SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Volatile and Violently Vomiting... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/360778-volatile-violently-vomiting.html)

FreeOwl 03-01-2015 05:22 AM

Volatile and Violently Vomiting...

You know, it occurs to me that amongst other things that have not happened since I quit drinking over 14 months ago - I have not vomited. Not once.

It's really apalling how 'normal' it was at one time in my life to find myself regularly vomiting. Stricken with dry heaves. Puking in the dumpster, in the toilet, in sinks, trash cans, alleyways, the Seine river, off bridges, off cliffs, in the dirt, in the gutter.....

I haven't had so much as a bad cold in over 14 months. No flu, no terrible hangovers....

And not once have I tasted the horrible, cringing, nasty bitterness of body-wracking bile as I heaved from the poisoning effects of alcohol.

Yes - this is a kind of gross topic. But it's a real one. A very, very real one that I think many of us can relate to.

Today, I'm so grateful to be rid of the ME that used to see Volatile, Violent Vomiting as a routine part of life.....

Wholesome 03-01-2015 05:26 AM

Amen to that!

SoberLeigh 03-01-2015 05:30 AM

So glad that all of that is no longer a part of your existence. It is a little staggering 'to go back', isn't it, and recall the things we began to accept in order to keep the poison in our lives.

twal 03-01-2015 05:35 AM

Haha...yes freeowl. I recall throwing up in tons of different places and have probably thrown up in many places that I don't remember because of blacking out.

It's funny because when I drank I never knew when I was sick, but now I know because alcohol is not messing with my insides.

trachemys 03-01-2015 05:38 AM

Whaaaat? You mean people don't puke all the time?

FreeOwl 03-01-2015 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by trachemys (Post 5231865)
Whaaaat? You mean people don't puke all the time?

I know.... WEIRD, right?
:a122:

anattaboy 03-01-2015 05:42 AM

Yup, the 6am guzzle was always done at the sink (the disposal/sprayer side) as I could never be sure if it would stay down. I'm still loving that trash day is about half the bags for lack of empties.

IOAA2 03-01-2015 05:42 AM

Add to the vomit list, all the poor souls who while passed out choked to death on their vomit.

BFTGOGGI

BE WELL

Thepatman 03-01-2015 05:57 AM

I never puked from a bridge....

FreeOwl 03-01-2015 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Thepatman (Post 5231900)
I never puked from a bridge....

So many bridges.....

Lance40 03-01-2015 05:59 AM

Oh jeez - for me it was going to bed after hitting it hard in the evening and then waking up to a huge wave of nausea. After the first heaving session in the toilet I'd sit on the floor of the shower with it running while I'd try to focus as the room spun. After a while I would be able to close my eyes without getting a head rush that would send me heaving. I'd close my eyes until the next wave would build up and have me awake and heaving down the drain. Finally I'd pass out and wake up 3 hours later like a shrivelled prune before getting out and stumbling to bed. Sometimes this stuff is so terrible when you say it out loud that you can hardly believe it defined your life.

trachemys 03-01-2015 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by FreeOwl (Post 5231868)
I know.... WEIRD, right?
:a122:

It's like no one ever shat blood before, either.

Jake1961 03-01-2015 06:21 AM

Beside the vomiting and dry heaves, I don't miss waking up with a splitting headache and massive dehydration everyday.

2Wheelterror 03-01-2015 06:51 AM

Oddly enough i never puked the morning after drinking, but i lost track of the number of times i puked and rallied just kept right on drinking. I hated puking because to me it was a waste of alcohol, don't miss those days at all.

firstymer 03-01-2015 07:42 AM

Like many, I wondered if my drinking had truly gotten THAT bad. The extent to which I identify with this thread tells me that, yes, it had. "Normal" drinkers do not yack like I yacked. They don't dry heave like I dry heaved. If you are identifying with these symptoms and still wonder, then Houston, you have a problem.

bunnezjp 03-01-2015 08:04 AM

I threw up last Sunday, after completing a 52 floor stairclimb competition in 7.5 minutes. I will probably hurl at some point next Sunday during my 170 floor climb. Before that, no more puking attributed to drinking since last May :)

Bunnez

Carlotta 03-01-2015 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by FreeOwl (Post 5231903)
So many bridges.....

See! That's why alcoholics get a bad rep: going around puking from high up on unsuspecting passerby.
Seriously it was a good post and very on target. I only vomited a couple of times since I quit drinking: when I got the flu last years and when I had food poisoning a few months back.
I used to make myself vomit so I could drink more and not gain weight. Actually I have had so much practice with bulimic behaviors that I could to this day make myself vomit standing up by just flexing some of my muscles. When I hear of young bulimic women using tooth brush handles, their fingers or whatever to induce vomiting I still think: amateurs. I wonder if I should audition for "America's Got Talent" with that act ;)
Sick stuff

PurpleKnight 03-01-2015 09:09 AM

Yeap, don't miss any of that!! :)

JimdiGriz 03-01-2015 09:16 AM

To lower the tone :
I am one of the lucky souls that have never vomited on alcohol.. It's probably made things worse as I've always thundered on till blackout

To redress the balance I have **** in the bed and urinated by someone else's head in their bedroom, a sweet girl who I would have liked to have seen more of

JimdiGriz 03-01-2015 09:30 AM

Fourth step looms