you need a meeting you need a meeting
Old 03-07-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I've often seen folks in their 40'0 and 50's at young peoples meetings. Nobody will give it a second thought.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I honestly dont know but I know for a 5000% fact AA doesnt turn no one away
Old 03-07-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NightnDay,

I hope you got to a meeting and that you are feeling better.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I concur with above.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I sometimes go to a youth one and there is usually at least one other adult there as well as adult facilitators. It's really interesting seeing the program and the struggle for sobriety through teenage or young adult eyes. I've gotten some powerful glimpses at my own young self through the words of others that way and it has helped me integrate my own story and experience. I think I also bring something to them; offering my own experience for their consideration.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

I know it's probably a bit late to help but it might be good information for others in the future. Every Young Person's Meeting in my area has always stressed that all are welcome. I don't go to them regularly but there is a group in my area that meets twice a week, and one of the meetings is a speaker meeting. I personally find it very inspirational to hear a younger person's story and have always felt welcome at any of their meetings.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I've always wondered if it means young in age, young in sobriety, or people who get sober young which is the group I belong to.

I think if it is the first two then we all will eventually be disqualified from going and the group will lose a lot of experience. I take it to mean the latter so I still go to yp and I love it. It is really fantastic to see other youngsters get the same thing I did. And looking around the rooms I see a few other older youngsters who feel the same