Notices

People being forced into AA...my opinion

Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I have no problem with court mandated people or intoxicated people at meetings as long as they are not disruptive but I have a slight problem with that
At this one, someone that is being forced to go to AA by the court, showed up drunk. Someone called him out on it and made the focus of the discussion basically why someone would show up drunk.
I feel that this was handled badly. We are supposed to carry the message and I feel it would have been way more appropriate and compassionate to turn the meeting into a first step meeting where people share their e.s.h. rather than to call that person out and shame them publicly.
If the guy was a problem, then make him leave. If he is just drunk, then share how it was, what happened and how it is now. Maybe something will click.

As far as court mandating AA attendance goes, it has been ruled unconstitutional by some higher courts and I tend to agree that it violates people's constitutional rights. Some States (not 100% sure but I think California does) give people a choice to attend AA or Smart or other groups.
It is also from my perspective in violation of traditions 3 and 6. Since my HG group conscience voted that we sign court slips, I go with the democratic flow and will sign them when I secretary. Some groups will not sign court slips.
and yes... it is true that many started their long term sobriety being mandated by the court.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I agree that he should not have been called out for being drunk. Also, the person running the meeting told him he would sign his paper after the meeting. It was discussed later that papers should be signed when presented, then it is up to the individual to stay or go. It is not AA's place to make someone stay when they want to leave. I get to privilege to chair Friday night meeting in March and am looking forward to it. I think I will sign them when asked to and let the individual decide to stay or go. One woman shared her story that she was forced to go to AA, went for 2 weeks, but forged her paperwork for the rest of the year. She came back later for herself, not the court. That is the way I personally feel it should work. I went to AA for myself, not the court or anyone else. My wife still drinks and hates AA, but she respects my decision to go.