Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is the "relent-less" crap weather bothering anyone else?? i'm sick of it!!

Notices

Is the "relent-less" crap weather bothering anyone else?? i'm sick of it!!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Is the "relent-less" crap weather bothering anyone else?? i'm sick of it!!

I swear, it's been howling and blowing all day out there. My bed is right next to a large window so I can hear it all, and have been listening to it all day.

Frankly? I'm sick of this white, grey, dreary crap!! Anyone else here with me on this??

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason drinking is more pronounced in say...... colder climate areas such as northern USA, Russia, parts of Europe is because consistently seeing that white crap out there is just depressing. Not being able to do much or go many places only adds to the frustration, days like these are simply "boring" all things considered. Yes, even the internet gets boring after a while.

Something else about cold/snowy days that is relevant to those of us on this site is how it brings back those "warm and fuzzy" memories of christmas and winter-time drinking, which is a nuisance in and of itself. By the way, day 374 sober

And now on the news this afternoon they were saying it will continue to snow well into next week?? Gimme a fricken break!

Lol this afternoon i was joking with my buddy about "it's Christmas this early in the year?". I swear during the actual Christmas season of late last-year it barely snowed at all and in-fact, most days were sunny.

Rant over.

I swear, as SOON as I get the money or opportunity, i'm moving immediately to a funner, more interesting, and warmer place, maybe Texas or Florida...... so i don't ever have to see this white crap ever again!

You southern and warmer-climate folk are lucky, i envy you. With any luck i will be joining your ranks in the not-to-distant future

aaaaaaaahhhhh
Old 02-26-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I now live in grey, rainy climate but I lived in a warm, tropical climate and I have to say that the weather and climate had nothing to do with my drinking.

In the warm, semi-tropical climate I would sit by the pool in the lovely warm dusk and have my first drink. I was tan and did all of my drinking outside. I would stay on the lawn chair with my laptop late into the warm, breezy evening and late into a blackout.

In the cold, gray climate I would sit on the porch with a blanket around me and sit with my drink which made me feel warm and snuggly. I would switch between the porch and inside drinking late into cool, drizzly evening and late into a blackout.

I will say though that hangovers were much more tolerable in the grey, cool climate. That bright sun drove me crazy every day, piercing my eyes every morning. However, it looked weird to wear sunglasses to shield my puffy, red eyes in the cloudy climate so I guess the sunny climate helped me hide my hangovers.

Whether you are in Juneau, Alaska or Honolulu, Hawaii, the drinking gives the same effect.

(There's no denying that warm, sunny weather is nice! I can relate)

I just thought of something else. I quite drinking last June, right at the beginning of summer. I thought Well dang! I chose the most difficult time of year to quit. What was I thinking?! I got through and then fall came along and I found fall kinda hard with the cooler weather and holidays coming up. Then when winter came I thought Dang, winter sure is hard! All the seasons are hard but we'll get used to it.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm tired of the cold weather as well. Weather is definitely a trigger for me, but all weather is. I would prefer to be in the desert southwest right now.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
I'm tired of the cold weather as well. Weather is definitely a trigger for me, but all weather is. I would prefer to be in the desert southwest right now.
It's when it is like this every day, that's what gets to you.

1 or 2 days, sprinkled throughout the week or month are fine. But when you get into 4, 5, 6, 7 days in a row, I mean come on
Old 02-26-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I'm one of the few who loves this. I hate heat. To me, nothing is better than bundling up and being nice and cool.

My drinking also doesn't really seem to be at all impacted by what season it is. I've had bad spells in all four seasons. I think maybe the winter sometimes leads to prolonged bouts of depression/drinking for me due to the length of daylight. Definitely not impacted by temperature.

When I was out of New York City last weekend, there's was a lot of snow on Saturday night. It was just beautiful out.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with you, I am so tired of below zero wind chill temperatures and blowing snow that I could scream. I've had enough, we are moving to Texas this spring. Told the boss today and will have the house on the market in April. My last brutally cold winter!!