Notices

Hold On! Sober Weekender Thread March 6-8

Old 03-05-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

alls I can say is we're lucky all that rain yesterday was just rain or we'd have 2 feet already. we got 4" since this morning and it's a comin down. I attempted to get an early start clearing the driveway. But then figured, two of my neighbors have snow blowers. One is cool, the other is from a different planet. So there is only a 50/50 chance someone will clean my snow with their machine.

Ruby, we are supposed to set record low temp today. Down to 4 degrees. Record was 11 back in the 40's I think.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Woot woot. I'm aboard.

I am very ready for Spring too although the winter hadn't been to terrible here in north GA. But still hate cold. We had a tease if Spring yesterday with the temp in the high 60's. Only a couple more weeks and it WILL be warmer. Which brings me to my next topic, weight loss! I "feel" thinner since stopping drinking 11 days ago. But I don't look thinner and my clothes are still snug. Saturday is supposed to be high 50's with abundant sunshine, and I'll be outside selling pine straw with my step son for scouts, so hopefully I'll get done exercise and sun! I've been planning on walking/running after work but with the cold and early dark nights, the motivation vanishes!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We be headed to the Crossroads in a few hours: Interstate 70 and the Female Bladder-mandated 'Pit Stop' at the top of Vail Pass! So, this Song Version - just a lil different than the Robert Johnson Song covered by 'Cream' - popped into my Head.

As seen below, we got some Snow. Nuffin' like in the Mountain Ranges around us. 4' of Snow. Blizzards. Roads closed. Sun and clear Weather today finally permit travel cross-State to prep the City House for sale. Movers take over on 18 March. Good times ahead!

Linked below is a view of Red Mountain Pass in the S.W. part of the State. Crews launch Mortars from Truck Beds to trigger Avalanche 'Chute' build-up, and release Snow Pack that then buries the closed Road. Front End Loaders push it away. There's been something like 15 deaths on this stretch of Road, including Snow Plow Operators swept over the side. The area is called 'Little Switzerland', because the peaked Mountains are relatively 'new' in Geologic Time.

All we gotta do, in comparison to Geologic Time, is stay Sober this Weekend! Party On, Garth!

Red Mountain Pass Colorado Webcam

'Crossroads' ~ Cyndi Lauper & Jonny Lang

-----
Old 03-05-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hello fellow weekenders.

I'm nursing a cold, so I'll scoot on to the back of the bus with my box of Kleenex.

What a beautiful picture of the mountains, MesaMan. Makes my nose freeze up just looking at it.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am in too. No idea how it goes...but giving it a try...so...currently climbing on board with all my baggage...
Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

I'm there with a bag of sweeties in hand and a sick bag u can have the sweets but the sick bag is mine! If wondering I have motion sickness and vertigo just now. All in with u lot though xx
Old 03-05-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

wow Mesa, I recall some years back when we was on a fishing excursion heading to silverton from durango in May and having a LOT of snow on million dollar.
We also got stuck in 4' of snow when we crossed over to the north side of the mountain trying to save a few hours drive time. the road looked okay... ended up costing us about 8 hours instead of 3 by taking the shortcut over the mountain. Lucky some day hikers happened by to help. we was in deep. first time I ever saw wild horses, on that trip.

Already 5 inches of snow have fallen in the past 3 hours. Supposed to snow till 7P or later.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Good afternoon weasel, I am on board
Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Littlebear,

Welcome to the Weekender bus! This bus kept me sane and occupied every weekend for a good oh, 6months or more. It is amazing what a person can learn from everyone here.

All of your baggage is just fine. Soberwolf is on the roof and will keep an eye out lest it blow a way...would flying baggage be such a bad thing? I'm sure your load will lighten with each weekend.

Nice to see everyone. I have not been around for some time but need to this weekend for sure and appreciate everyone here. Today I will get a deep tissue massage to get some of that angst moving through and out.

Take it easy everyone!

Fandy...I too am sorry to hear about this week for you and your beloved cat.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Good to have you along littlebear ,

Shout up if you're having trouble , we started this thing to try and help get through those tough bits at the weekend. Everyone is welcome .

Also it's to help inspire people as to what to do with their weekends now they are sober, and as a general check in and show up even if you don't want to talk recovery.

