Notices

Help me sober people.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me sober people.

Each week I inch closer to realizing I need to give up alcohol. No cutting back, no controlling it, just eliminate it. I didn't drink yesterday and won't drink this week. That's my routine. But as you may know, Friday and Saturday are game on. It's only affecting my health at this point. I don't drive or fight or even go to the bars. But alcohol is holding me back.

The way I feel right now is the way I want to live my life. Clear headed, decent appetite and looking forward to a workout. Friday Saturday and Sunday of each week is a complete waste. The way I see it, that is about 40% of my life being thrown away. I probably have 20 years left on this planet, I want to live them, not "deal" with them.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Everyone here on SR wants to see you succeed at sobriety, and will do what we can. But what can we do? Ultimately, come Friday, Saturday, Sunday, your success is up to you.

What could you have done to stay sober last weekend? And what will you do different this Friday to ensure you stay sober?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I threw away a large part of my life. I hate to even think about it, but the memories help keep me sober.
Can you keep yourself bust during the weekends? Doing something constructive?
As my drinking progressed it didn't matter the day of the week. Or time of day, for that matter.
AA meetings might be a good idea, if you are so inclined.
Best to you. Take it one day at a time and let your sobriety during the week carry over to the weekend.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Everyone here on SR wants to see you succeed at sobriety, and will do what we can. But what can we do? Ultimately, come Friday, Saturday, Sunday, your success is up to you.

What could you have done to stay sober last weekend? And what will you do different this Friday to ensure you stay sober?
I will start by not going to the liquor store, try and plan some activities and lastly just exercise some damn discipline. I can usually accomplish things I put my mind to, and drinking is one of them. I need to change it to not drinking being one of them.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I will start by not going to the liquor store, try and plan some activities and lastly just exercise some damn discipline. I can usually accomplish things I put my mind to, and drinking is one of them. I need to change it to not drinking being one of them.
Now we're are talking, specially the damn discipline part. It comes down to resisting the urge. One urge at a time. There is no magic secret to sobriety, you need to set your mind on it and not change it. If you leave the door open as an option, you will drink again.

Close that door for good and start living
Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

^^^^ This.

You don't drink, Thomas. Period.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thomas, if Friday, Saturday and Sunday are problem days, then you can plan. You can do something totally different on those days. Whatever your normal weekend routine is, you can change it. Spend time with sober friends, go to a concert or a movie, go to the gym, whatever works for you. You can do this!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

we have a meeting in the chat room on fridays at 9 pm (new york time)
Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I threw away a large part of my life. I hate to even think about it, but the memories help keep me sober.
Can you keep yourself bust during the weekends? Doing something constructive?
As my drinking progressed it didn't matter the day of the week. Or time of day, for that matter.
AA meetings might be a good idea, if you are so inclined.
Best to you. Take it one day at a time and let your sobriety during the week carry over to the weekend.
The weird thing is in my situation is that my alcohol consumption has improved over the years, not gotten worse. I used to drink daily, went on a bad bender a year ago, now its just weekends (2 days) but I want to eliminate that as well. And its not easy because I think I deserve a couple days to myself. Well, I need to quit thinking that way.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Now we're are talking, specially the damn discipline part. It comes down to resisting the urge. One urge at a time. There is no magic secret to sobriety, you need to set your mind on it and not change it. If you leave the door open as an option, you will drink again.

Close that door for good and start living
What I'm starting to realize is that if I want to succeed, I'm going to need to be a little selfish in the beginning. The focus has to be entirely on me and not giving in. Agree?
My problem in the past is that I have left that door open, every weekend, and I walked right through it.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
^^^^ This.

You don't drink, Thomas. Period.
Thanks SoberLeigh, it really is that simple when you break it down isn't it? There is no magic potion that will resolve it. Its just breaking it down to its simplest form. Say no to the booze.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Thomas, if Friday, Saturday and Sunday are problem days, then you can plan. You can do something totally different on those days. Whatever your normal weekend routine is, you can change it. Spend time with sober friends, go to a concert or a movie, go to the gym, whatever works for you. You can do this!

Thanks Anna, I know I can do it. The question is will I? All I can say is that I really want to.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
What I'm starting to realize is that if I want to succeed, I'm going to need to be a little selfish in the beginning. The focus has to be entirely on me and not giving in. Agree?
My problem in the past is that I have left that door open, every weekend, and I walked right through it.
Selfish? Why is it selfish to take care of yourself? I agree that you need to close that door and put a lock on it and throw away the key.