Notices

People being forced into AA...my opinion

Old 02-28-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

People being forced into AA...my opinion

I attended an AA meeting tonight, like I do most nights. It was the 2nd AA meeting that I wish I was not at. The first one was because the chairperson had to be removed for being drunk at a meeting. At this one, someone that is being forced to go to AA by the court, showed up drunk. Someone called him out on it and made the focus of the discussion basically why someone would show up drunk. This person has no desire to be sober, only to get his court paper signed so calling him out did nothing for him but make him almost beat the crap out of the other person. He did not do it and calmed down. It is my opinion that AA should not be forced upon someone by the court or otherwise. Ok, rant over. Comments?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've experienced this too and it definitely made me uncomfortable and distracted me from the meeting
I personally don't respond well to being forced into anything and I'm certain if I were forced into AA i would hate it and refuse to even try
That said, maybe something someone says in the meeting will resonate with whoever was ordered to attend..
Certainly can be discouraging to see though I agree
Old 02-28-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
In the US, the justice system can't "force" anyone into AA. People are always given a choice. Usually AA or jail. While there will always be people in meetings who don't really want to be there, I've seen many who came into AA through the courts, get sober and stay sober.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA meetings in my area tend to be rather secular and people use the term God loosely. Fact is though, AA is a spiritual program and it really bothers me that people are forced into it. Choosing a spiritual approach requires willing surrender. It's true that it also works for atheists and agnostics, but they willingly take on the program and do the mental gymnastics that may be required to make it work for them. That's something that someone forced into a program isn't likely in a space to do. Surely there is a better approach for these people based around a professional counselling model. I guess AA is the obvious choice because it's free and self-proclaimed fool proof if you do it right.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm not fond of the coercion that brings many individuals to their first meeting. However, that situation was almost always brought on by the person who is facing the jail time. Most of them know they had a problem long before they entered the judicial system. Many were more afraid of attending an AA meeting than continuing the behavior that risked putting them before a judge.

Some of them hear a word or two that eventually turns their life around. While I may be inconvenienced by their sometimes disruptive behavior, it's a small price for what may be a dramatic change in someone's life. I'm quite happy to pay it.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on the fence on this one. If one is offered a choice between AA and jail, which option would most of us pick? So people who are unwilling to quit show up. Begrudgingly sit there. Don't share. Don't care. It sometimes feels like it cheapens the program for people who are ready and willing.

But, sometimes people who don't want at first to be there gradually come around and decide to quit and do get involved.

I don't have a firm opinion on it at this point. I've seen court ordered people stay sober "stick and stay" once they don't have to be there.

A chairperson is usually someone who's been around for a bit so it seems like this one is having some troubles.

The court ordered guy? I've been to meetings where someone has been drunk. We've usually let them be unless they were disruptive. If they were disruptive they were first asked to please comply with the meeting format. If they couldn't do that, they would be asked to leave. I don't recall anyone calling people out for being drunk. Just for being disruptive.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Although AA has no affiliation with sects, denominations, politics, organizations or institutions (as per their literature read at every meeting) it seems all of those DO have an affiliation with AA and AA has done nothing to enforce their own policy on this matter. Some states have removed meeting attendance from their judicial process due to lawsuits easily won from the church/state perspective. Many probation depts. still consider probationers "their property" to do with as they please and violated many for non-compliance. On the flip side, my wife turns in a sheet every month and her probation officer is pushing for early termination so we play the game (but go to NO meetings).
Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've read many stories here of people whose recovery started with court ordered AA, so the issues not a black and white one.

As for drunk people at AA, personally I can't think of many better places for drunk people to be, but as I'm not an AAer it's easy for me to say that, lol .

D
Old 03-01-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I know numerous people who enjoy long term sobriety because of forced AA attendance. I have seen 100s maybe 1000s get their slip signed never to be seen again Or to show up 20 years later voluntarily.

