Notices

Not sure if I should be here

Old 04-10-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno what to tell you.
I had to make some changes - and sacrifices - if I wanted to stay clean and sober.

D
Old 04-10-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Cohiba, I'm not a boxing fan, but know the importance of the fight and can imagine for boxing fans that it is must watch.

Just an idea, but what about telling your friends you'll be there for the fight, but arriving when it starts? Maybe go to bed at like 8pm and then wake up at 3AM and go out to the place you paid for to watch the game? People will be good and drunk by then and with emotions running high leading up to the fight, probably not even realize that you're sober and not drinking.

I think planning to get there at 10PM is setting yourself up for disaster as that's a long period of time to wait for the fight to start and I'd imagine staying up all night will trigger cocaine cravings.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Why can't you watch the fight at home with headphones in? = No noise to wake up the family.

There are always ways and means, you don't ''have to'' go to a bar where there'll be copious amount of alcohol and cocaine at all.

You could also turn your phone off and watch it the next day, as well.

Besides, Maywether wins on points as per because the fight has come a couple of years too late for Pacquiao, so now you know what happens anyway ; )
I always found watching boxing matches in bars quite a frustrating experience because most of the 'lads' tend to become legends in their own heads after a few beers and/or lines and think they could get it on with the blokes in the ring, although they probably haven't ever laced up a pair of gloves in their lives. You know the guys I'm talking about

Joking aside, I have been following your thread closely because we are around the same age and I've faced some very similar challenges to you in the past. I'm also a big boxing (& football fan). I have had to break the watching sport with alcohol habit, which has led to some early sacrifices (missed a few of my teams' games and worked out furiously instead), but now I'm able to comfortably watch them sober.

Too bad we're not closer geographically, you could have watched it here, I've got two sober friends coming round for a PS4 night, followed by the fight.

Make sure you stick to your fight though, Cohiba

Last edited by RunnerBean; 04-10-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-10-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Not be insensitive, but that sounds like a terrible idea Cohiba! I would have to be super human to fight off a bar full of booze and coke. You need a plan B...and maybe that's missing the fight.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

@dee74 I have made a lot of sacrifices but this is something I am passionate about and really love and fights like this never happen even for casual boxing fans know you never get an event like this. I will be watching it.

@nymets86 haha great minds think alike this is what I have planned to do I decided to head down there for 3am said to everyone I don't want to be hammered and miss the boxing or be so wrecked I don't know whats happening and not doing cocaine due to the heart palpitations I was getting and surprisingly two others have agreed and doing the same,we are meeting at 1am at an all night restaurant having a meal then heading there. I will be sticking to the vodka red bulls all night.

@Runnerbean thanks man really appreciate it shame I am far away. As said to nymes86 above going to go there at 3am the meal before will make me so full I won't want to drink either. I know what you mean about 'propa nawty geezers' who have never watched fight or even boxed then get off their heads and rowdy thats the main reason I want to go to this place to watch it as it's tickets and mainly members who all know/watch and participate in boxing so won't be talking rubbish starting fights. I am a big football fan as well and I know what you mean it really sucks missing the games, I know I am not ready to go to a pub yet to watch them but hope will be some day and stay sober as love the atmosphere with everyone it's not the same watching at home on your own or with a couple of friends I find. I am backing pac man by the way

@strangeangel I thank you for posting but missing the fight is NOT an option. It is hard to explain but this is probably the biggest fight that will ever happen in my lifetime and I can't miss it.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Cohiba, I'm assuming "I will be sticking to the vodka red bulls all night" was a typing mistake as I'm not sure that's a good replacement for avoiding a coke binge. Just red bull on its own would be fine, but I know vodka red bull has gotten me in trouble before because it masks the effects of alcohol and I wind up drinking a lot more, then it hits me very hard. Similar things happen to me at sporting events when adrenaline is pumping and I lose track of how much I'm drinking and moderation completely fails. If you're planning to avoid coke by sticking to vodka red bulls while watching a highly anticipated boxing match, I have a feeling you are setting yourself up for failure.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Where I was so used to typing vodka red bulls in the past my phone automatically corrects it to vodka red bull I just tried it now. It is so bad that it does that but also so funny.

No worries nymets86 I am just drinking red bulls

I still cant believe that, I am not editing it out.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

I just read through this thread now. Good luck to you Cohiba. I'm on day 11. We can do this! The red bull thing made me laugh.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Ha, seems that auto-correct is sending you a signal.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

@amandaw thank you and good luck also day 11 is brilliant

@nymets86 I know it's terrible my phones trying to make me drink lol I keep typing in red bull and it changes to vodka red bull every time don't know how to change it. I hate to think what other things it does this for need to be more careful when texting now
Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Adventurer

When is this fight going to occur so we can all be waiting to hear how it went from you?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

In the UK it will be on May 3rd at 5am

I will be checking in here after to let everyone know don't worry
Old 04-11-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

******* HELL TONIGHT WAS HORRIBLE AND I MANAGED NOT TO DRINK OR SNIFF

So it's day 12 alcohol free and I was getting bored sitting in doors so decided to ring a friend and went round his with him and his girlfriend for a catch up.

Got there they were both drinking but it didn't bother me, then her friend which is my recently ex girlfriend turned up with her new boyfriend who doesn't know we used to date. It was the weirdest most uncomfortable situation I have had in ages.

I started getting the AV and CV (first ever time) texting everyone I know asking where they are, what they are doing just to get out of there. I got a call from a mate who invited me out earlier saying theyd gone his and to come as loads of people are there and have loads of drink and coke and are having a massive session. I explained this to them and quickly left needing to get out.

