Notices

New here!

Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here!

Hello,

My hope is to get some more information on alcohol and addiction. Let me know what you guys think:

My boyfriend of over a year drinks to excess, claims that he can handle his alcohol, yet still continues to get belligerent drunk every weekend. He drinks to get drunk and he likes to get drunk. In the beginning of the relationship, I didn't think anything of his addiction. But through the many tears, drunken episodes, and unhealthy arguments, I am sure that it is a clinical issue. He is a teacher and it does not affect his work, yet it seems to affect his relationship with me, his family, and friends.
It is unfortunate because his family and myself are all social drinkers and we can drink in moderation. He however, he has no control and gets aggressive and angry every time he drinks. He is 35, no children, not married, and says that he one day wants to have a wife and children.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi RedDog and welcome.

I am so sorry to read about what you're going through. The people here are very supportive and are lovely x
Old 03-01-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum RedDog!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
I strongly suggest you visit Friends and Family” forum on this site AND go to Al Anon meetingS in your area.

I doubt it’s not affecting his work, alcohol is a drug that affects us mentally and emotionally.

We cannot get anyone sober or drunk, it’s up to the individual to do something about his situation.

BE WELL
Old 03-01-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome - glad you're here.
Drinking affected every aspect of my life - like tossing a rock in a pond. The ripples are perhaps harder to see sometimes, but they are there none the less.

Keep coming back
Old 03-01-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, RedDog, to SR. I am sorry for what brings you here but you will find support, understanding and encouragement from the people here.

Look around the site; there is a wealth of information on alcoholism and addiction.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Red dog nice to meet you youl find so much support here & in the friends & family section
Old 03-01-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for directing me to the friends and family section! That is where I have found some pretty powerful support already! Hasn't been a dry eye since I've started reading!

Hugs to all!