If you're having major stuff going down then it's sometimes best to put a thread up in the newcomers section as cries for help can get missed and not seen if "tucked away" in a thread by those people who probably get bored of all of us just chatting about muddling through till monday

*ring_ring* m
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm on board. Got cross country skiing lined up for Saturday. I love winter, so I'm not looking forward to spring from that perspective, but I also love baseball and the Mets might actually be good this season!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Weasel, the *Ring*Ring* thing (from Mecanix?) has been really helpful to me in the last year. Thanks for starting the thread with it this morning. I tend to hold my breath, always have - and several years ago I really started to deal with this. When I find myself stressed, I can almost always relax with a few deep breaths and some shoulder exercises. In my case it's hypervigilence due to PTSD - but it's getting so much better, and the *Ring*Ring* is a great trick for me.

Mesa, who knew I would enjoy a Johnny Lang/Cindi Lauper song ? I have always liked JL. Blues guitar is right in my wheelhouse. That was a good one.

BigS. You need a maid. I need a job. I suggest myself. I would love to move to somewhere as naturally beautiful as your location. Do you have the story of how it happened somewhere easy to find? I'd love to read about your transition and how it came about.

The weather has been nice here. I'll just move along now so as not to anger the thread.

It's my one year. Now I need to get my life moving!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wow, would enjoy having a view like that from my patio! Great pics bigsombrero and MesaMan.

My family will be out of town starting tomorrow for a spring break getaway. I'm not feeling tempted at the moment, but not long ago the time to myself would have been considered a HUGE drinking opportunity with no one to hide from. So just to be safe, I'm along for the ride with you guys and looking forward to it!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey BiM! Glad to have you with us!

Yes! I just sent a note to Mex to say the same thing. I read his Ring Ring often and it helped me this morning so I included it.

Mex and I started the thread together way way back and while he has been shy to host I include that every now and then to be sure it lives with the thread.

Thanks M!!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend. ..can't wait.
Fandy....I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. It must have been so hard for you. But it sounds like she had 20 good years.
Ruby...hang on, spring will b e here soon. I can understand your frustration. .it must be unbearable.
Well...I have a cold or something. Or a relapse from the bronchitis that I had 2 weeks ago. I'm bummed but trying to ignore it. If it doesn't get any worse I can ride it out with out missing any work. Hopefully it
will just go away!
Well...I'd better start getting ready for work. See you all later.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

It's my one year. Now I need to get my life moving!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Shotg....!

Wait. WTF? Page 2?

Oh well, looks like some friendly buggers in the back of this bus. I AM IN!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wow, sounds so positive! Thanks Melki and BigS. BigS the green is gorgeous! Nice to see some. I looked at the upcoming weather and it's supposed to get into the fifties. How great.

Brain, rain is preferable to me. I have a goofy neighbor with a snowblower which I half own. He stores it. Saw me shoveling the snow after the last storm and said nothing. The rain will wash away the gray hopefully.

Jillian, good job on eleven days! That's great.
MesaMan, safe travels. Sound harrowing.
Jerri, feel better soon. Chicken soup?
Welcome little bear! Hang with us.
Verte, jealous of the massage. How yummy.
Mec, you said you were going to stay close to home for the phone calls. Can you forward your home phone to your cell? My dad does it for his business.
NYMets, have fun cross country skiing. I was thinking of my skis today.

I'm going to be menu planning. I was asked to host coffee hour after church service this Sunday. Hmm. Simple. Easy. Last gasp of a congregation headed for disbanding. Too few people in a massive building.

Must focus in work. Talk to you all later
Old 03-05-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey all fellow weekenders!!

Glad to be on board and thanks for getting this thread going again K!

This is my 100th post on SR. Today, I am also officially 60 days sober! I never imagined making it to 60 days. I never would have imagined making it past a week. A lot of my predictions of what living without alcohol would be like have not turned out to be true. I have discovered a few unexpected challenges instead: how my brain is subtly adapting without it's regular dose of toxic-stimulant-depressant; aspects of my personality previously either numbed or exaggerated by alcohol; and the extent to which I am detached from the social world - for me so far, intoxication and sobriety have exacerbated.

I think I am still in the very early days of discovering my sober legs - I imagine I look like a baby giraffe tentatively taking his first steps.

My anxiety-chronic worry levels are through the roof of late so my main focus now is trying to move past them without self-destructive intoxication.

All my best,

B
Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congratulations binimiblue!!!!!!