I was heading down to his stopped outside the shop about to go in a buy a bottle of nephew and wray rum (strong as hell) when I thought "don't do it just walk away dont be a ******* idiot all your life". I went in the shop and brought a massive packet of crisps and a scratchcard came out, flagged down a taxi and came home.

I am so proud of myself for not going there and am now laying in bed relaxing with a packet of crisps, some cigarettes and a non alcoholic beer. I know the alcohol free beer and cigs are bad but after the night I have had I don't ******* care and if anyone wants to judge me for it whatever I know I am using it as a substitute for drink but it's not got alcohol and I won't do stupid stuff and after what I have just been through I deserve it.

I think someone must also be looking down on me proud because that £1 scratchcard just won me £18
Old 04-11-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days and a most successful evening in lots of areas, you have every right to feel proud of yourself.
Just found your thead and read a couple of pages, just reached the bit about when you relapsed at 12 days and compared the two posts, the difference is astounding.
You can do this, you are doing this!
Well done & keep on keeping on

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 04-12-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Thank You CelticZebra I know the difference has really made me happy Day 13 today feeling really happy waking up sober and went for a 5 mile run this morning to clear my head was in a really bad place last night and feeling a lot better today.

In reflection the non alcoholic beer was probably a bad idea and was just drinking it for a stress reliver instead or for the taste as I was telling myself but hey I didnt drink alcohol thats the main thing.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Great job Cohiba. I had a very similar situation last night in terms of being bored and getting a craving and actually being on my way to buy booze.. Diverted and bought candy instead, then sat on my butt all night. I'd also texted friends to try to set up a night of drinking, but backed out. I didn't have that awkward situation with an ex, but otherwise similar and happy to be here on Sunday with no hangover, no shame, no guilt, and no anxiety over what I'd done while wasted.

The NA beer might be a bad idea, but if you aren't getting drunk and moving on to the real stuff, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it or worry about people here possibly chastising you. I know for me that I enjoy the taste of craft beers, and will just drink Bud light, coors light, Budweiser, etc if that's all that's available. I don't like the taste of those. I don't think I've ever had NA beer, but my thinking is it will taste like crap and it'll tempt me to move on to like Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA or one of my other go-to beers. Don't want to explore that route, so I'm not judging you at all, just saying I'm not planning to do that.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good job Chobia and NYMets I have had some of the same feelings. It really hard to deal with when alone.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Last booze: April 10 2015

Hi Cohiba,
I think for someone with your history you're doing brilliantly at the moment. My only advice to you is to 'play the tape through to the end'. Carry on as you were doing and see yourself approaching say 50, with drink and drug related debts, ill-health, missed opportunities and quite probably, many regrets. Believe me - I lived that way and although I'm loathe to admit it, I wish I could go back to your age and do it all again sober! Stick with it, get to the fight date and see if you really want to lose what you've gained. You never know, one of the boxers may get injured and the fight postponed for months - it happens often enough. You might not want to bother with the rescheduled one.
Kell Brook would have them both anyway!
Best of luck!
C
Old 04-12-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

@nymets86 good to hear you didn't get the booze man you worked so hard really happy for you. Whats the chances though both of us near identical situation (except bitch ex) and both managed to avoid the booze great news. I know the alcohol free beer was a bad idea (it was actually a nice taste) and I was drinking it for the wrong reasons but I had to make it clear last night as the mood I was in I couldn't be dealing with the NA argument coming up. I am also just happy to be hangover free and 13 days sober, I think day 14 was when I lapsed previously so it's a big thing I didn't lapse yesterday

@sva777 thanks for stopping by and yeah I am finding it hard to deal with alone, but I know I have to as don't have any friends/family who don't drink so it is hard but I think it will be worth it in the long run stick in there.

@chadders thanks I know what you mean and was thinking about the future a lot but have decided to stick with it day by day for now, I know cocaine is my main problem and when drink it will lead to it so will take it day by day from now Don't jink it if one of them get injured I am coming to rant at you haha Kell brook is good and one of my favorite fighters but don't think he is that good yet I really want him to fight my most hated boxer ever Amir Khan but Khan keeps chickening. Thanks for the message appreciate it.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

This big fight coming up is on my birthday, it'll be my second birthday since my Big Plan and I can't see me being up so early on a Sunday but I know I won't be drinking or drugging coz I never drink. I think previous to kicking the booze beast into touch my last previous sober birthday was 13 years ago (only sober coz pregnant) think that's it since I became an adult, not sure that's quite right but my brain is still messed up about some things.
I think taking it a day at a time, even hour by hour or minute to minute if necessary, can really help to start with when needing to stay quit.
On a side note with NA drinks I have drunk NA wine in the past and didn't find it too bad but I knew it was a substitute for the 'real thing' so during another period of not drinking I used to drink some. Funny how I was given some at a celebration where it was the only drink offered to adults and I couldn't even finish a glass, it made me feel ridiculous, pretending this was normal behaviour when my friend hasn't had alcohol in 30 years and the two other people wished they could be drinking alcohol but one had to drive and the other taking medication. Such an odd situation. I personally want the real thing or none at all. I'm that all or nothing gal. Never content with a few or for others to have more fun, I wanted to be the party girl, I was always getting trashed, doing things I'd sworn not to do because my inhibitions had been lowered by a couple of drinks I couldn't control myself. The regaining of my control over myself is one of the main things I like so much about being a non drinker.
Congrats on making it to day 13

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself