Notices

Wake up call.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wake up call.

I feel like I am in a nightmare right now. I have had an alcohol problem for years, and it progressed to actually drinking in the car on my way home from work... So stupid. I drank several beers last night (I'm guessing about 24) and got in my car to get more alcohol. I passed out and wrecked my vehicle. I was arrested and charged with a DUI (first offense). License revoked for 30 days and $100 fine to get it back when I go to court. Not sure what will happen after that. Court costs, insurance, etc.... What the heck is happening to me! I am an alcoholic, plain and simple. I need help... I recognize my problem and I am seeking help. Thankfully,I live with my dad and he will take me to work. I am going to have to explain this to my girlfriend, who might decide to leave me. She has no idea that I am an alcoholic. Attending an AA meeting tomorrow. I think I need to take a leave of absence from work and get to a recovery program.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi vinyl fever...

I'm certainly not someone who can be a great source of advice and wisdom for you at this point....but its quiet around here at this time of the day so I'm responding to let you know that there are plenty of people here who can and will help you.

Sounds like you had quite a night....24 beers is 'several'? And if you wrecked your car then you're lucky to be still typing. And your lucky to have a girlfriend.....so this might the moment to really start and get on top of things.

Why not sign on for the March class.....you can do it now and it is a way of getting a bit of breathing space to think about what you need to do next.

And there will be people there who can help you better than I can. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi vinylfever, welcome to SR.

Have a read around the boards and ask questions. Be sure to come back everyday and when you need help.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey vinylfever,

I hope you can take this and make it a turning point.

Get after it my friend!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

This is a great place to come for support and advice
Old 03-02-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Big wake up call. It's time to stop isn't it
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My son is in exactly the same boat. He told me last night that losing his car was the biggest consequence he has ever faced. Money is secondary. It was enough for him to seek help. We also have to drive him everywhere now. Please get involved in an active sobriety plan.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome vinyl! I'm sorry this had to be your wake up call. I've been there! It can and will get better if you stick to recovery. We're rooting for you!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey bud.

Sounds like we can both drink about the same amount of beers. I too drink on the way home or wherever I'm going sometimes.

Anyway I'm trying to get my situation under control too.

I had a DUI about 3 years ago. I would never drink and drive at that time I just got drunk one night and got caught swerving.

I quit drinking for months after that......I then picked up up again only worse. You would think that being someone who formerly got a DUI I would never drink in the car but the past 5 months I have been pounding them while driving.

We gotta get better and we will keep us posted.

I'm also in the same Boat with the girl friend thing. I'm going to wait a week or so then have the talk with her.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Vinylfever!!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you here VF but I'm glad you found us

D
Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for what you are going through. I was in almost the same situation as you and was just a few months ago. I was very lucky not to kill anyone which could of happened easily. It was really scary and i'm honestly still scared. The consequences of my actions are still going. I am still struggling to stay sober. I wish you the best of luck. I am glad you realize that you have a problem and I hope you find the help you need to stay sober :-) Also I thought my bf would leave me too as we were only together 4 months when it happened but he was and is so supportive. Best wishes!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You've found a great place.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Believe it or not, VF, you have a lot to be thankful for. No one got hurt or killed in the car accident. You appear to be young. To have the recognition, at your young age, of your alcoholism is something that many of us didn't achieve for many, many years.

KNOWING that you are an alcoholic, and committing to stay sober are both huge steps in the right direction. Now, you need to find and execute a plan to get and keep you sober.

This is your opportunity. Good luck. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome its nice to meet you
Old 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome. I hope that this really is your wake up call. You don't ever want to be there again do you?
Old 03-14-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone :-) I just started attending AA and have a great support system at home and, of course, here on SR. I am 13 days sober since my accident. The trick is staying that way and not becoming complacent later on.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Glad no one was seriously hurt. Just pick yourself up and start over. Your girlfriend may well be fine with it as long as you stay sober xxxxx