Notices

Still Sober OR Cheating?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by me
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.
Carls post obviously touched a nerve but he makes a good point, I think?

I will never again underestimate addiction's capacity to try and draw me back in.

D
Old 03-06-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is definitely an individual thing. Some people drink NA beer with no problem whatsoever, others say they've gone back to the real thing after drinking them. As far as whether or not you're still sober if you ARE drinking them, scientifically speaking you'll have as much alcohol in your system drinking NA beer as you would if you were drinking OJ, 7up, or a whole bunch of other drinks and foods. The only reason the amount of alcohol is listed on an NA beer bottle is because the law requires it due to the fact that it's labeled non alcoholic. There is even less alcohol in some NA beers than in certain soft drinks (7up being one of them). To catch a buzz off of NA beer would be near impossible. You'd have to drink an awful lot in a very short period of time.

I drink them occasionally (average over the course of my sobriety 5-15 a year?) and they've never triggered any other urges in me. If they set off even the least bit of an obsession though, or I felt any NEED to have them in any situation, it would be a no go. I honor my red and yellow lights.

From all I've read on this subject, it's a slippery slope. If doing so, I urge you to do so cautiously. And if you find yourself buying it by the case - well, IMO, you might want to rethink it.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
So this friday I had planned to drink some non alcohol beers
Old 03-06-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Beer wasn't my poison but I wouldn't try N/A wine; way too risky; wouldn't want to wake the Beast for all the money in the world. Sobriety is my high.
FWIW, I tried N/A wine when pregnant, once. Husband bought it for me. It was horrible!! Wine is all about the fermentation process. It was just some sour juice. Really awful.

For those who love craft beers, any N/A beer I have tried, and again, tried a few when pregnant. Think really light beer. Like lighter than Bud Light. I did not like those either.

Wine was my drink of choice. There have been times, when i relapsed, and I had some beer, because I keep wine out of the house, but husband has beer. What has happened was that I had a couple of his beers, and it did not satisfy my craving at all. But it did awaken a stronger craving for the wine. Next night, I end up getting wine. One day slip of a few beers, becomes 3 nights of drinking over a weekend.

I would advise against going there, with anything that evokes that fondness for the alcoholic drink, if you truly want to remain sober.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
the majority of people on here seem to drink for the reason to get drunk but for me I actually like the taste of beer.
I liked the taste of beer as well because when I tasted it I knew before long I would be drunk.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

for me, one is too many, because there is no such thing as enough.