Notices

The first step

Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post The first step

Hello everyone This is the beginning of my road to recovery. Im in desperate need of a support system to help me get&stay sober seeing how my friends-and i use that term loosely- /family are not in the same mindset as me. Ideally Id like to develop new,healthy sober friendships to get me started & keep me on the right path. Looking forward to having like-minded ppl to share experiences,old&new,with so as to not feel so alone in my journey.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a newcomer too, and I understand what you mean about feeling alone. Even people who love you can't understand if they aren't abusing alcohol. Since I'm out in the middle of nowhere, online support is something I'm grateful for.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WELCOME! you are in the right place! We understand what it's like! You will find lots of support and encouragement here.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnnmariaa View Post
Hello everyone This is the beginning of my road to recovery. Im in desperate need of a support system to help me get&stay sober seeing how my friends-and i use that term loosely- /family are not in the same mindset as me. Ideally Id like to develop new,healthy sober friendships to get me started & keep me on the right path. Looking forward to having like-minded ppl to share experiences,old&new,with so as to not feel so alone in my journey.

Hi and welcome.
What you are looking for is readily available, face to face at AA meetings which have helped millions get and stay sober. It’s great to be among people who understand us and have a strong desire to help. Many times walking into a meeting the first time people get a feeling “I home.”
This site has similar advantages but we can isolate which is not good for an alcoholic, I’ve been on this site for a couple years and have yet to meet one person here. There are some great people with excellent sobriety and suggestions to get and stay sober. I’d miss the eye contact and hearing the emotional pain involved in hearing a newcomer for my remember when.

BE WELL
Old 03-03-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome to the family!!

There are multiple options to you to complement your support on SR, you can check out the Secular section if a non 12 approach can benefit you.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As others have said on this site, the most important person in your recovery is you. All your social relationships etc...will develop over time. Forget the past, focus on yourself. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, dawnnmariaa, to SR.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dawnnmariaa!!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Although there are all sorts of benefits to AA one of the biggies for me are the very deep friendships I've developed. I know 50+ people I could call at 3 AM and say I need to see you and they would be there with no questions asked. Just as important if any of them called me I would be there

There are few people in the world that can say they have this type of relationship with that number of people.

Start going to meetings and in no time you will have your own network.

AA is a wonderful thing.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome its nice to meet you
Old 03-03-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome dawnnmariaa

D