Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Are some online 'alcoholism' questionnaires designed to frighten you excessively?

Notices

Are some online 'alcoholism' questionnaires designed to frighten you excessively?

Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Did some reading online about alcoholism and checked out the 'five stages'. Decided to do one of those 'Are you an alcoholic?' type of tests and got 'indication of late stage alcoholism'. Kind of blew me away, since I might be (most likely am ) an alcoholic, but I'm definitely not end-stage.

Some of the questions in there seemed to have been manufactured in a way that most people who have ever had (this includes those with only one strike) some sort of particular mishap with drinking fit the bill. The questions are something along the lines of starting with 'Have you ever ...?' and then it's a yes/no answer. Nothing about how long ago or how frequently, which seems to be a more accurate evaluation of alcoholism related 'stuff'.
For example, if the question is either 'Have you ever gotten into trouble with the law because of your drinking?' or 'Have you ever had an accident whilst intoxicated or caused others to have accidents?', then the answer would be Yes even for an average college student. That's because having one such experience is kind of to be expected when you mess around with drinking. A person who is definitely not an alcoholic, but might have drank beer in some park with friends, can get into trouble with the law - he/she gets fined for consuming alcohol in public, but this says nothing about his/her drinking habits. Same thing is with the 'accident' question. So you got drunk, it's winter, you slip and fell due to having impaired balance. Was it because of the drink or did it aid in the process? Probably. But once again, this says nothing about the drinking habits of a person. Could have easily been the second time a person consumed alcohol and it simply happened to be winter. Perhaps you were supported by a friend, who was trying to get you home, and as you fell, you dragged him/her down with you and therefore caused 'injury' to them as well. I know they probably meant DUIs or crashing your car, causing serious injuries to yourself and others, but in that case - that's exactly what the test should ask about.

All the wordings in these questionnaires are very vague. Obviously, people who have found this forum (including me) don't do online alcoholism tests to find out 'how bad things have gotten', since we already know that. But to someone who is having doubts and over-worries about stuff, these test could be devastating, don't you think?

It just captivated my mind and I thought I'd share it with you guys. Was actually looking for information on how alcoholism and the recovery afterwards affects connections in the brain and brain chemistry.

All comments are very welcome.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Felon of himself

I've never done one of those questionnaires. I know im an alcoholic and that it has a really negative impact on me and my behaviour, mood etc

As far as brain chemistry I know most alcoholics are b vitamin deficiant. I also know alcohol is a gaba antagonist but im not overly sure what that means apart from something in the brain.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Doesn't beer contain some form of vitamin B ?
And I might be wrong, but GABA and turning those receptors off can be also achieved by drinking loads of coffee. You feel anxious, restless. Might be totally wrong about this, but it is what it is. Still, why not take one of those questionnaires? I think one I did was the John Hopkins version
Old 03-07-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Felon of himself

Never heard that about coffee. I know benzos do the same thing to your gaba as alcohol. and green tea can help gaba after alcohol/drug abuse. i might be wrong
Old 03-07-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I didnt do a test beforehand but once i admitted i was alcoholic i remember in my aa starter park there was a 'is aa for you' it will help your decision Alcoholics Anonymous : Is A.A. For You?
Old 03-07-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Nice to meet you Kkib5's AV now if you don't mind moving over....
How is alcohol affecting you Kkib5? Have you suffered negative consequences from your drinking? Is it impairing your life, your relationships, your state of mind?
If alcohol impacts you negatively, then it makes sense to abstain.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok, I might have posted this thread in the wrong section. I'm in no doubt about being an alcoholic and I am abstaining. Once I start, I simply cannot stop until I've drunk all the beer in the fridge/at the party etc. That wasn't the point of OP.
These questionnaires seem to be very inaccurate, is what I was saying. By those tests, almost anyone who has ever drank to the point of being drunk, is an alcoholic, either in early, middle or end-stage.
Not going into detail, but by those tests, I indicate 'end-stage alcoholism' and if that's true, then people who drink daily are at the 'I cannot, for the life of me, determine what-stage of alcoholism'
Old 03-07-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did one of those questionnaires when I was active. Now looking back I can see that my AV was doing everything to prevent me from answering yes to any of the questions.

So my answers were all, maybe, or yeah but.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Question. Do people without an alcohol problem perform extensive analysis of alcohol questionnaires and post on recovery sites?

I have found normal drinkers never have to ask themselves if they have a problem.

If you have a problem stick around here. There is a lot of support and advice available here
Old 03-07-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Pats got the right idea. When you're drinking, and physically dependent on alcohol, anything that stands in the way of your consumption is seen as a negative.

So what if you are not in end stage alcoholism. What if you are at the beginning of middle stage alcoholism? Shouldn't your response be the same?
Old 03-07-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The only way a questionnaire could be formulated is with generalisations, something like injuring or breaking the law, a questionnaire is quite limited in terms of the context, the environment, the mindset behind the cause of those consequences!!

Though I've seen many of these questionnaires and if I now answer them, they all say I have a drink problem, so they must work to some degree.

To be honest if someone is that concerned about their drinking that they need to take a test then they probably do have a problem, there should be a footnote at the bottom of the final question with the small print "googling alcoholic tests is a red flag in itself"!!
Old 03-07-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kiki...this hits home for me. I am 46. I've kept a journal daily since I was 23. Stacks of notebooks and loose papers fill containers I've kept. There was no internet in 1992, so I spent lots time at the library researching areas of my life I wanted to improve. Fast forward to age 30. I found these 1992 notes...I was concerned about my alcohol intake. I had found one of those tests, and barely checked anything at that time at age 23. So the 30 yr old me took it again. I made it to stage 2. I put the test away again, found it at age 42. I could check off all (with a couple exceptions like no dwi,etc) ...all the way to the very beginning of stage 4.

Progression. Freaked me out.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Scaring myself about the reality of my alcoholism was actually helpful for me initially in sobriety to reinforce my commitment.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with the thinking that googling and taking these tests is a good indicator in itself. As far as DUIs and such, most normies I know wouldn't dream of driving drunk. Remember that it takes a fair amount of alcohol (or a liver that's in bad shape) to drink enough to blow a 0.08.

I now go by a simple criterion: do you drink more than you planned to on more than one occasion in the past month?

And, my experience has been that although previously stopping was relatively easy, this past time was incredibly hard and took major efforts and multiple resources to get me through it. I don't ever want to go through that again. So the reality is that it really doesn't matter to me if you call me an alcoholic or not. I simply can't and won't drink.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EndGame

Both the DSM-IV and the DSM-V are most widely used for arriving at a diagnosis.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...et/dsmfact.pdf
Old 03-07-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I scored a solid 9 on the DSM5 questions. And I'd still be drinking if I hadn't blown hot at work. Or something else didn't happen in the mean time.

I recall taking these "tests" in the past. And I had to really stretch my thinking to get in under the limits.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Perhaps this question should be added to all alcoholism questionnaires:

Have you ever been dismissive of an alcoholism questionnaire?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would say yes to your original question. As others have stated though you wouldn't be taking the quiz if you didn't think you might have a problem. At least voluntarily.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Probably, maybe they should.

I took my first few at 20 because of a DUI. I thought I might have an alcohol problem but was able to justify most of what I said yes to as being young. 8 years later I check yes to 98% if I am being fully honest about my entire history. They first few were indicators but I didn't adjust or change anything.