This is the type of thing I turn over to my higher power. AA has no position on this so start a group where everyone has to say they have a desire to stop drinking.

My first sponsor warned me about people being drunk. His line was, "A drunk at an AA meeting. Who'd a thunk." I remember his line whenever there is someone under the influence and think, "But by the grace of God there go I."
Old 03-01-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One of the ways we in AA stay sober is to help another alcoholic. Attending many thousands of meetings over I never had occasion to see a disruptive drunk at a meeting. Yes some do have a tendency to want to talk but that was not disruptive, just a good remember when.

The signing of court papers is another matter. If members have bad experiences with this matter it’s time for a group conscious meeting to decide if they will sign the papers.

I personally would welcome all people with open arms because so many have the seed planted that can change their lives.

BE WELL
Old 03-01-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was forced by the court the first time.

The second time I was forced by my own life circumstances and the third time I went because I wanted to.

I think if I hadn't been forced that first time, I may not have finally gotten it when I did.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If I got myself into trouble with the law over my drinking I would prefer having to sit in an AA meeting to jail. However I do think that perhaps treatment options should be encouraged because AA is not the only solution for everyone. But forcing a person who is sick and addicted and in trouble to be around other sober people who are getting better will have an effect regardless of if it's wanted or not.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The desire to quit comes from within, not a Court order in my opinion.

However a court order has to be a serious wake up call. Congratulations on everyone who started their recovery with a court order and stuck with it!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was court ordered. Not forced. I had another option but diet want to sit I jail.
I didn't go to meetings drunk, but drank afterwards.
The attendance planted a seed. I had a place to go when I was given the gift of desperation.

I've seen a couple people drunk at meetings( " couple" might be an understatement). The majority are well behaved. Occasionally have to be informed how settings are run and disruptive behavior isn't accepted. And rarely one removed for the meeting.
Much better to see em at a meeting that possibly at an accident scene.

I haven't looked deeply into the laws of Michigan or other states, but for what I've personally experienced, heard, and read people are given a choice.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
If I got myself into trouble with the law over my drinking I would prefer having to sit in an AA meeting to jail. However I do think that perhaps treatment options should be encouraged because AA is not the only solution for everyone. But forcing a person who is sick and addicted and in trouble to be around other sober people who are getting better will have an effect regardless of if it's wanted or not.
But is this effect ( at least a high percentage) positive?

I believe it would be, but I was never put in that position.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The effect would depend on the person and the situation they are in... positive for some certainly. If a person has gotten themselves into enough trouble for a judge to order them into AA treatment then I think they should just dummy up and be grateful they are not sitting in a jail cell. What they choose to do about treatment is up to them.... some may be resentful and rebel but others may take it as a huge wake up call.

But I've thankfully never been in that situation.... any attempt I've made at getting sober has been a personal one and I've never been in trouble with the law.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I find it a lot more productive to focus on the people that DO want to participate and work on recovery, whether it's at an AA meeting or here. There will always be people that don't want to participate, it happens right here on SR even.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You never know, something like an AA meeting could get a person thinking in the right direction many years down the line!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

AA is good for me, I enjoy it! Maybe because I am a spiritual creature in heart. I might not like to hear them say GOD, when I started to understand it better, its what you believe who is God, Geez it can be my Love Couch that is my GOD, if it keeps me sober and keeps me out of trouble. The point is if you don't participate in these programs, or you have to go, or you don't like what others say then it isn't going to work. Your not there for others, really!! You there to keep you sober each day.
You cant control someone's else actions though, just control yours though. We have people who come to our meeting and have to be sign that they been there. But maybe they will learn things in there and be faithful to thyself.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Though they came to scoff may they remain to pray....

Maybe this gent hears something that helps - maybe not.
Perhaps someone else witnessing this was helped.

I don't think we ever can calculate who was helped at any given time. Maybe someone on SR read this and in some manner is helped.

We just never know