Notices

Not sure if I should be here

Old 04-13-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 13! Today is my day 13, so I'm right behind you. I'm reading about your journey and you're an inspiration! I'm recovering solely from booze, but I understand the pull of drugs. I had an issue in my early 20s that thankfully I grew out of. The booze started about 4 years ago off and on (off during pregnancy and a while after). I'm going to start exercising too. I've found it very helpful in the past for not just physical reasons, but emotional ones as well. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

So everyone today is day 15 and still sober I am starting to get used to things and without doing so much coke I am starting to notice my money situation is improving rapidly which I am loving but I am finding that I am feeling a bit more of a boring person and I am become a bit more anxious around people such as worrying what they think of me, what to say, what I have said etc. I don't get why this is happening it seems the coke/alcohol was such a big part of my life a lot of antidotes/stories came from that and without them I am a bit bland....I don't know but I still don't want to go back so will try out the boring cohiba for a while

@celticzebra thanks for the message and good luck with your journey sounds like your doing really well with the NA beer I like the taste of beer also that was my biggest problem.

@amandaw thanks and well done on day 13 hope its still going strong I think drugs are my main issue its where most the bad things have come from. Excersise is really helping me also just got back from a 7 mile jog and now have blisters
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well, the choice doesn't have to be between hammered Cohiba and Boring Cohiba. The real Cohiba is what you will find if you give yourself a chance to explore that without interference of drugs and alcohol. It will take some time, but you will get to the place where you know who you are and you are comfortable being you. Now that is what makes a person interesting, not drunken anecdotes. If it is thrills you seek, that can most certainly be done sober, and be done better I might add. Find your confidence. You've been looking in the wrong place (hint: it's not at the bottom of a bottle).

The first time I quit, I was your age. I went through my 20's into my early 30's completely drug and alcohol free. I had no problem having a good time. I had no problem dating...because I made up my mind to do so. I redefined myself because honestly I was tired of being the blacked out chick, the easy lay, the hardcore partier. I found out I could still be the life of the party and be clean and sober. I could also be introverted and enjoy time doing less-than-crazy things. When you are no longer a slave to the substances you can do whatever you want to.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hey everyone haven't posted here in a few days as been very busy but all good news on the no drinking front, just got back from boxing and today is day 18 without booze

I am going to be totally honest with anyone that is still reading this (if any) I am getting bored of posting here. I am loving the sober life completely but apart from a few regulars who have been a massive help I am not finding people to talk with and communicate to regularly any advice? I have even been posting in other threads then this one with no joy, I think its maybe because I am at day 18 and so many people have just joined who need more help then me.

Anyway all still going well

@soberlicious thank you I think I have some anxiety issues brought on by the alcohol and narcotic abuse. I am hoping in time this will fade. I am enjoying being sober and feeling good about myself. Thanks for reaching out.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought about joining a group thread Cohiba?

Class of April 2015 is in this forum, Class of March 2015 and the Under One Year threads are in the Daily Support forum

D
Old 04-17-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Cohiba, glad to hear things are going well. I'm not much ahead of you, but feel like I went through a bit of the same with things seeming a bit easier after a few sober weeks. However, I'm finding its kind of a roller coaster (not all that unlike the one on when drinking heavily) dealing with cravings.

As Dee mentioned, the daily support threads are pretty good. A lot less activity than on this board and people with some sober time. I've been using those as a tool. I'm trying not to stray too far from SR as it's something that keeps me accountable, when I don't have much to keep me accountable in the real world.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

@dee74 I will try it later today I did try one before on here but they get busy very quick and if I don't check it for a day there is so much to catch up on I became lazy and stopped reading but thanks will give the others a try tonight.

@nymets86 great to hear you are still sober also. I am really struggling with the boredom and feel its making me a bit cranky. I was so sociable before deciding to stop and now am just sitting around bored. I have started working out again which helps but days like today I have nothing to do. It is really nice weather at the moment and everyone I know is in a pub watching the football or sitting in gardens drinking. It sucks having no one sober around to chill with and I think it is making the temptation harder.

On the positive its day 19 sober
Old 04-18-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you thought about joining a group thread Cohiba?

Class of April 2015 is in this forum, Class of March 2015 and the Under One Year threads are in the Daily Support forum

D
I was just thinking you seem to have made up your mind Cohiba (im referring to the title of your thread)

So glad you decided to stay congrats
Old 04-19-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

@soberwolf thanks I am really giving this a go, I have had a lot of time to reflect and realize cocaine is the worst thing in the world for me and if I drink at the moment in will lead to that. It caused most of my worst moments or it added fuel to the fire for the drink I am still unsure but I am happy at the moment 20 days sober and planning to keep it that way. I even went to the pub today to watch the football and didn't drink
Old 04-19-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

You should try exercising to stabilize the boredom in spare time. I also get bored without drinking. Cycling seems to not only take up spare time that I used to drink in but also gives me a feeling of accomplishment. Find something that you really, really enjoy doing besides having a drink and do that as much as possible during the week to keep you busy. The boredom will leave you once you leave the drinking thoughts behind. I wish you the best, stay strong!
Old 04-19-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Do your best

Il be 4 years sober from cocaine this june

Way to go on day 20 Cohiba glad you stayed
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on your days sober! Remember it may take 7 years to recover fully from the effects of the cocaine on your body.

