Notices

Admittance - Thr first step?

Old 02-28-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have told people that my doctor has recommended that I not drink. This is a true statement. I don't go into all the detail of why my doctor doesn't want me to drink.

This is a personal choice for you and your comfort level.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Words are cheap. I show people what and who I am by my actions. If people notice I'm not drinking that's fine. Most probably are too self-absorbed to notice me at all and this is fine too.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ha, privacy on the matter wasn't even and option in my family. As soon as one knew, my entire extended family knew. I was annoyed by this at first, I felt my privacy had been violated, but I have gotten so much love and support. While it was really rough, the thought of disappointing them kept me going.
With my friends I selected who I told. I mainly got a lot of support. Some while voicing support have disappeared, it hurt at first but I have to come realize that I don't have a place in my life for people who want me to drink.
I do agree that the work place is definitely not the place to discuss it. Unless you have some sort of alcohol-centric job.

They choice is of course yours. I had to think about why it bothered me if people knew. It took a while for me to admit but it was because if people knew it made it real and there was no going back without looking like an idiot(which I would be).

Congratulations on starting this!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Admittance, is certainly a step in the right direction. Who you tell or don't tell is your business. My wife knows, and my father knows, that's it. I trust them unconditionally. Then again, I'm a rather private person and I like it that way.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts on this subject; really glad it was raised. I have wondered too and just told people Im trying to be healthier. Some still push; otherset it go.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't think there was a person that knew me that didn't know I had a problem with alcohol.
A couple weeks after I stopped drinking I visited my sister and her family. I told my sister I stopped and was getting help.
" yeah,right."
I think she heard it once or twenty times before.
I didn't run around telling anyone. Only my sister. After her reaction I realized it was going to take action to show I was serious.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What's the point in telling everyone?

For me I'm a "non drinker", I know the real reasons and have admitted to myself the problem I have with alcohol, but when I'm out and about, or in social situations, "I'm having a diet coke please" is as far as I go!!

There's nothing wrong in begin a non drinker, many people in world don't drink for various reasons, teetotal for life, religious reasons, alcohol isn't the centre of the universe and we have a choice to drink or not, the reasons can be our own personal choice, nothing more!!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey buddy, ive read your posts and sounds like we are at similiar stages. I am 31 days sober and have now had a few social events that i attended where it is obvious i am not drinking. I told clients i am on a health diet thatexcludes booze. With my close friends, i have started to confide that i have a problem and want to be around when my kids are adults. Feels good to start my new life. Good luck. Dave
Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Do what makes you comfortable and helps you also in a practical way. I only told/tell about my alcohol problem and sobriety in communities where we discuss recovery, my therapists, and my closest friends, or new people when they first confide in me with similar things and I feel it will be helpful. I like to approach close relationships with a great deal of openness and trust, so for me it's important that I'm transparent about something that has been such a big part of my life in such situations. I tell my doctors when it's appropriate and relevant. Never told a relative. Would never tell a work colleague or employer, for example. When I don't want to discuss it, I just say I don't drink if it comes up and don't even provide an explanation.

Some people seem to get a kick out of telling "everyone", and it's fine; I personally never felt the need to do so. I think it's most important that we clearly admit this to ourselves and become comfortable with it.