Notices

Bored into Depression

Old 02-27-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored into Depression

Hello Everyone

I have been sober for little over 5 months and am very proud of it. The latest issue which I thought would pass is driving me nuts. I have organized my work so it's efficient and I am on top of it. Family is happy and all seems to be going well but I have the whole in my gut. I am bored; I have time and lack of motivation at this time. It is causing me to feel a bit depressed. Have any of you had or having this experience? Any suggestions? Please help..
Old 02-27-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey roroswrld,

I feel like I've had a similar issue for a while. Lack of motivation but I also was experiencing chronic fatigue and constant feeling of lethargy, trouble getting out of bed, and wasn't enjoying activities I normally enjoy. So I finally went to the doc and I indeed had depression!

If it's really impacting your life I'd say it's worth getting checked out.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi RoRo congrats on your 5 months, try this see if it helps with what you asked http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 months, a big accomplishment. I'm right behind ya!

Been diagnosed with anxiety and depression here, so know what you're going through. Meds got my depression under control...now working on the anxiety.

Going to see the doc sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats roro

I think boredom is one of the easiest things to fix. once we work out the source

so you have any hobbies or interests? anything thing you'd like to do?

D
Old 02-27-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I got Sober I was presented with a lot of time on my hands, because all I did was drink on my sofa in front of my TV, take away drinking and my life was pretty boring.

Abstaining from alcohol is only half the battle, we need to carve out the new Sober life we want, new activities, new hobbies, rekindle old hobbies, new projects, what do we now want to do with out time?

Hang in there, it will take time!!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats roro

I think boredom is one of the easiest things to fix. once we work out the source

so you have any hobbies or interests? anything thing you'd like to do?

D
I love to play golf and take pictures but I just can't seem to get myself to get going. It is very frustrating.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I have gotten sober in the past, the 5 to 7 months mark was my danger zone. After being clear headed and energized after quitting, depression and intense boredom would grip me and lead to a relapse. This time, realizing this, I'm trying to brace myself for the depression and hope I can maintain sobriety and push though it. I dunno, depression weakens me and, being an alcoholic, I know a drunken night will lift it --temporarily--but then I will almost certainly go into full relapse.

I'm rooting for you to hang in allow yourself to be depressed for a whille and not throw away all you have achieved. I believe for many long time drinkers, it is part of the healing process.

Depression is insidious and I have no advice how you should deal with it. Maybe you need to allow yourself to hole up for a while, do things you enjoy, exercise, take a vacation or see a doctor. I have planned to eliminate as much work stress as possible during this upcoming period. I have to accept that depression will disable me to an extent.

Best of luck.