Maybe define boredom so you can address that and create a life that doesn't include boredom.

That self centered fear can leave you, if you work on self in constructive ways!

Keep moving forward!
Old 04-23-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Hey guys I am currently sitting at 24 days sober really happy how well I have done and how far I have come. I have the boxing event in two weeks which I am worried about but taking things one day and a time. I really am not enjoying the new site by the way hows everyone else feel?

@alivesoul I am exercising regularly but still bored afterwards how are you killing the time?

@soberwolf thank you and congrats the cocaine is the thing I am not missing at all hate the stuff its evil.

@sugarbear really 7 years? I am starting to feel better already thank you for the message
Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Cohiba,
I think I've gotten used to the new site. 95% of the time I'm accessing it from my phone, so not sure it matters too much.

Similar to you having the boxing event next weekend, I have a birthday party to go to tonight that I'm just nervous about. I've fully game planned and have an exit strategy, a plan to just not go if I'm feeling like I will drink (told my friend that I had a ton of homework this weekend already and will text him later saying I cannot make it, but would love to grab lunch tomorrow to celebrate instead), and plans for just drinking water/soda if I do go.

This whole staying sober thing takes a lot of effort and planning. I do feel as though it's worth it, however, as it's now been well over two months since I woke up with horrific anxiety over what I might have said or done the previous night. I did make a stupid decision to drink this last Wednesday when I was presented with an unexpected situation (rain delay at a baseball game where a bar in the stadium was the only place to stay dry), but I didn't go overboard that night and sort of feel like I dodged a bullet.

I know that if I drink tonight, I won't have the luxury of the stadium stopping beer sales in the 7th inning to fall back on, and I'll likely overdo it. I cannot put myself in that situation again since I never want to wake up from a blackout ever again, so I need to make the smart decision and not even have a single drink.

Stay strong next weekend! And I hope you are enjoying this weekend too!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

@nymets86 I am still not getting used to the site I think that is why I am have been absent from here recently it's just not the same. I am 29 days sober today but yeah have the boxing this saturday more worried about the cocaine then the booze currenly going to have to see how it goes. **** sorry to hear about the drinking how did the birthday night go? I know what you mean the non drinking planning takes up so much of your time it is frustrating haha hope your good man.

29 days sober people still interested really cant believe I have made it this far seeing the amount of times I lapsed in the past after a week or so. I stumbled across this very interesting article listed below on here which has made me start to question am I an alcoholic or a binge drinker? I know I have a cocaine issue but the booze at my age im not sure any thoughts? I do not miss waking up after a huge surge on the booze though thats for sure.

The Difference Between Binge Drinking and Alcoholism
Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally I've been both a binge drinker and an alcoholic and to me, there is no difference.

They're just different plot points on the same curve Cohiba.

congrats on day 29.

Make your decisions good ones this weekend.

D
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
~sb

I used cocaine, weed, and alcohol as my solution to living a fabulously happy and joyful life, the problem wasn't really the substance(s); it was me and my perspective. I was very delusional in my thinking!! When I can take a look at me and what I do to enjoy life, I can change things and the world opens up in a different light.

I bet you aren't a boring person nor are you bored, but for now, your body/brain miss the rush that alcohol and drugs brought your way. It's a delusion. Give yourself more time away from those substances and get to know you better. Stay stopped and you will find you are still a social and exciting person! Develop those hobbies and activities you missed while drinking or using!

Life will be so much more for you!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Cohiba, great job on 29 days. The birthday party went fine for me. Really stuck to my sober plan and it worked. It was apparent to me how much more in control most of my friends are than I am as at the end of the evening, they were all sitting around, very buzzed and singing along as one of my buddies played some songs on the guitar. Had I been drinking, I'd have been hammered by that point and encouraging others to drink more. Instead, I just enjoyed singing along while totally sober, then got home, watched some Jeopardy on DVR and went to bed. Was nice waking up hangover and regret free on Sunday.

I'll be honest, I'm not even going to open that article. I've tried to convince myself far too many times that I don't have a problem with alcohol. I never drank every day, I never drank before lunch, I managed to moderate about half the time, etc. I just know that alcohol leads to outcomes I don't like and no alcohol doesn't lead down that dark path.

I see that coke is tops on your mind and that may well be the issue you need to kick and you can drink in moderation. For me, I can gamble and smoke pot in moderation and I have friends who can't do either. For me, that vice is alcohol.

If it's just coke for you, then I wish you the best in kicking that expensive habit. But if you have even a doubt that it's alcohol that's a problem, then don't try tricking your mind into thinking you don't have a problem.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

I remembered the big fight is coming up this weekend, along with my birthday!
I'm hoping the weather stays dry, I'm having a bbq party and inviting some friends, I've told them to bring their own drink if they want as they know me & my partner don't drink alcohol so we have none in the house.
I'll be spending extRa money on food and intend to enjoy another birthday free from alcohol!
I hope things are still going well for you and you have some good plans in place to help you through the fight and the after party without the alcohol leading to cocaine... How many days are you at now Coriba?
Keep on keeping on

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 05-02-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Cohiba, did your sober plan work for fight night (or UK morning)?