Notices

Red Nose and Face

Old 03-04-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Red Nose and Face

Does the red nose and face go away after being sober for awhile? I'm only on Day 10 and I was examining my face in the mirror today and not really liking what I see. Nose is red with little veins, also on my cheeks. I seem to be breaking out too (wonderful). I do think my face is less puffy though. And my skin is so dry. I am trying to stay hydrated but maybe I'm not drinking enough water/fluids?

Is there hope that the redness will at least diminish? There's only so much BB cream that can be slathered on.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 4 so I have no idea. My eyes lost the puffiness today so that was nice.

Hopefully as we heal from the inside out the flush will go away. It can't get worse!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yes, it will get much better but it takes time. I noticed the puffiness went away after the first week but the redness took a while longer, for me around 2 months but everyone is different. I too started to break out but that is finally subsiding around month 4. I don't know what thats about except possibly your body ridding toxins and hormones balancing themselves out again.

oh and for the dry skin which I had too, drinking lots of water is good and I also put a little coconut oil on my face before bed. Keep it up!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're still early in recovery so give yourself more time to get back to normal. If it isn't better in a few months, then see your doctor.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Took about 3 months for mine to lose its cherry glow.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took about a month for my skin to be a normal colour, and now a few weeks after that my skin is clear and my eyes are much brighter. Give it time and water helps
Old 03-04-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

My face really improved in sobriety but i didnt have what you speak but im sure itl improve with time and if not speak with a Dr
Old 03-04-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep sober and you will be smarter, healthier, fitter, and all around 20% more sexy. Lol

It does get better. Everything. Congrats!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It will take a little bit but you will be pleasantly surprised. Give it a couple of months and you will be able to really tell.

This was one of my main incentives... Vain, I know, but whatever works.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by immri View Post
It took about a month for my skin to be a normal colour, and now a few weeks after that my skin is clear and my eyes are much brighter. Give it time and water helps
The whites of the eyes get white again thank god. That was one of the most horrifying things when looking in the mirror. They were a drab gray/red.

My red face is gone at 8 months.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'll second what Melinda & Immri said about the eyes. Mine were red and sort of sulfur yellow for about three weeks. Puffyness went before then.

Still got the red nose (sober 63 days)

Quite handy really as its Red Nose day soon
Old 03-04-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Day 7 and my color has gone from beet purple to a sort of fuji apple pink lol but seriously. Also, my face in general seems to be less puffy. Makes me want to keep going!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wink Thanks for sharing!

I was wondering the same thing. I started a decrease in the amount of drinks last week without anyone knowing and two people said my skin looked great in a few days. It gave me confidence and made me smile. I do drink a lot of water and have increased it even if I have to get up in the middle of the night. I have put Vitamin k cream on at the same time on my nose and under my eyes. Some of the dark circles have gone away and the lines are definitely gone. Not sure if the Vitamin K works, but it was noticed.

Started out working more than usual also.

Any help for the small veins?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Calicofish. I had 'gin blossoms' too - quite badly. Also the dry, pale skin & puffy eyes. Everything got better or went away completely. I think it was at around a month sober I noticed a huge improvement.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes it gets better, but it takes longer than you would think. That was my experience anyway. But you will be SO happy with your skin when it happens!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The red patches I was starting to get went away after 3-6 months, as did the dry skin and most of my allergies. Seriously.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I didn't have much in the way of redness but I did have spots up my nose which went within a couple of weeks (thank goodness as they were horrible!)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I noticed my eyes are white again. After being bloodshot and red for so long. My face returning to it's normal colour after about 1 week.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

I sure hope it gets better. "Gin Blossoms, eh" and my nose would be olive with the bight red pimento!

After a month of texting and phonecalls with a guy met online, I am finally meeting him in person today and I'm all bummed out because my face was broken out....why now? Sheesh. I'm also very nervous. I hope the restaurant we are meeting at is not flooded with horrible florescent lights. I should have requested a dark cave ;-) It's a lunch date though - maybe caves are not the best spot for a lunch date.

I'm glad to read there is hope that my skin will improve. I know that sounds vane but I hate the veins (bad pun).

Hope everyone woke up to a great sober morning.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My face is much less bloated. At several months sober and still eating a tonne of ice cream someone asked me if I'd had work done

Sadly I still have small veins across my nose that could just be age or sunbed use when younger. Or even genetic as my sister has them and she never drinks.

Whichever way it shows itself in you you will look and feel so much better sober than drinking