SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What was the moment (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/361131-what-moment.html)

twal 03-04-2015 08:52 AM

What was the moment

you knew that your drinking needed to stop? For me, it was hallucinating and seeing things that weren't there. I was drinking heavily every single day and began to see different colors and shapes before I passed out.

On one occasion, I began hallucinating and saw college mascots from different schools. It was so freaky because it was like they were real! That's when I knew that drinking was not an option anymore and it was literally poisoning my brain and making me crazy.

What moment made you realize that drinking wasn't an option anymore?

Jillian2563 03-04-2015 09:04 AM

I think it was many things. But one sticks out from very recently. We went on a weekend trip to go snowboarding. The night we got up there I was waged from drinking ALL day on the way up. My family wanted to your the ski resort. We got there and I didn't want to get out, just wanted to sit in the car and drink some more. From the outside, I could hear my kids through the glass "she never wants to do anything unless there is beer involved". That broke my heart although I didn't really "get it" until three days later. Now I'm on day 10 and determined to not let alcohol rule and ruin my life.

Wholesome 03-04-2015 09:13 AM

I knew I had to quit for years.... every morning I would promise myself that I wouldn't drink that day and by the afternoon I'd be drinking.

biminiblue 03-04-2015 09:31 AM

I think it was more a culmination of many moments, added together making a very sad overall picture.

I couldn't form a happy thought at all. I really had given up. In desperation I cried out, "Help me."

Something happened in *that* moment that I will never forget. I didn't pick up a drink again.

JD4010 03-04-2015 09:35 AM

My innards are a real mess. I should have quit years ago. Even a constant pain in my gut didn't stop me.

At work, I was barely functional. Couldn't write a full sentence to save my life. I'd sink like a stone during meetings.

I can't go back to that. It's only been 9 days, but it has to be over.

newpage119 03-04-2015 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by zenchaser (Post 5239037)
I knew I had to quit for years.... every morning I would promise myself that I wouldn't drink that day and by the afternoon I'd be drinking.

Ha! I did that too....only I was "specialized"....it had to be MONDAY morning to quit....My AV would only accept that...So every Monday morning I was going to quit, and if we failed Monday evening, like ALWAYS, well that was too late...
The week was shot, might as well drink!

Nice logic??? :c004:

immri 03-04-2015 04:49 PM

I got out of hospital for withdrawal and bought a cask of wine on my way home, drank most of it on the floor in my room alone, proceeded to be violently sick and have diarrhea for the next 24 hours
I did this after truly believing Id be ok after getting out of hospital and never wanted to drink again, yet still bought booze and drank even though it wasn't enjoyable at all

mns1 03-04-2015 05:22 PM

When I came to terms with the fact that as long as I continued to drink I would never reach my full potential. It took the person I am meant to be and impisoned him deep in the pit of my soul and left me a zombie to the outside world. I could no longer stand for that.

least 03-04-2015 05:32 PM

It wasn't just one moment, it was all the moments when I woke up hating myself and feeling like death warmed over. :( It took me too long to quit but I'm glad I finally did it. :)

ArcticSA 03-04-2015 05:49 PM

Blood in my drinking induced vomit.

OnMyWay7 03-04-2015 08:34 PM

It grew over years. Years of knowing I wasn't living or experiencing life as much as I could. Knowing I wasn't really engaged with my kids and didn't like my life.

Then the final straw was getting turned down for life insurance because of elevated liver enzymes.

kittycat3 03-04-2015 08:34 PM

I also had a bunch of moments. But most recently, I had a panic attack while sitting on a train hungover on my way into work. Dizzy, sweating, lost my vision for a bit. I recovered but scared myself real good. I've never had a panic attack from booze. That was almost 30 days ago and I never want to feel that way again!

GnikNus 03-04-2015 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by kittycat3 (Post 5240371)
I also had a bunch of moments. But most recently, I had a panic attack while sitting on a train hungover on my way into work. Dizzy, sweating, lost my vision for a bit. I recovered but scared myself real good. I've never had a panic attack from booze. That was almost 30 days ago and I never want to feel that way again!

Panic attacks are what scared me into quitting ( along with other health fears about drinking). I was tired of living with them. What a terrible feeling.

courage2 03-04-2015 09:34 PM

I think it was when I called a depression hotline and they hung up on me because I was drunk.

needtostopthis 03-04-2015 11:09 PM

Well I have a lot of moments but a big one for me was when my sons teacher came up to me after school and wanted to talk to me about my sons behavior and all I could think was, "oh my gosh I hope I don't smell like vodka?" I had drank a lot the night before and was kind of hungover. That is when I thought to myself, "what is wrong with you?" I was putting alcohol above my son, my precious son.

needtostopthis 03-04-2015 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by GnikNus (Post 5240410)
Panic attacks are what scared me into quitting ( along with other health fears about drinking). I was tired of living with them. What a terrible feeling.

This is another reason why I am trying to stay sober, anxiety and panic. I would get such bad anxiety and panic attacks after a night of heavy drinking. My therapist told me my drinking was only making my anxiety worse, i already knew this but i needed someone else to tell me that, someone that was considered an expert.

Kevin78 03-04-2015 11:35 PM

I have known for at least 12 years or so. I managed 2+years sobriety before. My latest relapse of 5 years has recently taken it's toll. I was and still could be on the verge of losing my Family and my home. I had tried numerous times over the past 5 years to control my drinking. This did not work. I took the step of going back to AA last week. I know for me AA is the only answer, And if I keep going back I will be ok. If I stay sober, I can climb out of the financial mess within 12 months. I just need to keep it simple.

11 days sober.