Notices

Hi.. new here

Old 03-06-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi.. new here

I've been sober now for 12 days..I went through a community detox at home after drinking every day for 2 years. My drinking turned me into a vile person, lying, stealing,causing so much hurt to my family..I honestly don't know why my husband is still here! I would drink as soon as I got up and continue all day..BUT..I would deny it even though it was blatantly obvious to everybody..and then hide the evidence in increasingly bizzare places, which of course I then forgot about..it would be discovered and I would then either be too drunk to care or completely deny it was anything to do with me! Despite the fact I stunk of booze, couldn't walk in a straight line or string a sentence together I continued to feign absolute shock and horror if anyone even suggested I'd been drinking. My family honestly deserve a medal for putting up with my behaviour!
Anyway..the thing is..I really am proud of the last 12 days, I really didn't think I'd get through one day. However the problem is that basically I don't trust myself not to go and buy that drink in one of my weaker moments. It scares me. I analyse the situation over and over and I come to the conclusion that I don't know how I'm actually not doing it. I know that might not make sense but its the only way I can explain it. My husband keeps all the cash and cards at the moment, at my request, because I'm too frightened I'll just cave in. I know its early days but it does worry me..
Old 03-06-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR angel.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent! Congratulations Angel. Keep it up. It's gets easier over time.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Angel its nice to meet you congrats on day 12 your doing exellent

Let SR be there when your not feeling great you can always lean on SR

Have you got a sober plan bud ?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

12 days !!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thankyou..I think I need some coping strategies! I'm off sick from work ( long term) and due to some anxiety/panic issues that I've had for years l find it almost impossible to go out anywhere alone. So l probably have too much time on my hands and quite frankly I'm bored now I'm not falling into a coma every afternoon! I never knew that were so many hours to fill in a day..
Old 03-06-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi angel
welcome aboard

I had no confidence in my ability to remain sober either - but the people here really help. You can post or read here 24 hours a day - we'll get you through it.

You can do this - I know, because I did

D
Old 03-06-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and good for you.

I had a tendency to be too concerned with the what ifs of the future. I needed to concentrate on the NOW.

The now for me was/is not drinking one day at a time in a row by keeping occupied which included walks, meeting non drinking friend and family and I went to a lot of AA meetings to learn how to act and react without relying on alcohol. Sometimes the road is bumpy but the meetings gave me the answers I needed to stay sober.

Another great source of info to be practiced is on this site from many good participants.

BE WELL
Old 03-06-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days! Just focus on today and then tomorrow, rinse and repeat. You can do this and welcome to SR!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Greaty job!! PS if you're afraid that you woukld drink, antabuse/refusal is a good backup. It works for me i don't have to worry because i simply can't drink with the antabuse (i would get sick)
Old 03-06-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sprout50 View Post
Congrats on 12 days! Just focus on today and then tomorrow, rinse and repeat. You can do this and welcome to SR!
Rinse and repeat..can't get this out my head..it's my new mantra!!
Old 03-06-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Angel!!
Old 03-06-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Angel!