Notices

A newcomer question

Old 03-07-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful

Keeping track of my continuous sobriety time is something I do for myself, not others. If I were to take one drink and not start over I would be lying to myself (something I did often while drinking). Besides I know in my heart that if I took one drink today it would eventually lead me right back to where I was. My past history is proof of that. I've had what I would consider long term sobriety more than once and then took one drink. Each time it led to long term relapses. I don't remember for sure, but at the time I'm pretty sure I told myself the lie that it was only going to be one drink or one night of drinking, or an occasional drink, or only a couple of drinks a day.....

So for this alcoholic, my past experience has taught me that after "slipping" and taking one single drink there is no guarantee that I will ever see another sober day.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Littlebear, glad you're here - Welcome!

Those friends who touched on honesty in their posts are aligned with my thinking. While a slip should not make someone throw in the sober towel and beat themselves up, the event should provide some clarity into where they are in recovery.

We all try to keep truckin and I think daze in a row keep that honesty/focus for us. That said it's better to be sober 200 of 210 days and be at day one again than chuck it all. "I would not be too hard on oneself for this slip business......Sometimes it take others a little longer....." Bill W

Keep coming back!