Notices

Is the 90 days thing real?

Old 02-28-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is the 90 days thing real?

Hello. I'm 61 days sober today. Doing ok. Not great. Im over the obsession to drink and commitment to stating sober but I just don't feel right. I have no desire to drink but am still tempted ocasionally to drink just for some relief. it's very sometimes because I just don't feel right. I feel lots of anxiety and depersonalization. I'm not depressed but I'm not happy either. I'm just blah. Sleep is ok just all over the place. Get 4 or 5 hours here or there. Im pretty sure it's just my brain adapting. Get that AV in my head saying "see this isn't working you're not getting any better. Have a drink in 15 minutes all will be right with the world." I know it's a lie but for a little while it will work. I'm not asking for the world but after 2 months I expected to feel a little better. I always hear 90 days is the first time many people come out of the fog a little. Anyone have that experience. Too be fair I drank for many years and the last 2 were morning till night. If I was awake I was drinking. So I know expecting to feel great this early is unrealistic. Still it's pretty rough right now.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt a bit of a shift around that time Dave. I drank all day for years too.

The important thing is not to lose hope - it will get better - and don't worry if it's a little longer than 90 days - we're all different

you'll be ok

D
Old 02-28-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on your 61 days Dave

I certainly started to feel a bit better physically after 3 months but it took a while longer for all the positives to come into play. Maybe try and focus on things other than alcohol which could make you feel better... take a walk or do something nice for yourself. You've come a long way and it really does get better but sometimes we have to keep adding things to our recovery to make those benefits keep piling up.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are feeling not right....I was the same, It sounds like PAWS. Some of us get it worse than others. There was a definite overall improvement at around the 3ish month mark.
The Paws symptoms come and go. Natural sleep is the best. Don't drink, it only makes it worse.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
I am sorry you are feeling not right....I was the same, It sounds like PAWS. Some of us get it worse than others. There was a definite overall improvement at around the 3ish month mark.
The Paws symptoms come and go. Natural sleep is the best. Don't drink, it only makes it worse.
I've considered that it's probably paws. Been reading about it. May be a blessing in disguise. Because as much as I'm complaining things are better than a month ago and I know I don't want to start this whole thing over. I've done the attempted moderation thing 3 times now. I know how that goes and I know I'd be right back here only id lose all the progress I've made. This is the longest I've been sober in 15 years at least
Old 02-28-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Dave i had days like this too congrats on 61 days btw

When i turned 90 days i felt good about it but i still had my hard days

I feel bad when i say hang in there but i only say it as i truly knows it gets better

You always have SR for support Dave
Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Dave,

You may just have to choose the lesser of the two evils. You could drink and feel better for a minute, but you would have the super sad crash of knowing you just blew 61 days -- surely the hardest part you will have to go through getting used to being sober. You may not feel the greatest right now but how are you going to feel tomorrow if you do the deed? Clearly the best thing for you is to hang tough. Lean into it a little. You will not regret it -- one day.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

congrats on 61 days

I felt awful at 60 days. Depressed, pessimistic, sat on my sofa a lot and hid away. I began to wonder if this was how I was going to feel forever.

I began to feel better around the 90 day mark, and at about four a half months in now, I feel pretty good most days.

Hang in there, you're doing great.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I find each day I'm sober I change a tiny amount. The only way I can measure progress Is by looking backwards. Sobriety is a journey not a destination
Old 02-28-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I find each day I'm sober I change a tiny amount. The only way I can measure progress Is by looking backwards. Sobriety is a journey not a destination
The change is frustratingly slow. You're right about remembering to look back. A month ago my hands would still ocasionally shake if took on too much and got stressed out. It was like the full blown withdrawl was still just hiding under the surface. At least that's gone now.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Dave36 View Post
The change is frustratingly slow. You're right about remembering to look back. A month ago my hands would still ocasionally shake if took on too much and got stressed out. It was like the full blown withdrawl was still just hiding under the surface. At least that's gone now.
If your anything like me. "I want what I want and I want it now without having to work for it"

I had to make a mental shift that I would never be fixed but if I treated my addiction on a daily basis I could stay sober for 24 hours
Old 02-28-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Of course as an alcoholic it's hard not to think in terms of instant gratification. I know it's gonna take a while but I get frustrated ocasionally. I'm not gonna drink but of course thoughts of the easy way out pop up. Glad I know it's not really easier.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I became reallllllllly clear at 10 months, noticing things I hadn't seen before......

Keep moving forward!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
If your anything like me. "I want what I want and I want it now without having to work for it"
Totally guilty of this too! I'm 72 days sober and been lolling in the doldrums a bit of late too. But when I look back it's amazing how the tiny imperceptible changes do start to add up. I'm looking forward to hitting 90!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Dave,

Congrats on 2 months. The toughest period for me was the first 3 months. Then things slowly started to get better. Like someone said above, it gets a little better every day. Even at 8 months things are still getting better. It takes a long time for that fog to clear out.

Best wishes.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

61 Days is fantastic Dave!! Keep it going!!