SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New to recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/361111-new-recovery.html)

Top 03-04-2015 02:26 AM

New to recovery

Hi I'm new to recovery, today is my first day sober from alcohol, I have found this web site really useful and inspiring. I have been an alcoholic most of my life, today I have decided enough is enough, I want to take back control of my life. Do the cravings ever go away? Any advice is welcome, need to ring my GP and have a shower, hope in 30 days time I am still sober. Does any one go AA, does it help?

Nonsensical 03-04-2015 02:32 AM

Welcome to SR. Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life!

YES! The cravings eventually go away. It varies from person to person, but most of us get some good relief from them in about 90 days. Just have to stay resolved and find distractions until it happens.

Best of Luck on Your Journey! :ring

aldo1981 03-04-2015 02:34 AM

Welcome Top

You are making the best decision of your life today and yes AA will help you. In the early stages of giving up I wish I had gone sooner as it has helped me massively.

You will get a lot of support here and good advice so you are not alone every thing you think and experience at some point we have to so keep posting your thoughts and feelings

Welcome to the group, if you have any questions about the AA meetings give me a message I am new to it also but have had a few months there and found them great

GracieLou 03-04-2015 02:34 AM

Welcome to SR!

Take it one day at a time.

I attend AA meetings and work the AA program. I will be sober almost two years in a couple weeks. Go to a meeting. What's the worse that can happen?

Take it slow, get information and above all else, don't drink today.

Soberwolf 03-04-2015 02:40 AM

Hi Top welcome its really nice to meet you i think aa mtns really help for me its starts with acceptance knowing how bad things get when i used to drink each & every time accepting that i cant drink safely or responsibly has saved my life for almost 20 months

try to not drink just for today, try not to drink for 24h and then you can manage another 24h rather than the daunting aspect of not drinking for 30 days

i think seeing your GP is a fantastic idea be honest speak clear and ask for help with W/D

Going to aa will help strengthen your sobriety and interacting here will really help the staff here are fantastic

Dee74 03-04-2015 02:46 AM

Hi Top -

SR helped me turn my life around...I know we can help you too :)
Welcome :)

D

carlingford 03-04-2015 02:53 AM

Hi Top Welcome to SR, yes you can:) I am 63 days today and a new man, feeling good, keep out of temptations way if possible and get to AA, one day at a time, try change routine also. Top of I can do it anyone can,,, get to see Doc too, well done and good luck :)

LBrain 03-04-2015 03:36 AM

welcome to the forum Top.

usually around 90 days you feel different, more or less, that is why you here the recommended 90 meetings in 90 days from different sources.
once you get past 90 days it gets much easier. but it's never over

sprout50 03-04-2015 04:07 AM

Welcome to SR! Yes, the cravings to go away after a while. For now, just work on one day at a time.

BernieE 03-04-2015 04:13 AM

Welcome, Top! AA helps many. Some of us use SR only. You will find what works for you, keep an open mind and do this one day at a time.

HeartsAfire 03-04-2015 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5238448)
Hi Top -

SR helped me turn my life around...I know we can help you too :)
Welcome :)

D

Same here. ^

Welcome to the best decision you ever made!

Ruby2 03-04-2015 05:11 AM

Hi Top and welcome to SR. I combine SR and AA to help support me. Understanding support is one of the most important things I have to stay sober. Cravings do subside but sometimes come at odd or awkward moments. They are manageable now and usually come when I'm hungry, angry, lonely or tired so rememember the acronym HALT. Take care of those first and chances are the cravings pass pretty quickly.

Good decision to give up the drink. Good to meet you.

IOAA2 03-04-2015 05:27 AM

Hi and welcome.
My expectations when I first stopped drinking were far from accurate, life continued with or without me and I needed to learn methods of coping with good as well as bad emotional situations without escape to the alcohol fix I’d used for so long.
Many things we look for when getting sober take time to achieve because of the results of so much time we consumed alcohol which is not the health fluid we thought it be. It has damaged a lot of our system and we need time to repair back to health.

Hang in there as it’s well worth it!

BE WELL

Treerat66 03-04-2015 06:20 AM

Hi Top, welcome to SR.

twal 03-04-2015 06:36 AM

Hey Top....welcome and congratulations with wanting to take control back with your life! For me, I was out of control with my drinking and I'm starting to feel a bit bit better from sobriety. It may take some time to get better, but its definitely worth it!:c033:

PurpleKnight 03-04-2015 08:58 AM

Welcome to the Forum Top!! :wave:

Dean1978 03-04-2015 09:01 AM

Welcome to SR. Remember :You_Rock_