Notices

Sad Drunk

Old 03-02-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi and welcome.

The road down the recovery path is simple, not always easy and that depends on our memory and our ability to NOT repeat the errors of our past.
It’s simple to say this will work “If we don’t pick up the first drink we won’t have to try to get sober AGAIN.” This fact along with a lot of work has worked for many for a lot of years.

A big help might be remembering how you felt when writing the above post and knowing you never have to feel that way again by keeping sobriety first.

BE WELL
I just thought of the selective short term memory that I have. I have been binge drinking for twenty years, since college when I found it preferable to living with all the anger from a tumultuous childhood. I used it to medicate, to help numb and then somewhere along the way, as I got everything I wanted and worked hard to overcome the past, I started using my childhood as an excuse to drink. Self pity and self loathing that I had worked on regarding my past came back as I kept disappointing my spouse by binge drinking once a month and sometimes letting go of deep rooted anger that I'm sure alcohol was projecting by this time since my life now is really good. Alcohol seemed to let me wallow. I'm ashamed to say that I think I enjoyed the ability to just let go of all my anger and feelings since I'm usually a pretty level headed calm person. One thing I am sure of is that every time I made a promise to stop, my spouse had hope until now. Now the light is out in his eyes and he has checked out, protecting himself and I don't blame him. I have sunk into a depression, gained weight and haven't pursued my dreams in a long time. My promises sound hollow even to me now and I'm ready to make some real change. The damage may be irreparable to my marriage but I know we love each other. I want to save it if I can and I'm definitely going to save me.
The question I keep asking myself is why? Why did I let it go this far and what kind of screwed up logic keeps making me do something that I know is poison.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
I feel your pain Drunkwriter. I'm a binger too. It has put the smack down on my life. I'm working on getting out of that miserable, dark place too. Welcome friend.
I feel as alone as I have ever felt and I feel so ashamed that I am the one who put me in this dark place. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
I'm only a week into this sobriety thing. Lots of "false starts" in my history. Or should that be "false stops"? Anyway...let's do this together, Drunkwriter!
I can't afford anymore false starts. I have no choice but to never let that toxic poison back into my life again. I'm a bloated mess with health problems, a sunk marriage, lost family and friends and my career that I love has been neglected to the point that I'm not so sure I can ever recover. All I can think is that this is all my fault. I did this. What makes one destroy themselves? Self sabotage their lives?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Now is the time to turn it all around and start rebuilding. ...it is possible, and before long you will feel proud instead of ashamed. it's much better.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drunkwriter View Post
I just thought of the selective short term memory that I have. I have been binge drinking for twenty years, since college when I found it preferable to living with all the anger from a tumultuous childhood. I used it to medicate, to help numb and then somewhere along the way, as I got everything I wanted and worked hard to overcome the past, I started using my childhood as an excuse to drink. Self pity and self loathing that I had worked on regarding my past came back as I kept disappointing my spouse by binge drinking once a month and sometimes letting go of deep rooted anger that I'm sure alcohol was projecting by this time since my life now is really good. Alcohol seemed to let me wallow. I'm ashamed to say that I think I enjoyed the ability to just let go of all my anger and feelings since I'm usually a pretty level headed calm person. One thing I am sure of is that every time I made a promise to stop, my spouse had hope until now. Now the light is out in his eyes and he has checked out, protecting himself and I don't blame him. I have sunk into a depression, gained weight and haven't pursued my dreams in a long time. My promises sound hollow even to me now and I'm ready to make some real change. The damage may be irreparable to my marriage but I know we love each other. I want to save it if I can and I'm definitely going to save me.
The question I keep asking myself is why? Why did I let it go this far and what kind of screwed up logic keeps making me do something that I know is poison.
I don't know why we kept on doing these things. Everything bad happens and yet you want to continue drinking it... I understand you completely. I almost lost the best thing that has ever come into my life. She gave me hundreds of second chances but it wasn't until I realized that if I didn't stop I would leave this earth much sooner than she would.

But I decided that I can't leave yet! I have many things I want to repay her for! I almost have a month without drinking; I swore I couldn't get past 14 days and hadn't done so in over four years. I guess others who have succeeded at starting there new life feel: If I could do this you can do this!

I hope you will give a good ol' honest try at starting a new life without the poison.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hang in there DW.