Notices

29 Days - Boredom

Old 03-01-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

29 Days - Boredom

Boredom. Something I do not do well with. Be comfortable in my own skin when nothing is going on. Something else I do not do well with. These are a couple of my triggers that I am noticing more and more.

Today would have been a day where I totally wanted to use. It is cold and rainy out. The roads are iced so it isn't that safe to drive. I am bored. In the past I would have gave into this boredom and bought some alcohol or pills so that I just didn't have to be bored. I didn't do that today but I am still bored.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The best free streaming TV & movies from all across the web

I find that site has been a help today conquering boredom/urge to drink to kill the hangover as usually would do, it has all movies new/old in perfect condition just use the search box in the right hand corner. I watched The Equalizer and John Wick which are both amazing action films.

Hope that helps a bit
Old 03-01-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ha. I drank because I was an addict.

Any reason was good enough.

I now don't drink. No reason would be good enough.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi
In my early sober days I complained about boredom and an old timer responded : did you consider that you/we are boring by the alcohol we consumed and what its done to us mentally? Got me thinking.

BE WELL
Old 03-01-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If boredom is the reason you use to get high or drunk, then I assure you, your addiction will do everything in its power to make you bored. To the point that nothing looks fun or interesting except escaping into your drug of choice.

Some things have to be endured, and in early recovery boredom is one of the most common things we just have to push through.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If boredom is the reason you use to get high or drunk, then I assure you, your addiction will do everything in its power to make you bored. To the point that nothing looks fun or interesting except escaping into your drug of choice.
100% true. Living it, today.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why is it people think just quiting drinking is the answer? You drank to cover up your ails (depression or anxiety or anger or socoal issues or boredom or abuse or anger or X 100)

Your issue or ail is still there! Try working on that and developed new behaviors and attitudes to soften this malady so you can manage it and presume a normal healthy life with adequate coping skills. Stop looking out the window like a "cat in the hat" children's book....

Does that help ))????
Old 03-01-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itstheone View Post
Why is it people think just quiting drinking is the answer? You drank to cover up your ails (depression or anxiety or anger or socoal issues or boredom or abuse or anger or X 100) Your issue or ail is still there! Try working on that and developed new behaviors and attitudes to soften this malady so you can manage it and presume a normal healthy life with adequate coping skills. Stop looking out the window like a "cat in the hat" children's book.... Does that help ))????
haha gotcha!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi In my early sober days I complained about boredom and an old timer responded : did you consider that you/we are boring by the alcohol we consumed and what its done to us mentally? Got me thinking. BE WELL
oh I totally understand that statement. I was probably so boring. I would get inebriated so I could just sit on the couch, watch shows, and feel nothing. Now I understand why my mouth went so stir crazy sometimes! I used to think "why can't she just chill."

So right after I posted that message me and my were sitting on the couch while my son napped and I told her "I am bored, let's go do something when he wakes up." We ended up going to the mall, walking around and letting my son play. It was a really nice evening. Before I would have just stayed home.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beddy3484 View Post
oh I totally understand that statement. I was probably so boring. I would get inebriated so I could just sit on the couch, watch shows, and feel nothing. Now I understand why my mouth went so stir crazy sometimes! I used to think "why can't she just chill." So right after I posted that message me and my were sitting on the couch while my son napped and I told her "I am bored, let's go do something when he wakes up." We ended up going to the mall, walking around and letting my son play. It was a really nice evening. Before I would have just stayed home.
haha and I meant wife...not mouth...
Old 03-01-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is our sticky:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html