Notices

Campral Use

Old 03-05-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campral Use

Hi friends,

so I thought I would try getting sober a few months ago and that didn't work. Talked to my doctor and she prescribed Campral (or Acamprosate Calcium). I'm starting it today. Has anyone used it? It says to take 2 pills 3 times a day, but I'm starting at 1 pill, 3 times a day. I'm so nervous, I want it to work so badly.

Thanks for any info on this.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello...I tried taking Campral on two separate occasions and it made me feel a bit sluggish. I really found it a pain taking it three times a day and that was the main reason I stopped it both times. I didn't take out long enough to see any effects that it would have on my brain chemistry so I really can't say if its good or bad. Good luck with it!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't use Campral.

What have you tried in the past to get sober? There is lots of support here, so I do hope you continue to read and post.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I didn't use Campral.

What have you tried in the past to get sober? There is lots of support here, so I do hope you continue to read and post.
I used willpower (and SR) and that lasted 4 months last year. I'm terrified of AA so I don't know if that will work for me. I'm so tired of drinking but it's the highlight of my day.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Why are you terrified of AA? AAers are the nicest most non judgemental people you will ever meet. AA meetings are where I feel safest.

I was on Camprell for a few years and it never seemed to do anything but who knows because I stayed sober.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anna,
I was prescribed Campral after a stint in rehab. I took it for about 6 months. I did think it suppressed some urges for alcohol, but I also was working other recovery programs( which you are supposed to do on Campral). I can't say it was the Campral or not....at the point where I was, I was willing to do anything that would help. It takes about 2-3 weeks for the medication to become affective. It does not give instant relief. I did not experience any side affects....but I do remember it was expensive. It really did nothing for me in the long run....I don't think you can be on it very long before it loses effectiveness . Best wishes
Old 03-05-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Why are you terrified of AA? AAers are the nicest most non judgemental people you will ever meet. AA meetings are where I feel safest.

I was on Camprell for a few years and it never seemed to do anything but who knows because I stayed sober.
Because of self denial and then I'm admitting I really am an alcoholic.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by secretary View Post
Because of self denial and then I'm admitting I really am an alcoholic.
Question, how has not admitting that you are an alcoholic been working out for you?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Question, how has not admitting that you are an alcoholic been working out for you?
Great as long as I've been drinking. Not do great the next morning.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take it, not sure if it helps but I'm sober 47 days so far. No side effects for me, so no reason to quit it
Old 03-05-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Great as long as I've been drinking. Not do great the next morning.
You have just identified the heart of the problem and they are called consequences. Not every time I drank something bad happened but every time something bad happened I been drinking. As my drinking progressed the consequences became more and more severe
Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi friends, so I thought I would try getting sober a few months ago and that didn't work. Talked to my doctor and she prescribed Campral (or Acamprosate Calcium). I'm starting it today. Has anyone used it? It says to take 2 pills 3 times a day, but I'm starting at 1 pill, 3 times a day. I'm so nervous, I want it to work so badly. Thanks for any info on this.
Started using the Campril today and do not feel the eternal to drink or not. Nice calm evening.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi..I've been taking campral for a week and I genuinely think it helps! I was on 1 tablet 3 times a day but have increased to 2. It might be my imagination but I don't feel an actual craving.. although that doesn't stop me obsessing about it..just feel more rational when I do!! Hope you get on OK with it!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been taking campral for about 2 months (2 tabs 3x/day) and I think it helps a lot. During these 2 months, I haven't felt close to going to the liquor store. The thought still comes in at times, but I think the drug makes it easier to not act on it. I'm also involved in a partial hospitalization outpatient rehab, plus doing aa at night. I'm using all the tools available to me, and I actually feel quite stable right now. I'm lucky to be able to focus completely on recovery right now, but I know this doesn't last forever.
So I like campral a lot, but I suggest adding in anything else you have time for: aa, one-on-one therapy, group therapy, rehab.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by standard13 View Post
I've been taking campral for about 2 months (2 tabs 3x/day) and I think it helps a lot. During these 2 months, I haven't felt close to going to the liquor store. The thought still comes in at times, but I think the drug makes it easier to not act on it. I'm also involved in a partial hospitalization outpatient rehab, plus doing aa at night. I'm using all the tools available to me, and I actually feel quite stable right now. I'm lucky to be able to focus completely on recovery right now, but I know this doesn't last forever. So I like campral a lot, but I suggest adding in anything else you have time for: aa, one-on-one therapy, group therapy, rehab.
I have two nights sober now and I agree, I think the Campral is helping. Especially when I'm sitting next to hubby who is drinking whiskey. I love waking up in the morning with no feeling of anxiety or dread.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on your 2nd night sober i employ a no alcohol rule in my home secretary there is plenty of places for non alcoholics to drink

have you thought about this you are entitled to have an alcohol free home & partners should understand this its a shame many dont my wife would fight and injure if someone tried to bring alcohol in our home but i first let anyone know my home is alcohol free

i think having a alcohol free home is essential for any recovering alcoholics

you have our full support & congrats again bud
Old 03-07-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Secretary!! You can do this!!