Notices

Quit on March 1st 2015

Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit on March 1st 2015

Hello all,

I've been reading the stories here for nearly a week now and I decided to quit drinking! It's my second day sober and I'm feeling enthusiastic
Went to a party on Saturday, with all the knowledge I read on SR still ringing in my head. Had drinks and watched my friend get smashed. It was new to me, since 95% of the times we went out, I was the one blackout drunk. After the haze disappeared, I decided to quit. I didn't want to be in those situations anymore - my problem always was, that when I started, I couldn't stop. Tired of the non-sense drunken conversations and embarrassing moments that stack up so quickly, that one moment you find yourself isolated in your home, so ashamed that you are scared to even contact people.

The last time I seriously attempted to stay sober failed after 9 months, because I had no support group or even one person who understood what I was going through. That turned out to be the demise of my sobriety and along with it went everything positive I had achieved up to that point - simply because there was no one there to point the positives out to me Finding SR and the community here is essential to me staying sober, I think. The ability to reach out when I need help and in turn help those, who need it, when I'm doing better is that missing key for me.

Taking it one day at a time, reading posts and stories on SR and being active in my sobriety is my action plan.

Thanks for having me
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck you have the same Sobriety start date as me Unfortunatley I am not feeling as positive more tired/ill from the weekends event.

I have the same reasons wanting to quit waking up in the morning dreading what you did the nights before was it cringing conversations, drunk dial/texting, overstaying your welcome, not knowing when to stop, trying it on with someone...for me the list is endless and I am trying to knock the alcohol and narcotics on the head.

All the best and if you need someone to talk to feel free to message me
Old 03-02-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi kkik5, welcome to SR.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! My sober date is March 1, 2011.

You're among friends here.

Dive in SR and let this wonderful place help you live without booze permanently.

I'm forever grateful to my Marcher 2011 family.

Cheers and hopefulness!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you and know you can make this happen! What a fantastic choice!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome kk and glad you joined
Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome to the club kkik5
Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate. Once I pass a certain threshold, usually 5 or 6 pints of beer, I start to lose control of my thoughts and actions. By 10 beers, I am a drunken idiot with no filter to what I say or do. I can never really remember what I said the next day so I always worry what nonsense I spewed the night before.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's my start date too. One last night of calling people and embarrassing myself to a sad shame. I'll try to always remember that I can't have one drink. I drink until I'm a fool.

Today is hard for some reason. I'm scared that I will forget that I cannot drink. So I'm going to my first meeting and I'm going to check in here daily. I can't let that "oh come on, have glass, it will be fine" voice win.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So it's day 15! More than two weeks sober, longest I've been alcohol free since the beginning of 2014.
Things are going great at work, I feel my brain is working with me now, not against me. Focusing on things is a lot easier, the motivation stores are slowly building back up. I'm thoroughly enjoying waking up without a hangover.
Over the two weeks, I used the 'playing through the tape' on many occasions, as in the early days of recovery there are many 'firsts' that used to be triggers for picking up the bottle - sunny day of spring (drink!), productive day at work (drink!), feeling happy about something (drink!).

I noticed something today and that's why I'm posting an update - since the sun is shining almost everyday now and its getting warmer, the old beer habits are trying to emerge. I used to sit on my balcony, drink beer and listen to music. Was sitting there on this fine Sunday morning and the AV presented itself by running a scenario of drinking at pub with friends while live music was playing. Somehow, the scenario didn't start like it used to - with images of drinking. But my brain redirected it to that point (which all of you know) of about 60-90 minutes before either blacking out or passing out, when you still feel somewhat 'fresh', still have plenty of money to buy booze and everyone around you or at your table seems to be the best buddies ever. But as I was assessing the hypothetical future scenario in my head, I felt something I had never felt before when mulling over these things - I didn't want it.
I successfully argued against my AV. Because in order to be in that situation I described, a good amount of alcohol would need to be consumed already and that is a definite morbid hangover waiting to happen. And the thought just dissipated, because in no way would I consider having a debilitating hangover the next day - cause I got work, responsibilities, tv series to watch, cooking to do, books to read etc. My brain no longer wanted me to be in that situation. At least this is how I felt.

I didn't need to play the tape the whole way through to the next morning, the shame and guilt, the stupid text messages etc. It simply wasn't acceptable at the stage where I knew I would already be drunk and therefore would have next-day-ruining hangover.

That was amazing for me. It has truly never happened before. Firstly because when I was drinking, I couldn't care less anyways. And when I was sober for 9 months awhile back, I always wanted to drink, but I didn't because I needed to accomplish a certain something. This time - I just didn't want to drink for all the crap it would bring along with it

Have a great day everyone!

P.S I started taking cod liver oil the day I stopped and over the two weeks, my skin has gotten better and my brain functions more efficiently. Maybe someone wants to try that out as well when in early recovery - gave me the extra energy I needed to get through the 'firsts'.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome Kkik congrats on day 15