Notices

Hold On! Sober Weekender Thread March 6-8

Old 03-05-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mesa i love that picture

Whats everyone having for lunch dinner etc

im having mrs sw mums chicken casserole which im very grateful for the lady is a living legend in the kitchen i love her food
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

On the topic of breath-PTSD-*ring*ring*-anxiety-fear-etc...

There is a really good documentary about this on Netflix streaming right now. I've watched it a couple times:

"Free the Mind"
Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

welcome to all the newcomers to the bus... nons, I always thought you rode in the back with the troublemakers...

funny coincidence, I just got an email from my friend in NM, talking about going up to Creede in May, Heading over mountain to creede is when we got stuck on a fire road - "I know a shortcut." famous last words.
We talked about fishing the headwaters of the rio grande again. I was hoping to head out there soon for another two weeks trip. Since I'm married...

Stay single BigS, wait until you are 65 before you pull the plug on bachelor living. Even then, it's iffy.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Bimini! Congratulations! That's great!

HaF, I hate bronchitis. I hope you shake it soon. I havE an inhaler. Maybe your doctor could prescribe?

Oh, Non! That made me laugh. You could bring up the inevitable menu items of choice?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Behan, what great milestones. Sixty days and 100 posts. Way to hang in there. It's a new life and I was touched by what you wrote. Baby giraffe.

FaD, hang with us while your family's gone. That's a hard one but you can do it.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I have a big weekend this week going to Chicago for my daughters Cheer competition. This one is a really big one. She doesn't go on stage until 9pm on both nights. I cant control that but, coming back home we wont be home until 1-2am and the next day is school for my daughter.

Other then that its going to be awesome!!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I hate the weekend when we change over to Daylight Savings Time. They rip an hour out of our weekend! And then it becomes dark when I'm getting up--and stays light when I want to go to bed.

If they are going to make the change, they ought to do it during the day on a Monday. One less hour on a Monday will make EVERYONE happy!

And...no daylight is saved. The amount of time the sun is up doesn't have a thing to do with our stupid time change. Grrrr...
Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hopping aboard. 4 degrees now but springlike warmth is predicted starting tomorrow. Have to finish the last bit of kitchen destruction in preparation of new flooring installation beginning Monday, which means I'll lose the range and sink. Crockpot and microwave meals for the next three weeks. I will embrace the challenge! Anyone have good recipes?

Great to see everyone checking in. Behan and Bimini, congratulations on your milestones!

I thought sober weekends would be the biggest challenge after vacations, but turns out they're both great. I'm a lot more even tempered and energetic sober. Someday will have to get back into some kind of social life. Not missing it yet.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of time at the giraffe barn in August of 2013. When CJ was born, it was an event! His dad had died just after his conception, and the arrival of the calf was eagerly and nervously anticipated after a 15 month gestation. Apparently giraffe births in captivity often go badly, but this one didn't.

The day that Olivia went into labor, I spent six hours watching her go through the process. She had the baby just a few hours after the zoo closed - no one was in the barn except Mom. In this video, at the end you'll see another giraffe: that's the aunt, Tufani (sp?) She was so vigilant prior to the birth. His first steps were definitely a struggle. He is a trooper!

The calf is going to move on to another zoo to help keep biodiversity in the "herd" of captive animals. I wish him well, and it makes us sad. There is a new boy in town, Dave. He'll be the daddy of any new ones.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm in. I'm still sick, but feeling a bit better. I am going to join Jerri, Erratic and happyandfree in the sick section of the bus. I am having pork broccoli casserole for lunch.

Fandy-I am so sorry to hear about your cat. He sounds like he had a very long and wonderful life.

Bim-congrats on a year! That is awesome!!

Behan-Congrats on 60 days! Keep up the great work!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend, beautiful Friday morning here.
Travel light everyone.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Count me in.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Jen, have fun at the cheer competition. That should be a lot of fun. Lot's of driving though I imagine. Good luck to your daughter's team.

Bernie, I like three packet pot roast in the crock pot if you are a red meat eater. It's really simple. Packet each of powdered ranch dressing mix, Italian dressing mix and brown gravy mix. Mix in two cups of water. Pour over all and eight hours on low. Nice gravy. Mashed potatoes and salad.

Bimini, that must have been so cool. I like giraffes.

Lunch, SoberWolf asks? Almond butter on raisin bread, carrot sticks and coconut yogurt. Was supposed to be breakfast but didn't eat it.

Time to eat.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I'm in for the weekend! I'm having hot dogs, baked beans and coleslaw. Oh, and a couple of scoops of Cherry Garcia ice cream.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

In for the Weekend!!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Twal, a slaw dog sounds good!

I had fettuccine Alfredo.
  # 57 (permalink)  

Lunch? My daughter is getting me a lettuce-wrapped 6 dollar burger (comfort food).

I've got one more meeting to make it thru, then I'm taking a nap.

Bimini and Behan - Congrats on the milestones. Awesome!
  # 58 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
nons, I always thought you rode in the back with the troublemakers...
I represent this implication.

We are closing work early due to sleet. Fortunately I have another job I can go to!

Even if the weather is still not cooperating next weekend, I vote for a spring theme to the thread. Gardening or something.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Giraffes are my favorite animal. Bad roads? On my first trio to Costa Rica I was on an extremely steep dirt road. It was the first time I ever slid backward in a 4 wheel drive. So much fun and angst! and the snow... I love to plow, I really do, today must say I thought, " I used to love to plow drunk." Those days are over. Done.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

We have three places to eat here on my work campus. Two cafe types and one full on restaurant. They hand make each dish in front of you. So I had sauted lobster with shell pasta in a cream sauce with some other stuff he threw in. Little truffle oil and a toasted bread crumble on top. OH lordy! I am spoiled!

Nice light dinner tonight!