Notices

Sober February

Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober February

So I am excited that I managed to stay sober through February. As much as I would like to say it was 30 days, I had to choose the short month to start my journey. Oh well.

So I feel fantastic and continue to try and stay focused on other things to keep me occupied. The past month I have only worried about one thing and one thing only, not drinking. I decided to stop drinking because I was looking back at my life and realized that I never accomplished any goal I set for myself because of alcohol. So now that I am feeling well, I am ready to start working on some of these goals I had never met. The main one being weight loss.

I am looking at changing my diet drastically and wonder if it is to early in my journey to start thinking about these things? I am not trying to deprive myself of the needed calories, but rather cut out sugar and carbs almost completely. I will mainly eat meats and vegetables with some fruit. I wonder if I am setting a goal that is to high this early on.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 month of sobriety!
I am on the fence with doing anything drastic in early sobriety, especially in terms of diet.
One of the things I think is critical in sobriety and in life, is achieving balance.
I have seen people go from one extreme go to another extreme (drinking lots of alcohol to extreme dieting) since it replaces one obsession with another. Neither one is healthy. I don't think it's bad to focus on getting healthier, but I think you need to be careful.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Strategery when she said it's all about balance. I can't even count the number of times I've tried quitting alcohol and also tried losing weight. I put so much pressure on myself to be perfect at dieting/exercising that I would relapse and end up in the same crazy place. I would start out slow with diet/exercise and ease yourself into it. Good luck with it and congratulations on one month sobriety!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

1 Month is fantastic!!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the consensus GTTC - I made myself ill with a sudden spartan all or nothing diet change.

be healthier by all means, but be gentle with yourself for a while. Your mind and body have undergone some pretty stressful changes of late and I think it's good to be mindful of that?

D
Old 03-01-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe just cut out the sugars and white carbs. I cut way down on carbs but eat whole grain things and lots of veggies.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi GTTC! Congrats on February!!

I've got a little different take on your dilemma because I'm a person who loves challenges. I love to challenge myself and I love the incredible feeling of accomplishment I get when I set the bar high and succeed!

When I made the decision to quit drinking I gained an incredible amount of confidence. That confidence has been a springboard for other big achievements in my life. I don't know if this is something you can relate to, but if it is, then why not go for it?! You've stopped drinking....see what else you can accomplish! The sky's the limit!!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, balance is essential in all parts of my recovery.

I tend to be an all-or-nothing person and it doesn't usually end well. What keeps me sane and peaceful is balance in my life with exercise, diet, social life, everything really.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 month!