Notices

Hold On! Sober Weekender Thread March 6-8

Old 03-07-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Love it!!! My daughter collects elephants. She would be ecstatic over your find!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Olives,
5 bananas - 7 days
???
Cut 3 in half, cut 2 in thirds.
Put 6 halves with 6 thirds,
That’s almost 6 whole bananas. You need to cut back anyway.
Call in sick on Friday. Go to market and get more bananas on Friday.
I’m here to help.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Feel better Erratic... and yes staying sober today IS something.

Love the shirt Phoenix!!

Great!! LB found his sharp object... what happens next? lets watch!

(and between just the thread and I... LB has a lot more energy as a non-smoker)

Nice chuck round cubed for my chili browning... lots of yellow and red peppers.. I like a sweet chili. Like corn in it as well.

I have a friend I have not seen in years over later. He is 16 months sober. We used to do a lot of drugs together. He lost 80lbs and is doing well. He can be a boring talker... and that was high! So I will have some fresh garlic roasting when he arrives. Gives me something to do as we chat. Mix it with fresh grated parm, olive oil and Italian herbs to make a paste for the ciabatta bread from the bakery.

Entertaining is the art of keeping people occupied. In this case... me!

Love the Elephant!

wow Jerri... 18... the big one! I see young people and think I could be their parent... then I find out they are 30 and... well... I can still be their parent!!! Yikes!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

No urge to drink last night (Friday) at all. I'm trying to stick to this low carb/low sugar diet and it's making my @ss drag.

Going to a party tonight. I will have no problem resisting booze. I don't like to drink when I'm out anyway.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Have fun at the party JD. BTW... did not see the answer to what was in your avatar? Did I miss that?
Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

It's saturday night. I'm sober.

Yet I am laughing hysterically about bananas!

I never thought I'd see the day.

B
Old 03-07-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

The Hindu Festival this Weekend means we need Hindi Rap! Order some Take Away Curry! Crank up the Boom Box! Time's a wastin'...

'Ganesh Is Fresh' ~ MC Yogi

From the Film 'Slumdog Millionaire' comes this ending bit; shot in a closed Train Station in the middle of the night. Germane to our challenges here, 'Jai Ho' means 'Let there be Victory'. It's a handy Phrase I've used at the end of tortuous Telecons with Tech Support when purportedly speaking with 'Timothy' or 'Ralph'. *Guffaw*

'Jai Ho' ~ Slumdog Millionaire

-----
Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Olive -having been to a Hindu festival today I now now that the 3 shaped symbol on the elephants head is an OM sign. I reckon that's a good thing

Welcome VikingGF nice to meet you

My AV is kicking a bit this evening. Fortunately I am sceduled to phone my aunty Avril from 'up nort' (Durham). She really nice but can talk for England so it should be bedtime y the time I hang up.

Congratulations Behan and PurpleKnight for the win against Zimbabwe
Old 03-07-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Thanks Saoutchik. I hope you're AV settles down.

B
Old 03-07-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

I had to trouble yesterday since it was late, very late by the time I got home from my kids hockey games. Tough today, but I'll be reading and checking in here on my phone. I'm just tired. Going to lay down for a bit. Good news is we have puddles! Sun is out, balmy 39F. Finally! Looking forward to a long, ice free jog tomorrow morning. I will not drink tonight!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Brain, you are brilliant!!

And while Brains banana division skills are to be admired, I apparently did really need a leather elephant coin bank today. So, since the store was so nearby I bought another bunch of bananas. Now I have ten bananas.

Ruby said something about chocolate banana bread......
Old 03-07-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Have fun at the party JD. BTW... did not see the answer to what was in your avatar? Did I miss that?
Hahaha! I'd forgotten that I'd even asked.

It's the intake runners from a 1961 Dodge D500 V8 engine. There were two 4-barrel carburetors that sat at the ends of long "ram tubes", which forced the air fuel mixture from the carburetors into the engine via resonance. As a result, the engine delivered a tremendous wallop of torque for acceleration and passing. kind of a "poor man's supercharger", but it worked well. The picture below is of the same setup in a 1963 Chrysler 300J.

http://www.allpar.com/model/d500.html
Old 03-07-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Am thinking of becoming Hindu i have been thinking about it for a while now
i seem to go back and forwards between faith
but i feel that a God of my understanding would want me to learn about Hinduism and other faiths , this means i have a to be veggie i have been veggie before but went back to eating meat again
but i have been feeling guilty about eating meat saying that i had a stake pie an hour ago and felt so guilty i should know better

my weekend has been good just relaxing with my husband he on his games and am sitting online listening to bollywood /Bhangra songs
Old 03-07-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Not all Hindus are vegetarians, Phoenix.

My daughter was adopted from India and I learned a whole lot about Hinduism and other aspects of Indian culture over the years. Actually, Indian culture is a misnomer--there are a whole host of cultures on the subcontinent. Each state of India is almost equivalent to different countries in Europe--distinct ethnically, linguistically, and even different "sects" of Hinduism from each other.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Dang. I erased what I had written. Chocolate banana bread done. Zucchini muffins done. Baking for church coffee hour.
Internet guy here. Will be for a while but I am going out. NY mom called to ask if kids wanted to go to dinner and oh, I can go too Chinese restaurant. Since my sister in law is going I'm guessing they have good food. A treat And break for me today.. I did all I said I'd do this morning except for the birthday present. That can be tomorrow. Husband not going. He can watch internet guy.

Thanks everyone. Bernie, we'll figure it out. Or they will. Or both. Wasn't so shocked since it was payday for husband. But he somehow "lost" all his money after cashing the check. I was born yesterday, right? Do you have a bridge to sell me?

I hope the internet is up when I get home. I miss my iPad. I can see what I'm typing. I feel like I've missed out on this thread typing on my tiny phone screen.

Welcome to thread VikingGF. Every week. Thursday and earlier and earlier lately.

Weas!!! That garlic spread sounds divine. Yum. I have to get presentable for going out. Later! Everyone thanks. Saoutchik, Behan and I know more but my brain is going. Speaking of, maybe Bernie can give her dishwasher to brain until he gets a replacement.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Oh man reading about all the food you guys make/eat is making me drool! So hungry

10am Sunday here and day three of this music art and culture festival, first sober 'event' and lots of beer and weed around, but not caving I didn't realise how many people actually don't drink, I've bumped into quite a few old friends and so far only one has been drinking. Crazy!!
Old 03-07-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Back to bananas, are we?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

To be serious, someone played some Journey earlier. Before they went pop, they made a recording that really describes this place.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Yes, reading about the food is making me hungry too.i had a busy day and now intend to rest til Monday. I don't even feel like cooking, which is rare, so hopefully I can find something to eat. I will not starve..there is always peanut butter and jelly. I'm still fighting off the bronchitis, which is ridiculous. Maybe I had a Relapse or a secondary cold. Still coughing.
OK-i don't mean to complain because I'm really very content on this wonderful sober Saturday night. There is nothing that I have to do and I can watch a movie and relax. Life is good. It's good because I'm not drinking tonight.
I guess I missed something about cutting up bananas....it's hard to keep up.
Ruby...I'm sorry to hear about your continuing saga, but am happy to hear that you are staying strong. Maybe I'll make banana bread tomorrow.
Everyone sounds good. ..sounds like everyone is hanging in there. .
Time to watch a movie...mockingjay...
see you all later.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Do your best

I checked out that fried chicken recipe and had it today thanks trachs